“Great Location, but Small Rooms”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #304 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Easy walk to Times Square and Central Park.
Hotel right between 5th and 6th Avenues!
Didnt try the hotel breakfast or the restaurant.
Although as you exit the hotel entrance (which is tiny dont miss it as u walk by!) walk to your right and there is a nice restaurant with breakfast which i enjoyed very much and wasnt expensive.
WiFi was weak in my room, on the uppermost floor of the hotel, but little better on the lower floors and lobby.
Room was tiny... But nice decor and bathroom.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank DrMG_Q8

Reviewed 4 September 2012

Tucked away in midtown right next door the the famed Algonquin Hotel, the City Club is thiiiiiiiis close to being an awesome little boutique hideaway. First, the good: The staff is super friendly and pleasant. The rooms, while New York City small, have comfortable beds, and the daybed they set up for us was a million steps above the usual rollaway. The not so good: what is UP with the shower? Separated from the rest of the bathroom only by a half glass wall and a clear shower curtain, we flooded the entire bathroom every time we took a shower until we jerry-rigged a barrier; rolled up a bath towel placed on the floor to act as a barrier. Plus, it took ages to get the water to the correct temperature, and to top it off, we had to call somebody up to help figure out the lighting. This is obviously an example of paying attention to design at the expense of comfort.
Also, the dark hallways felt sort of creepy. There is no carpet (in both hallways and rooms) so be sure to pack some slippers.
Would i recommend it? If the price is right (they were running a special at 20% off a four night stay), I'd say sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SportsFan59
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I stayed at the City Club for one night in New York recently. I had to make a quick trip for personal business and didn't want to spend a lot on a hotel, so I took advantage of a very good deal ($169) on Jetsetter. The location is very convenient, and just far enough away from Times Square to be relatively noise-free. The service was unfailingly friendly and efficient. I was upgraded from a Petite to a Queen room, and thank goodness--the Queen room is tiny so I wonder what the Petite would have been like! But the Queen was perfectly comfortable for one.

The hotel is a bit odd. It is very dark--there is almost no lighting in the hallways and the dark floors don't do much to help illuminate things. The floors are cork tile (in the hallways and the rooms), and are a bit sticky and rather worn (and faded near the windows). I would say this is not a great flooring choice for a hotel.

The bathroom in my room was immaculately clean with a GREAT shower--fantastic water pressure and a super shower head. As a whole, the bathroom was adequate, but you can tell it was designed by a man--dark brown/black marble wall tile, the dark cork floor, and dim lighting, so forget doing anything in there that requires you to actually see, such as putting on makeup. Still, there were lovely and plentiful toiletries from Bigelow, great towels, and nice robes. And again, I was just there for one night so how far wrong could I go?

The bed was way too soft for my liking and a bit lumpy, and the sheets were a little cheap and had a couple of small holes in them. The air conditioner was incredibly noisy and rattle-y. There were only two accessible plugs (2 plugs, not 2 available outlets, so if you have more than a phone and a laptop, don't plan to charge everything at once). I was on the penthouse floor and had a small terrace attached to my room, which would have been quite nice if I had spent more time at the hotel. The large sliding doors to the terrace also meant the room had nice daylight. The wallpaper was peeling, which gave a kind of seedy feeling to an otherwise quite well-kept room.

This is not a luxury hotel, but you will not pay luxury prices. It appears that the rack-rate for a petite room at this hotel is just shy of $300. That would seem like a LOT to pay for a room like the one I had. But for $169, it really can't be beat in the middle of Manhattan. I would probably stay here again for a rate of under $200.

