“Second Times a Charm...”

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Central Park
Ranked #32 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Second Times a Charm...”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

It has now become a tradition for our eldest daughter (11 years young) to ask for New York rather than a birthday party! Easily I booked the Ritz Carlton Central Park as our trip there last January was unbelievable. I knew i would not be dissapointed as we are return guests to many of their chains. Again, the Ritz did exactly what we expected. Check in with Daniel at the front desk was quick, pleasant and very accommodating. Its amazing the incredible "people skills" staff at this company have and it makes things that could sometimes be time consuming and slow quite enjoyable. Our suite that we had booked was not quite ready and immediatly Daniel arranged an alternative (and desirable) option. We once again opted to take Club Access and I cant encourage people enough to try it. The staff is always there for your every need (fresh coffee, hot chocolate, etc) as well as keeping the lounge spotless! The concierge in the lounge (Carmelinda) was phenominal at booking various events/activities you may be interested in or just giving you the answers to the slew of questions you may be wondering about while in NYC. Do not get discouraged with rumors of "unattainable" rooms prices etc...remember, you get what you pay for and the Ritz Carlton Central Park is worth every penny!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
McLean, VA
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed 3 nights with wife for our 20th wedding anniversary under a special offer I discovered on the web. I've stayed in many hotels in Manhattan since 1975 and most have had disappointingly small rooms, some were uncomfortable, most were rather noisy, and others had rather dull decor and dull bathrooms. This time, admittedly for a huge price (but a significantly reduced one at that), we had a very large room with fabulous, traditional English furnishings, in wood and silk, that was immensely comfortable. We had a very nice view of Central Park out of two sets of window from the 11th floor. Soundproofing was sublime and the busy world of Central Park South was reduced to less than a murmur from within our room and the hotel overall. The bathroom was generally very good, clad in lovely grey and white marble, and with a delightful separate toilet room with its own door, and would receive a grade A except that the bath was too short -- it was beautifully deep, but about 1 to 2 feet too short for me to be able to stretch out in it. This design was obviously in order to leave room for a nice large shower cabinet (which was just superb, I must say). Dining was generally very good although I didn't like the way they served us sprouts as a side dish with hidden bacon bits which neither of us eat. Service was generally outstanding throughout the hotel, and nothing required more than one phone call to get something which usually arrived pretty promptly thereafter. The concierge was extremely helpful and responsive, and obtained flowers for our arrival and also for presentation to my wife at our celebration dinner. The front desk upgraded us the instant we checked in. These were lovely bonuses that have great value. The final bill for the stay was moderately gigantic, but I'd been expecting it and had braced myself beforehand for the immense cost. But it was worth it and RC definitely helped make it memorable. If I have a few thousand spare dollars lying around in the future, I'll do another mini-honeymoon trip like this and stay at RC again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The Ritz is a nice hotel in New York with exceptional service and comfy beds.

However, I have average income and stayed there as a gift from a lovely friend. Whoever the "normal" guest is there, it is one who has a lot of disposable income. For instance, I ordered a soup and beer from room service one night, at a jaw dropping $24. Then $6 was added as a "delivery charge". Then 18% service charge and tax. Then I tipped $2. So, I paid almost $40 for beer and soup!! There is no coffee available in the rooms (only bottled water is free) and continental breakfast with coffee tops $50. So, we went to the deli around the corner...$18 for 4 coffees and breakfast sandwiches, versus $200 at the Ritz. A small bag of Kettle Chips there was $7! Internet in the room was a whopping $14.95 a night.

The hotel and rooms also didn't compare at all against the Ritz in Shenzhen, were I can afford to stay for special occasions since its just under $200 a night. So, you are really paying for the location and the "historical" quality. A standard room at the Ritz in Shenzhen looks out over the city, is 8 times the size, has Nespresso machines and lots of free snacks, nicer room accouterments, bigger bed, is quiet, and plenty of toiletries.

In comparison, our room in New York faced other rooms and a water tower, is small, is bare bones without even toothbrushes (I'm sure they would bring them, but still), and has a lot of noise from other rooms and the hall. So, you are really paying 80% of the room cost for staying next to Central Park.

Personally, I'm in my twenties, like to shop down in Soho and eat in the West or East village, so a room at one of the Tablet Hotels like Gild Hall or 60 Thompson is 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the Ritz, the rooms and amenities are much nicer, and the location is "hip".

Anyway, for certain people, the Ritz is going to be the perfect hotel for you (I think a lot of the guests must get discounts through their work or are just really, really wealthy). Its a great location to get to Rockefeller Center, Times Square, and old school restaurants. If you are saving up your money for a once-in-a-lifetime luxury hotel stay, I think you would be gravely disappointed. If you're a techie, or want a modern or "young" experience, this hotel is definitely not for you (its like the W hotel's great-uncle).

Finally, the TV didn't work well...some channels didn't appear, some didn't have sound, some had the sound out of synch. It would be cool if they put in rainforest showers as well.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank powerrose
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed here Thanksgiving Weekend with two families with a bunch of teenagers . The location is great right on Central Park and so convenient to all the great stores . The rooms are very tastefully appointed and the beds were extremly comfortable . We had club level rooms and it was a great treat traveling with hungry kids . Club Level has a great view of the park and the bustling street and had some really nice appetizers and desserts available throughout the day /night . Service was great they treated our entire party like royalty . The spa looked great we plan on checking it out next time .

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I know it's expensive BUT it's worth it. The rooms are fantastic and the service is out of this world. If you can swing it I highly recommend that you get access to the club lounge.....a wonderful place to unwind other than your room. They have fabulous food and they go all out to make you feel special. I go in December every year....actually headed there Dec 6, 2010 and can't wait....there is usually a big xmas bazar by columbus circle. The rooms are great....tub is delightful......BLT Market is divine and located in the hotel. I LOVE IT THERE!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
uk
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Beautiful rooms and beautiful service, the hotel is in a fantastic location and if you can get a room with a view of central park it is so worth it. We were on the 21st floor - amazing. Its just off 5th avenue which is perfect for shopping. We didn't actually eat at the hotel as we preferred to go exploring the many restauarants, ones to note are Mortons Steakhouse - best steak we've ever had and amazing service. Spice Market if you like oritenal/thai food. Don't both with Milos fish restaurant - an absolute rip off and appalling service. There's also a great italian on Madison avenue, Pazzo Motto I think, great food and great atmosphere. Absolutely loved New York and would definitely stay here again, nothing is too much trouble from finding particular shops, or booking restaurants. The Spa is Fab !! Had a wonderful silver rain pedicure - worth every dollar !! Highly recommend this hotel, and a special mention to Ender who is a credit to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megandmatsmum
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We loved our week a the Ritz Carlton. We had come to the Ritz Carlton after a disappointing week at the Dorchester. Everything about our experience at the Ritz Carlton was fantastic, from check in (they actually had our room.)to food (delicious, plentiful and warm), to help from the Concierge desk (They got me into a restaurant that I was unable to book.)

I think that the best thing about the Ritz Carlson is that they really seem to care about the level of service that they provide. What a treat.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business