“Nice stay”
Review of City Club Hotel

City Club Hotel
Ranked #297 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The City Club is a perfectly located small hotel ... safe, quiet, and modernized. I had a 'petite' room on the 9th floor. The front desk gave me the option of upgrading to a larger room as I checked in, as the 'petite' room is very small. But I was traveling alone, and I'd already read the Tripadvisor reviews of the petite room and knew it was snug but efficiently designed.

The only negatives about my room are the wallpaper, which is looking a bit tired, and the minimal shelf/storage space. However, the bed was comfortable, linens were very good, the fixtures were all modern, and, most importantly when it's 9 degrees out, the hot water was plentiful and water pressure was superb. Toiletries were also very nice. And the stocked minibar is handy when you get the munchies.

Some reviewers have complained about thin walls ... I did hear occasional conversation in the hallway, but you can hear that at The W for a lot more money. I never go to NYC without earplugs, and I didn't need mine.

The hotel staff was extremely courteous and well trained. When you check in, you affirm that you will not be partying or smoking during your stay. Yay.

I was in town to see theatre, and the location of the City Club is simply perfect for that. Also, there's a deli within steps of the hotel that's convenient for getting an inexpensive (really!) and delicious bite to eat.

I would stay at the City Club again. I did get an amazingly good rate on Expedia the weekend I was there, which might have been because it was the weekend before the Super Bowl and because the temps were extraordinarily low.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with someone, do not get the petite room. It's very small, too small for t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CountessCeprano
There are newer reviews for City Club Hotel

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I needed a last minute room, and this hotel offered significant discounted "winter rates" compared to several other places in the immediate area. I originally reserved a "Petite" room, but was upgraded to a double on arrival. The room was lovely and comfortable. Customer service was stellar from the moment I checked in. Unexpected bonuses included free NY Times in the morning, high-quality bathroom products, super comfy mattresses and nice bathrobes. My only issue was hearing doors being slammed shut all night long and again during check out in the morning...so I didn't sleep well as a result. Street noise is also loud in the morning; front facing rooms hear everything outside.

I was presently surprised by this very small boutique property.

Room Tip: Avoid the grossly overpriced DB restaurant attached to the hotel. Save your money.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Checked in on January 14th, 2014 after flying nonstop for close to 40 hours. I arrived to a smiling face at the front desk and was told that I was upgraded from the petite room to a standard with a king bed with a tub/shower combo. I was overjoyed! My room was on the 4th floor and faced the back of the building. It was very quiet. The room was a very nice size, it had a big flat screen tv, fully stocked hidden fridge with other goodies on shelves, umbrella, tons of hangars, desk, chair, a good sized marble bathroom with tons of towels, 2 plush robes and amenities by CO Bigelow. I was only staying the night but I unpacked anyway. What I forgot to mention is that turn down service was already done on the bed and to my surprise, a fresh, large chocolate chip cookie that put a big smile on my face. It was yummy! Within a half hour I was in a bed that felt like I was floating on clouds. The pillows were so soft. It felt great for this weary traveler. I slept wonderfully! The next morning I went out to grab a take out breakfast. I asked the ladies at the front desk if I could do a late check out so instead of 12 noon I was able to get 1 pm. I actually went back to sleep after eating. The shower pressure was great and adjustable. There was a blow dryer but there was no socket in the bathroom! LOL! So I plugged it in by the desk and it was all good. This is now going to be my go to hotel when I'm in NYC. The doormen, reception...everyone - they were all great, very friendly and it was a great change from staying at the usual "name brand" hotels. I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Unless you want a street view that will be a little noisy throughout the day, get one in the back of...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KayDx3
Reviewed 19 January 2014

The City Club indeed in a nice little surprise tucked away on W 44th St. (Not a lot of signage--easy to miss.) It is just a block or so away from the heart of the theatre district. For me, it was a combination of location, price, and style. I was looking for a good deal, which this wound up being for me, but also meant that it was probably one of the smallest rooms and did not have the spacious bathroom others mentioned and the view was into the air shaft (which was quiet though!). Which was all fine; it was big enough for me, and who comes to the theater district to stay in the room? I liked the atmosphere, and the staff at the hotel were all gracious and professional. The other touches (nice toiletries, bathrobes for your stay, cookies on check-in) make it just that much nicer. It's not the newest hotel, but my room was fine and the bed fairly comfortable. AND free wifi. Now THAT will always win me over.
The one thing it could use is a couple more outlets open for guest use in the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2014

It's a beautiful little hotel that I had booked based on the price and the 4 star reviews that was given on it.The location was very easy to get to. Its a staff were very helpful from front desk to turn down service. I would truly stay here again and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This place really is a nice surprise in NYC, where even in "nice" places you can be easily disappointed. Smaller and more intimate than the usual hotels--this place sits in the old "club district" where clubs like the Harvard Club etc moved in in the late 1890s. City Club was a bi-partisan pols hang-out finished in 1904. Today the rooms have a fairly classy feeling--with lots of wood, historical lithos and very nice traditional bath fixtures. I've stayed several times and recommend the larger rooms (King and Queen)--you can find them on Amex in the travel section if you're trading miles. Also--the ladies will want a room with a bathtub which you need to request when you book. Big pluses incl very reasonable (35) validated parking directly across the street; warm cookies on check in; walk to Broadway theatres; and very good on-site restaurant (Daniel Boulud's DB Moderne) where I ordered a fab poached egg breakfast from room service.

Room Tip: Bathtub rooms in back on request; validated parking across the street. Queen size best deal but King...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Knohanz
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have stayed at City Club Hotel on most NYC visits and LOVE it! Fantastic service, small intimate and clear attention by the staff make for a perfect get-away in a fun busy city. From the friendly approachable general manager to the hospitable and reliable guest services to the housekeeping staff. Scented toiletries and the turndown service with a chocolate chip cookie make the stay. I can't think of a better hotel. I plan to continue to use this as my first go-to hotel in the city.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business