“Best Kept Secret”

Ranked #210 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Maryland
“Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2006

To end our Honeymoon that took us to Grand Cayman Island and Miami, my wife and I checked into the City Club. To best describe the hotel, I'll describe it's neighbors. Across the street is The Royalton, an Ian Schreggar property that is consistent with the quazi-club feeling of the lobby, complete with ample seating, hip crowd, and drink service. A few doors down, The Sofitel guardian of the epi-european inspired lodging experience. If you are can't envision the feeling of the City Club, make note that this block also includes the Harvard Club, Yacht Club, New York Bar Association, and Princeton Club. OK....now you're getting it. The most priveledged little street in NY, with it's requisite understatement.

The City Club has amazingly taken in all of these accounts as its' own. It's non-descript signage ( a visiting friend couldn't find it having walked past the entrance twice) and cozy loby with a front desk that should only accomodate one, but always seemed to hold three-ready to accomodate staffers, give the feeling of a very private place to be. Yet, don't think heavy wooden beams and shelving, and superflous cabinetry. Rather the design of City Club is neat, soft, and airy. It seems to have the cool feel of the Royalton, just not the space. It soon becomes evident that this is by design.

I booked our room directly through the company site, and indicated that this was our honeymoon. We were given a wonderful room overlooking 44th St. which easily was the most lodging space I've ever experienced in Manhattan. The design while efficent is not actually modern, but more transitional. Cool guy features include Ipod Docking alarm clock, a television that shows through wall mirror, and the ultimate answer to in-room entertainment, a complimentary list of DVD's to be delivered from the front desk.

A courtesy bottle of wine and cookies awaited us in our room. We quickly felt torn between exploring the city or soaking up this unique experience. We decided to go walk-about, which is the second reason to stay here. Cool things are steps ahead. We did take a drink at the Royalton which confirmed our suspcicions great place for cocktails, probably not a place to lay your head. We attempted to hang at the Sofitel, but the place seemed to be oover run with families, and fuddy duddies. Of course neither group is bad except if you're looking to kick it in NY to round out your honeymoon.

OK back to the City Club....we decided to go in and reqroup. We saw our favorite bellman. A breif aside explains why. We drove up to NY from DC in our White Yukon Denali. Upon arriving at the Hotel, while my wife remained in the truck I got the attention of the bellman, and explained that we were checking in, needed help with baggage, and inquired about valet parking. However, each of my requests seemed to be a slight disconnect for him. After asking if all of the luggage needed to be collected, he informed me that I could park in front of the door. Which if you know NY is the craziest thing ever suggested. While he showed my now disembarking wife to the room, and managed the bags, another staffer said nothing about parking on the street, but directed me to a garage, and even held traffic so I could make the manuever. When I arrived to our room, my wife was laughing with tears in her eyes. Apparently, my odd interaction with the bellman was because he thought she was a celebrity and I was her driver. Apparently, Yukons are now the fleet of the chic, my all black outfit appeared more uniform then stylish, and her waiting in the truck with sunglasses and fur coat all communicated something different to someone who obviously has gotten used to a very different clientle. We got the biggest kick out of it, and shared laughs with the staff about our new found celebrity for the rest of our visit.

If there is an achilles heel for this place it is only that room service appears to come from a diner a few doors down the street. In winter this almost gurantees that your food can not be piping hot. Although, since it i s adiner it seems almost any request can be satisfied.

I know this isn't a traditional hotel review, about towels, and high speed internet, but that's because this is not a traditonal hotel. It's a place that serves as base of operations for hanging in the city, and returning to a quiet, comfortable, and upscale environment to recharge your batteries only to do it all over again.
Cheers

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank Laureate2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2006

I was going for an overnight trip to New York and knew that I would not be spending much time in my room. So, I was looking for a nice, stylish hotel in a good location at a good price. I managed to snag a $200 rate from Quikbook for a "petite" room and it was perfect for my needs. The room was small - not much bigger than the double bed - but I expected that. It was beautifully appointed and stylishly decorated. TV, DVD player, mini-bar tucked away. The marble-clad bathroom was very nice with plenty of towels and Hermes products. There were even a couple of fresh chocolate chip cookies at the end of the day. And the NY Times at my door in the morning. The room might be tight for 2 people and it would be too small if I was staying for a few days. But there are larger rooms that are very nice - I looked in one as I went down the hallway. My only complaint is that the tile in the hallway echoes any footsteps that go by your door. It's not a big deal, but carpeting would deaden the noise. The reception and doormen were friendly and helpful. The lobby is small and connects to the well-rated DB Moderne restaurant, where meals can be taken. I'm a pretty tough critic of hotels, but I would stay
at the City Club again.

