“Good Stay but Not what Room described”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #48 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Salem, Oregon
“Good Stay but Not what Room described”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

We enjoyed our stay here. It was close to the subway and we could walk uptown or downtown also. Check in was easy. The desk staff was helpful with questions we asked. We had an inside room looking at another buidling, and it was very quiet. The room was very clean, but extremely small. We only had carry-on suitcases. Larger ones would not have fit in the Superior Queen we were given.

The room description when we booked said that we had "unbelievably comfortable...beds....copierfax on working desk." Also said "robes". We did not have a comfortable bed nor did we have a copierfax on working desk or robes...just one and there were two of us. The bed did not seem like it was queen size. which we have in our own home. We only had a bed table on one side of our bed and no reading light or table on the other. We did ask the front desk if our room was superior queen and she replied "yes".

Breakfast each morning wasvery good to get us on our way. Nice bar to have a drink at night. We were in New York and happy and did not spend any of our day at the hotel.

We would stay here again and recommend it, but not if you wanted to spend any time in your room. I

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hungarian first
Wilmington, DE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Darkest room ever. Good thing there's a hardware store down 28th. Street with a large range of flashlights. Had to order in an extra lamp, which the friendly, obliging staff brought in right away, but this made a very small very dark room into a somewhat lighter but smaller room. Did I say the room was dark? And after maybe three PM, at least in May when we visited, the (dark) brick wall outside the room gets even darker. One of those strap-on-to- your-head battery-operated lamps would come in handy. Or a miner's helmet.

Superior staff at reception desk. The baggage handler/car wrangler ("Chuck") is efficiency and courtesy personified. Nice breakfast and nicer breakfast room which morphs into a bar/restaurant later on. Cozy lobby and entryway. Well-designed baths. Everything tidy and clean on account attentive and thorough housekeeping personnel.

Can't gripe about the room rates, because New York prices have become stratospheric at every hotel we investigated. This will have to be our last visit to NYC until rates go down.

I wasn't exaggerating about the darkness. I've been in smaller rooms; rooms so small you had to leave your carry-on out in the corridor (Southampton, UK), but this is the global low-lumens champ. So far.

1 Thank Exspecto
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

A great little hotel in a perfect position for all the main tourist sites, the subway is only 100 yards from the entrance of the hotel, and when you've had a long day this was worth it's weight in gold. The staff were all very friendly and very helpful - we had a problem with the rooms safe on day 3, but after reporting it an engineer turned up within minutes.The breakfast was a basic continental style, it was in good quantity and plenty of choice. The hotel room was small but very adequate for our needs, we were surprised that there was no coffee or tea making facilities in the room - a first on my travels.
The only problem I had was on checking out - I wanted to pay my bar bill by cash, unfortunately the hotels and my figures differed by over $20, the reason was because I'd tipped the barstaff on the night and then after leaving the bar they had included another tip on the overall bill - I asked the receptionist to show me the slips which I signed at the bar, and guess what they couldn't be found ! She then asked me to leave it with them and they would just charge my credit card when it got sorted out - sorted out with me not being there ?
I asked to see a manager a resolve the problem before we left, but there was no manager in the building, In the end I paid in cash what I thought I owed and told her to get the manager to phone me if there was a problem.
'If you've enjoyed your stay here, I don't see what your problem is sir - surely it's a small price to pay' is what the receptionist said ?
I'm not mean - I just don't like getting ripped off.

Overall a brilliant five day stay - spoiled needlessly by not using a little common sense.

The Unfortunate outcome was that despite my protests - on returning home the hotel had indeed charged my credit card for the differance.

If I had any tips to pass on - I would suggest that you make full use of the subway, it's so easy to get around and saves your feet - and try and book your trips out before arriving, it saves so much time waiting around for tickets.

3 Thank Northy_9
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

A great little hotel with the slowest lifts in the world - sometimes it's simply faster to use the stairs. Our view was of another building - but that suited us fine cos there was no traffic noise at all - peace and quiet for a good night's sleep. Cold breakfast is included plus toast - not a full buffet - and they hold bags for free after checkout. There is a laundromat around the corner which will do your washing for you and neatly fold it all within 2 hours. Within walking distance of 2 subway lines so access to everything in Manhatten is pretty easy. Free wifi.

Room Tip: The rooms without a view are perfect for sleeping.
Calabasas, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

This is a small boutique hotel in a fantastic location. I found the service is very friendly and welcoming like you would expect at a small hotel. They also include breakfast in the room rate, which I think is pretty rare for NY hotels. It seemed to me they cater European tourists judging by the other guests I saw at breakfast, which could be one reason they include breakfast. The breakfast itself was nothing special (cold buffet with pastries, bagels, etc.), but it was fine for me.

The rooms are by no means luxurious, but they are clean and comfortable and seem to have been renovated in the recent past. The room I had was actually pretty spacious by NY standards. You can order room service from the hotel restaurant, which is a nice benefit. Overall, the Park South is a good choice for the price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank NRT
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

We got reservations here through one of those "name your price" things where you don't know where you'll be until the card is charged.

What a pleasant surprise. No, its not a disco masquerading as a hotel (Hotel Empire, are you listening?) , the rooms are on the small side, but the staff were very nice, it was QUIET, the place was clean, I didn't see any bedbugs, free wi-fi, and breakfast was included. Perfect!

I'd definitely stay here again. If for no other reason but to check out some of the curry places nearby. Yum!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

Great location, within walking distance to Flatiron District and the Empire State Building, green subway stop right outside the door, making trips to Soho and downtown easy. Free breakfast every day was fantastic. Our room was typically New York small but had nice boutique style finishes. Service was good, however on our last two nights they seemed to forget about us, with no turn-down service being provided. Not a big deal, but we did notice as they had done this on the first four nights of our stay. Laudromat is also close by, which was handy for avoiding exorbitant hotel laundry service fees. Overall, great value - I don't think we would have found a better hotel for the price we paid.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple