“Very good hotel”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #36 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 April 2010

This was not planned because we have 4 nights booked at Renaissance Times Square hotel, but because they overbooked, they sent us to this hotel and paid all the expenses.
We loved the hotel, the service, the room, the staff and the location. Everyone was nice to us and they make us feel good.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 March 2010

What a nice, serene retreat in the midst of a big, bustling city!

Gone are the formal, snobby days of old. The Ritz-Carlton now has the friendliest staff ever! It was quite a surprise and a treat.

The hotel’s location can’t be beaten for convenience because it’s right smack in the middle of the city and across the street from Central Park.

The room was superb, of course. Understated elegance. And our bathroom was huge with marble counters and tiles. There was a tub, a separate shower and a convenient light dimmer

We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a room overlooking the park and we had a telescope in one of our two sit-in windows. What a treat!

And high on the cute scale were the uniforms of the housekeepers with crisp white pinafores over black dresses.

Unless you’re rich, however, skip the room service breakfast ($14 for plain yogurt) and nip around the corner to one of the several walk-in markets nearby. (Well Green Market on 6th Ave. has quite a variety.)

Overall, it was a very relaxing and accommodating place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2010

The previous review say it all, The Ritz-Carlton Central Park is the perfect hotel for a New York City stay. It may not be the swankiest of the hotels but the personal service is second to none. From the minute you arrive you are treated as a special guest and are pampered by the staff. We had Club Lounge access as part of the package, which is as close to an all incluisive package as you can get. really good value and the convenience of not having to find places to eat means you can get on with being in the most vibrant city on earth.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AUKTourist
Reviewed 11 March 2010

I really like this property for its great service and location. Everyone from the front desk to the housekeepers were very nice and professional. I especially appreciated the doormen and bell service. They were very courteous and always right there to render service to us. One of the doorman even put us in the hotel's complimentary black car one evening without asking. We are regulars to NYC, so we did not use the concierge at all, although I have heard that they do very well with last minute reservations.

Our room was well appointed and quite spacious for New York standards.

I always liked the Central Park South area, since it's close to great shopping, restaurants, and mid-town where my office and clients are located. At the same time, it is also a very beautiful area with the Park right in front of the hotel. So, the hotel is ideally situated for my needs.

My only minor complaints were: 1) Housekeeping was a bit subpar during our stay. Both pieces of chocolates left by our bed on the first night had been unwrapped by someone else prior to us. I tried to "hint" to housekeeping to give us new chocolates the next night by flipping the chocolates over to expose the open wrappers. But housekeeping merely put the same pieces of chocolate neatly back on the nightstand. I finally threw them away on the third night. Also, I left a badly stained robe on the floor. Housekeeping just hung it back up in the bathroom instead of replacing it with a clean one. The next day, I put the same robe on the floor again with the stain showing more prominently. Housekeeping took the robe on that day, but I never got another robe for the remaining duration of our stay. Lastly, they missed cleaning our room on one day and didn't leave a message indicating that they had came by if they did.

2) The sound proofing of our room was not very good at all. We kept hearing the room next door bang their door shut. We also heard the housekeeping/ room service outside our room almost every morning.

3) We got an interior room, so our room looks out to other rooms. I admit we got a decent deal from American Express- stay four nights and get one free. However, it really bothers me when hotels give you a really crappy room because they offered you a deal. If the deal is offered, I'll take it. I just wished that they would disclose that the rate is for an interior room with no view. That way, I can make an informed choice and determine whether the savings outweighed the disappointment of the inferior room. The hotel could always make your day by upgrading you upon check in if they had a better room.

4) My husband tried the BLT for breakfast one morning. He claims it was one of the worse breakfasts he's had, especially given the price. The cappuccino was absolutely awful, according to him.

I'm inclined to give this hotel another chance the next time I'm in NYC, as I'm a sucker for great service. I have stayed at many different hotels in NYC, and the RC Central Park's service is definitely a notch above the rest. I cannot say the same for the RC Battery Park, which I will not stay at again. I do hope to get a better room and have better luck with housekeeping here next time.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank angel_valentine
Reviewed 23 February 2010

Stayed here for 5 nights for our honeymoon in December. We couldn't have wished for a better location or better service. We received complimentary champagne and the hotel also informed some of the restaurants that we visited, where we also then received complimentary drinks. One evening whilst we were out at a show the room was decorated with rose petals and we arrived back to soft music playing. Nothing was too much trouble and there was not a single area we could fault.

Both my husband and myself had the best nights sleep we have ever had as the bed was super comfortable with a feather pillow top mattress....heaven!!!

We would definitely stay again and was well worth the money for a special occassion.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Juicy33
Reviewed 8 February 2010

As my second time at this hotel, the service could've only gotten better. The hotel wre happy to store our luggage for the day until our rooms became available, so we could go sight seeing. The room service was on time and everything was immaculate when delivered. There were no problems at all, staff were happy to help at any moment. Would stay again!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for a long weekend visit to NYC. The hotel has a great location with beautiful views of Central Park.
Understated elegance and top-notch service access to concierge lounge was great with varied food and beverage presentations thoughout the day.
Dinner at BLT Market was great; they sent our dessert up to our room for us.
The room and bathroom were spacious and beutiful; the only fault we could find wiht the room was that the TV was too high which makes for akward viewing form the bed.

• Stayed: January 2010