“Great location & clean!”

TRYP New York City Times Square South
Ranked #160 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
“Great location & clean!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My sister in laws and I stayed in this wonderful hotel. We appreciated coming back after a long day of sightseeing to a clean room with comfortable beds and great pillows. We even had a room with 2 bathrooms, which for 5 women was a real god send! Was close to the police department but we never heard much considering its a pretty busy, noisy city; at least we felt safe by the cop shop! Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Stayed above the police department and only heard the occasional siren. Could be because the beds a...
Green Features: Could have had recycling bins around and suggest that guests reuse towels. Didn't see any signs around encouraging that
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
We really appreciate your very nice review and comments about our hotel! It sounds like you had a very nice time, and got to enjoy all that our hotel and New York City had to offer! Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to taking care of you during your next stay!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Modesto, California, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed three nights at TRYP in NYC. This is a wonderful hotel - within walking distance of Penn Station and subway stations. The facility staff are very friendly and helpful. The room was so nice. We booked a Premium room that comfortably slept my husband and I as well as our two young adult children. It had two full baths and plenty of square footage to spread out. The rooms are beautiful - no carpet...really loved the wood floors. Room was very quiet. I would definitely recommend for quality and location and will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Very nice! Thank you so much for your really excellent comments and great review of our hotel! It makes us really proud that you were able to have such wonderful stay, and that our staff provided you with rock star service. We hope to see you again soon at the TRYP Times Square South Hotel!
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I used this hotel for a few days in 2014. It's a well positioned hotel 5 minutes from Penn Station.
My one piece of advice is to request a room at the rear of the hotel as the front facing rooms are on a busy street with wagons travelling in the early hours and a police station on it.
The rooms were clean, comfortable and well appointed, the bed was comfortable and the decor was very contemporary.
All in all a decent budget hotel, ok for leisure and short breaks.

Room Tip: Rear of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Ben E, Manager at TRYP New York City Times Square South, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the TRYP Times Square South. I am glad to hear that we could meet your needs with our facilities and location. Indeed our location is perfect for guests wishing to venture out and enjoy the city via Mass Transit. Thank you again for choosing our property, we look forward to accommodating you in the near future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Okay, so I am a little torn writing a review for this place. Initially, I was going to title my review "the good, the bad, and the ugly", but then I realized that "ugly" might be too harsh, since nothing about the hotel is really "ugly"- well, except for the paper-thin walls, maybe. And the air conditioner that was so loud that every time it turned on during the night it woke me up...

So, let's get to the "good" things: First and foremost, the STAFF. Everyone was very accommodating and friendly, a clear 10/10! Also, the fact that they do not charge for wi-fi at a time when most competitors do- kudos!

As for location, I would give it a 7.5/10. Yes, it is close to many attractions, but 35th street between 8th and 9th can look and feel a little "shaky", especially if you walk back to your hotel late at night.

So... to sum it all up: would I stay here again: not sure. I am leaning more toward "no", simply because the great staff cannot really make up for the thin walls and loud a/c :(

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the TRYP Time Square South Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better. Although I cannot undo the negative experience, I would like to personally discuss your recent stay, and hopefully you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I appreciate your feedback, as this helps us become the very best that we can be, and I look forward to speaking with you directly concerning your recent stay. I may be contacted at 646-200-8853, or belie@wyndham.com. In the meantime, we remain fully at your service and look forward to the chance of welcoming you back at the TYRP Times Square South.

Ben Elie –Guest Services Manager
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have stated in a NY hotel before, even though we're from there. But the 5 star that we stayed in last year didn't compare to the Tryp. Didn't even come close. From the moment I walked in I felt like I mattered. John, one of the housemen, greeted me even before I stepped into the hotel. Christina (Front Desk) made my check in process as simple and as friendly as can be. She even helped arrange a surprise for my wife in the room while my wife and I went out to dinner to a restaurant that was recommended by their concierge, Alfonso. Thanks Alfonso!!! The night staff, Shayla and Genaro were awesome in executing the flower arrangements in the room before we got back from dinner. All in all, WHEN my wife and I decided to leave the burbs for a small weekend in the city, were staying at the Tryp. I'd recommend this hotel to everyone that asks. Truly a cut above the rest.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking time to write such a positive review. I especially appreciate the kind review of so many members of our team. It is always wonderful to hear when the staff does a wonderful job. I look forward to sharing your comments with them as they will be ecstatic. We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
Calverton, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Had great time with the kids. We had a family room which has a king bed and bunk beds. There were 2 tv's which the kids love. The staff was really awesome and attentive. Lots of restaurants in the area. I would definitely stay here again it's also close to a lot if nyc attractions

Stayed August 2014
Short, sweet, and wonderful! Thank you so much for your review and recommendation! We look forward to seeing you again and hopefully for a longer stay! Take care!
Brisbane
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed for 4 nights at the TRYP in early August with another couple. Arrived mid afternoon and only one of the rooms were ready. Told that it would only be a few minutes but waited nearly 30, wasn't a big deal as we had a beer in the bar.

Each couple were on different floors and we realised that the rooms were substantially different in size. One was tiny, no room for the 3 suitcases and the en-suite was very small. So small that the couple staying in this room would have checked out rather than stay.

The other room was excellent in size. Turned out that due to delay in getting room ready, one of us had been upgraded to a larger room, a few kind words with Reception and both couples ended up in the larger room. If you are traveling around the US and have cases with you, the smaller room will be uncomfortable. If its just one bag, it will be fine.

All the staff were brilliant.

We had breakfast once in the hotel and it was only okay. There are better and cheaper places in walking distance. Each afternoon the lobby bar happy hour was a good way to unwind after a days site seeing.

The location is excellent, we walked a lot and found it to be very safe day and night. You are close to so many of the tourist attractions which can save dollars on taxi rides.

There is a Cop shop a few doors away with cars coming/going all night but you don't hear them from the hotel.

There are some great restaurants on 9th Avenue and we found a really good diner for breakfast on W34th called Skylight Diner. Great breaky at a really reasonable price.

If I was staying In Manhattan again, this would be my place of choice but I would have to make sure that I go the larger room.

Room Tip: Check you room size if you are traveling with luggage
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teddep
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of TRYP Times Square South. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you find our property to be "beyond compare". I have shared your kind remarks with the staff in recognition of their efforts to meet your needs. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the TRYP Times Square South in the very near future.