“Great experience”
Review of Jewel Bako

Jewel Bako
Reserve with OpenTable
Jewel Bako is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,663 of 14,394 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: East Village
Cross street: Between 2nd Ave. & 3rd Ave.
Transit: 6 Train to Astor Place
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Ordered Omakase. It was excellent experience. We got around 12 different seafood (fish+shellfish) with different presentation (+ TASTE). The service is superb, our server filled drink & clean up every single spot. We will come back definitely.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I was expecting so much from this place and left so disappointed!

SPACE: When empty, the space is warm and inviting, but quickly becomes suffocating when the place fills up. We were crammed together in the right half of the restaurant, while there were plenty of open tables in the left half. The noise level was fine.

SERVICE: After just being seated, we were asked 3 times by 3 different people - literally within the span of one minute - if we wanted to order drinks. There were so many people involved with our table that the service just felt haphazard and clumsy.

FOOD: We ordered the mushrooms, two rolls and the sushi sampler. The amuse-bouche was nice and the miso soup might be the best I've ever had. The meal went quickly downhill from there. The mushrooms en papillote were good, not great, and should not have been allowed to stand on their own as an appetizer. They were skimpy and I felt incredibly ripped off by the $9 price tag.

The rolls - one scallops and one crab meat - were both fine, but I think the server should have advised us to only order one. I commented to my dining companion that after awhile they had a certain sameness that made me bored eating them. The sushi sampler was fine, but again, forgettable. I've had the same quality at those dime-a-dozen Japanese places run by Chinese. And adding insult to injury, the bottle of Chardonnay (from Ardeche) completely lacked depth.

OVERALL: This restaurant is further proof that the Michelin stars (it has one) mean nothing.

2  Thank TravelerNYC2013
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We went here as a group of four adults & two teenagers. Service was consistently swift but unobtrusive. Menu is very straightforward - sushi/sashimi by-the-piece or the choice of a few sets.

The sets are (as usual) better value than the individual pieces, but this place is by most measures pretty expensive. I think we spent $600 for six of us on food plus a few beers.

The toro was exceptional.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Fresh, dependably high quality sushi attentively served in cosy East Village digs. Has maintained its high standards over many years.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Have been to this restaurant twice and my second visit last week would be the finale. First, the menu is too limited and uninteresting. Second, service was barely satisfactory(unless you are served by a Japanese wait staff). The quality and selection of their sushi is not comparable to
Sushi of Gari's but was higher in price. I was not thrilled but not too sure with my first visit and so we gave them a second chance last week. This time they even double charged in error the highest priced item on the bill, which was quite inexcusable. Now I can check this one off my restaurant list for good.

1  Thank Miumiu88