Room Tip: If you are staying a few days and would have time to take advantage of a private terrace, ask for a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Stayed here for three nights. It is advertised as a four star hotel but at best it is a three star. The room we stayed in was small even by NYC standards. There was barely enough room for our carry on luggage. Our window was covered with a rolling blind and no curtain. This allowed light through early in the morning. The room was quiet since it faced a condemned building. The decor was cheap and there was no seating to relax on at the end of the day.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed for 4 nights at the City Club in the petite room - pretty small room, but enough if you're not spending much time in your room. Hotel was clean, we only once spotted a Cockroach - but i guess that's pretty usual for New York hotels in older buildings. A highlight were the delicious cookies we got every day and the service was nice as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We stayed at the City Club Hotel with our 2 teenage boys in July and at the end of our holiday in Aug. The staff were very friendly and helpful, room was spotless and clean and smelled fresh. The location is great - a 2/3 blocks from Times Square - between Fifth Ave and Sixth Ave. We prefered this hotel to the big hotels on Times Square and would not hesitate to stay here again. Highly recommended if you like smaller boutique hotels.

Room Tip: We booked a room with a queen bed and asked for a roll away bed. The room had a day bed. It was a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank worldtraveller815
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed here for business for 10 days in June 2012, chosen because it was close to work as well as being close to attractions, and it was significantly cheaper for the dates compared to other hotels close by that I had stayed in previously. I'd actually give City Club 3.5 stars.

When walking in, the hotel lobby is tiny, and you may have to help yourself in with bags. However the service was excellent, very friendly which was appreciated after a long long journey from Melbourne. And I received friendly and helpful service the whole of my stay.

The room itself was even smaller. Even by NY standards, there was barely room to put down my suitcases on one side of the bed, and if there had been two people, someone would have had to crawl out the end of the bed to get out. And it had the smallest wardrobe I have ever experienced, it was tiny, and with the snacks attached to the shelf in there, by the time I had hung up some dresses and trousers, they were covering the snack shelf, as well as my pants being folded over at the bottom. There was nowhere to put smaller garments or to store luggage so I ended up living out of my suitcase, and being creative in using other spaces to put things like toiletries (there weren't many options). The bathroom while pokey had a big shower, but with a shower curtain (which I really detest), the toilet was kind of unbolted from the floor so moved a bit, and there were no shelves to put anything. There was a separate bidet, if you like that. For me I would have preferred the space to be used for storage. Forget a work table. Funnily enough one of my colleagues was telling me how small her room was and when I saw it, it was a comparative palace. So if you want a bit more space, make sure you go for the slightly bigger upgrade.

The bed was comfy but it was a short double, not a queen, so my feet hung over the end, and there was just enough space for one small side table next to it. The power points were in strange locations. The room was well serviced every day, and I received complimentary chocolate chip cookies every day, which was a nice treat to come back.

The air-conditioning was incredibly noisy, but needed it on during the night as the room was too stuffy. And speaking of noise, you could hear everything that went on in the corridor (people walking passed), as well as hearing people talking/TV in rooms as you walked passed them which was a bit off-putting. The upside was that the room was not facing the road and was incredibly quiet. Overall the hotel itself was quiet and didn't disturb my sleep.

The hotel is marketed as "boutique" and I think they have the right intention. While a little shabby and strangely laid out, the room decor had a cool vibe, the linens were nice and the free toiletries were all good quality. If you're in a hurry, the lift is ancient and slow, and one was frequently being worked on when the other was (thankfully) going.

The hotel guide was out of date (in room dining menu was not correct) however the food was from the attached DB Bistro Moderne restaurant - which was excellent. Typically, breakfast was expensive and you're better off going to the diner just down the road or get great coffee from the coffee shop across the street. However, for dinner, the restaurant was one of the best restaurants I have ever been to attached to a hotel, and stand-alone an excellent restaurant. Really fantastic food. A great wine list, with an enthusiastic and helpful Sommelier, and we had brilliant service. A definite recommend if you want to spend the money on a nice dinner. Also a good bar if you just want to go in for a drink (good cocktails).

So you might think a lot of what I've mentioned above was negative, but really they were little things, and once I was used to my setup I really had a good stay for the limited time I was actually using my room. I felt safe, great location, good service, and if you just want a bed to rest after a exploring the city, then I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business