• Liked — Stylish, chic decor
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2006

We stayed for just three nights and was so glad it was only three! The place was dark and dingy - no hermes bath products or frette linens to be seen. We had to wait over an hour for our room on arrival and there is really nowhere comfortable to sit and we then found that there were no twin beds and they really did nothing to sort ouf this situation and we ended up in a tiny room, despite them saying they would do something the next day, nothing happened. On the last morning, the hot water went wrong and we had to wait over an hour for a shower. Absolutely terrible. The only good thing is the location.

• Liked — THE BATHROOM
  • Disliked — TINY STUFFY ROOM
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT BE FOOLED - ITS AWFUL
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with friends
1 Thank shenkah
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2006

Problems started early with our booking at the City Club. My wife tried to book online for our stay for two nights in a Queen Luxe. She called to book the rate available from the website, but was told that the rate is only available for booking via the Internet otherwise its was a hundred dollars more in total. At her request, I visited the website to make a reservation. However to my surprise, the website was not secured (read encrypted) so that my credit card number was going over the open internet. I called the hotel again and they told me that they didn't have encryption on their website (see the padlock in the bottom of the browser window). I asked the reservationist to take my booking over the telephone, but she refused to give me the lower rate.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MichaelfromLondon
indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2006

Recently stayed at the City Club for four nights. Wonderful stay! We were upgraded to a King and found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable.
Loved the dark colors, the privacy, the cookies on our pillows every night! The staff were curteous. Location in midtown perfect for theatre, proximity to Times Square, and easy access to the subway to other parts of town.
Would absolutely stay here again anytime!

• Liked — The privacy, decor, and location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2006

We booked a stay at the City Club for mid-July 2006. We booked the reservation on the hotel's website and thought we booked a queen-sized room. When we arrived, and despite the email confirmation I received and had with me, the hotel informed us that the only available room was a petite room, which was a full bed in a room that would have been better as a janitor's closet because it was so small. Although the bathroom was lovely, my husband and I barely fit in the room together. The TV was not a flat screen, but rather a 19 inch regular old TV. What a disappointment. We were told that the hotel's computerized booking system erred and resulted in us booking the wrong room. To his credit, the hotel manager tried to find us a room at another nearby hotel, but apparently they were sold out as well. The manager then discounted our rate, gave us a bottle of wine and free breakfast for the two mornings of our stay. The only reason I would stay here again is that the manager kept in email contact with me (I preferred email -- he offered to call instead) regarding our room and was quite helpful. The room, however, was so small and the bed so uncomfortable, that next time, rather than take the chance of this type of error happening again, I'd probably stay at the sort of big hotel I was trying to avoid in the first place.

3 Thank MoverAndShaker
Cotswolds, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2006

If you're looking for a stylish small hotel, and are more of an Armani than Versace person, then look no further. My husband and I have had the good fortune to stay in some amazing hotels around the world - from country houses, to trendy boutiques, to spot on large hotels like The Mandarin Oriental and The Four Seasons. The style of City Club is low key and I say this as a compliment. Its a small, unassuming hotel, offering excellent service and a perfect place to rest your head in chic comfort. Location wise its on a fairly quiet street perfect for Midtown, 5th Avenue, Central Park and Times Square - for venturing further we never had more than a minute wait in hailing a cab. What makes the service stand apart from many other trendy hotels is that it did feel personal ....... returning after a long, hot day (and many a late evening!) of exploring this ever changing city, it felt unusual and uplifting to be recognised and acknowledged as guests of the hotel and for our day to be enquired of by the staff. The guys at City Club are just spot on ....happy for a start, welcoming, courteous, and extremely willing to offer suggestions and recommendations. The only downside of writing this review is that it means our holiday is now over and i'm back in Ol' Blightly .... I could have quite easily of taken up residence.

• Stayed June 2006