“Tiny, friendly place”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: We proudly serve you all the best Italian paninis and gourmet food, and of course, our staple coffee. That's what we call the "real deal!" It is our mission to serve you the best Prosciutto, Mozzarella, Burrata, Gnocchi, as well as delicious paninis and desserts. Juansetter (Escaping in the City: A Taste of Real Italy) said: "Every other item has truffles/truffle oil in it, and every third has prosciutto or Parmigiano Reggiano. And none of it is the heavy saucy, fried stuff that you find in most New York Italian restaurants; rather, this green cafe goes for the fresh, healthy, Mediterranean feel that we love about Italy." "That's probably because the owners - and, indeed, the guy behind the counter - are actually from Italy. Ciao!" Piccolo offers daily and one-off special deals.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My companion and I just happened into this very small eating establishment because it was in his neighborhood. Although we did not dine al fresco we might as well have as we were given a table right by the open front door. We were impressed at once by the very reasonable prices and the food did not disappoint--a standard bruschetta appetizer was fresh and sharp with garlic, as was the linguini with clams that he ordered. My vegetarian lasagna was not made with tomatoes, but with a creamy cheese-based sauce filled with diced squash and (I think) mushrooms--surprising but good. We loved the desserts we ordered as well. The only complaint either of us had was the miniscule espresso cup. All in all it was a pleasant way to pass a lovely early summer evening in Manhattan.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

They need to learn how to speak to his worker everyday I was theare. I feel so bad. as they talk to their workers every restaurant has to learn that workers are human and because of them people are making money and it was not a single piccolo coffee are all I love their food but the bosses have to learn to respect

1  Thank Kindonelow
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Along Madison this small hole in the wall with even smaller tables serve up since great food for a reasonable price.

We had the gnocchi with Gorgonzola and the classic penne pasta with chicken. Both great dishes. The sandwiches looked good also.

A must when you're in the neighborhood.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We tried this cafe while we were staying across the street at Morgans Hotel. We were so impressed and kept coming back for break, lunch, sanck and coffee...Counter service with smalltbles and a specialty of Italian, but so much more. We thought the salads were fantastic---especially the lobster on baby greens that came with a light basil dressing. The pancetta baby spinach with balsamic was also good. For breakfast,the egg and procuitto sandwich was great--the bread here is ver, very good. I'd like to know where it is from because it is better than the bread at famous Amy's on Bleeker Street in Greenwich Village. Coffe very good. This is your spot for a breakfast (I bet the truffle eggs are great) lunch or a light snack. LOVED it and will return. Staff helpful with directions and advice--yes, most New Yorkers are very friendly!

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I had 3 people in front to me and waited almost 15 min to be served. Ordered a simple toast an waited 15 minutes more to eat. RIDICULOUS !!!! No worth your time! Just pass by an go!