“Small, boutique hotel”

Ranked #227 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Small, boutique hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Perfectly located in midtown, tidy rooms, had a bidet and minibar, the diner next door is excellent, 2 blocks from the Newark airport express bus stop and pleasant staff. The aircon was slightly noisy, that's my only negative. Overall, you can't beat the area for access up and down Manhattan.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lauren R, General Manager at City Club Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay at City Club Hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Lauren Reynor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

There are lots of boutique hotels in NYC; they all start to blur after awhile. This one had some nice touches, and felt a bit less impersonal than the rest. It was slightly European in feel, and reminded me of a place that one might stumble on in, say, Milan: small, clean, efficient, stylish, and comfortable.

Though my room was in the back and on the small side (per the relatively inexpensive rate I was paying), it was fine for my needs. The bed/linens were excellent, the bathroom was huge (with nice plush robes), the TV had dozens of (free) channels, and there were good reading lights above the bed (never a given these days). There were chocolate cookies on my bed at night, and a newspaper on my door in the morning. And the staff were nice and helpful.

44th St. between Fifth and Sixth Avenues isn't New York's most beautiful stretch, but it's extremely central. And if you're going to the theater, it's a much better location than staying right in the middle of Times Square, with all its commotion; you can be at any Broadway theater in 10 minutes.

In short, I'd recommend this place, at least for a nice, relatively affordable weekend stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Bequia1
Thank you for sharing your experience at City Club Hotel! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Stavanger, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Arriving from the south were hospitality is in the genes, the first thing to happen in NYC is being ripped off by the taxi driver. The front desk was friendly and did their best to welcome us. We had booked a double room (as it was labeled on Hotels.com) The reception referred to it as a petite room, that was not very suited for two, but they were fully booked. But we could get a upgrade for 50 USD the next day. The room where tiny, there is no room to open your suitcases, you had to open them on the bed. The bed is small, i am 192cm and i had to sleep with my feats hanging out. And it was nearly impossible for two people to sleep side by side. This is a bit like false marketing in my point of view. The response from the front desk told me that this is a common thing, and it happens often. Since they where very fast in offering an paid upgrade. We stayed one night in the petite room, and then upgraded to larger room. The room we upgraded to was OK, but a bit worn. The room we had was on the 9.th floor, and there was a horrible noise from the ventilation system for the whole hotel. This hotel tries to be a upscale boutique hotel, and in some ways they are, in others there should be used more efforts to succeed. But there is one thing that can´t be beat, it is situated in the heart of Manhattan, only a few block from Times Square.

Room Tip: Close to everything, but small rooms and disturbing ventilation system
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ståle Johan K
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at City Club Hotel. I am sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. While our Petite room offers every amenity of our larger rooms, sometimes guests prefer a bigger room with more space. I'm glad that we were able to offer you a larger room for the remainder of your stay. We are committed to providing excellent service and continuous room updates and improvements are very important to us. Thank you for indicating that your room was in need of improvement.
I truly hope to welcome you back to City Club in the future!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay in this little hotel. Comfortable beds, luxurious linens, nice room, super location. Cookies in the room each evening, bath robes, lovely and helpful front desk staff, etc. Reminds me of a small Sofitel.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at City Club Hotel! We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Georgetown, Guyana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went to NYC with my girlfriend and ended up staying at City Club and we were fairly impressed. Chose a luxury Room with 1 queen bed. Good location, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was spacious. Got free Wi-Fi in the room so that was good. Other offers had us paying daily for that. Glad we worked that out. Stayed away from the elevator as mentioned in other reviews and noise was not an issue at all.

People at front desk were helpful. The daily cookies were a nice treat. Would have liked a little more storage space in the room for bags/clothes. The closet is tucked into the wall and is very narrow. The safe and minibar are both located inside. Made it work, but a little more space would have been nice. I guess that comes if you upgrade the room, but didn't want o break the bank.

All in all, a comfortable room in a great location and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Seems like you can work out a deal to get wireless included in your room, but you have to work it ou...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing about your stay at City Club Hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Ringgold, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed in several of the hotels on this block for business travel. The room was small, but they are all small. No lobby to speak of. This room was the most comfortable of the ones I have stayed in on this block. Quiet and the bed was comfortable. Everything in the room worked. There weren't many usable plug ins available to keep things charged up. The free wi-fi worked great for me while I was there.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review about you stay at City Club Hotel. I'm glad you found our rooms comfortable and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Ophir, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I go back and forth to NYC on biz fairly often. On this trip, the prices were high in NYC for my week there and I wanted to make sure to get a better deal than what my usual hotels were charging so arrangements were made for this hotel. I didn't really investigate until the day before I left home and was a little worried about the reviews this place had received. I was pleasantly surprised. The room was a fine size, I did ask for a room away from the elevators to ensure I didn't hear them running all night. That was no problem and I had a very quiet room. The windows did look out to a brick wall, but that was not an issue because I was just there to sleep. The room was clean, the staff were extremely accommodating and so very nice. The chocolate chip cookie was a nice treat. The bed a bit lumpy, but linens were high quality and overall was comfy. Location was perfect for me too.

Room Tip: do ask for a room away from the elevators. And, if you want any view, ask for a streetside room, but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking a moment to provide feedback on your stay at City Club Hotel! We are centrally located in Midtown and many guests find our location ideal for business travel. We are constantly working to improve our services and amenities, so thank you for letting us know about the mattress in your room. A pleasant nights' sleep is of paramount importance when staying with us!
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!