“Really really good or really good depending on price”
Review of Park South Hotel

Ranked #59 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 17 January 2012

For 185 special it was really really good. For 230 it was really good but then it starts to get in price range for other considerations. Location is heat right by sub. Rooms are small but look like a 230 a night place. Beds are great. Close to a few neighborhood bars. I have stayed there twice now. Price below 210 and I don't even have to think where I will stay on third trip.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Texasradio

Reviewed 17 January 2012

The room was very simple, but a pleasant complimentary breakfast and the fantastic staff on the desk who helped me with a hire car that failed to turn up made it a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 14 January 2012

This was my third trip to New York, I have have always said closer to Times Square, this location was a little further out but only cost around 10 dollars in a taxi to where ever we wanted to be, which counteracted to high charge of hotels close to Time Square, especially at New Year!. The room was small, but then we just booked the normal queen room, it was very clean and the bathroom was a good size and we got clean towels every day. We had a room on the 5th floor and it was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We found the staff very helpful and friendly, a lot better then some of the bigger chain hotels which I have stayed in. The doorman was extremely helpful and arranged a luxury car to take us back to the airport, this only cost about 15 dollars more but was so worth it has there was four of us travelling and we had 6 big cases between us.

My only thing about this hotel is the lack of closet space, but we managed, I would book a bigger room next time, if the price was ok.

It you are looking for a good value, clean and friendly hotel, I would definitely book here. The breakfast is a bonus too, you can even take your coffee to go.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Clara1974_12
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Before going, I looked at the reviews already posted on this site. I would say most are pretty accurate. But I will add a couple of my own comments as well.

The hotel was clean and there was enough room for all 4 of us girlfriends. We did have to get strategic on where we put the suitcases and such, but we made it work and it wasn't as bad as I was prepared for it to be. For whatever reason, we consistently had 3 sets of towels with 4 of us staying. A little frustrating but everytime we asked for more, someone was at the door in less than 5 minutes.

The breakfast was a good selection, but the dining room is small and if we went down later (9am-10am) there could be a pretty good line up of people waiting for a table. Sometimes we just zipped in, grabbed what we wanted and ate in the room.

The staff were helpful and friendly. The location overall was decent as we were literally 10 steps away from the metro - green line. We walked to the Empire State building in 10-15 minutes and a cab ride in the evenings back to the hotel from wherever we were usually cost about $10.

If going back to NY, I would look into other options just to compare. But, if this still looked to be the best option, I would book again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank VoyageuseDeCanada
atlanticstars1, Guest Relations Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience that you and your three friends had at the Park South. I’m glad to hear that our staff rushed the extra towels to your room as soon as you alerted them, and that the complimentary breakfast buffet was a hit. We’re delighted that you chose the Park South and found our location and value-added features--breakfast, newspaper, free WiFi--to your liking. Your comments help us to constantly improve, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends again soon.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

Stayed here for five nights over new years with my partner. Hotel was very clean and the superior queen room we had was a great size for a new York hotel room.
The staff were all extremely helpful and all questions answered or advice given when needed.
The location was the best part of all. Right beside a central subway station, a few mins walk to the empire state building and other great attractions. Price was very relevant to the location, service and room.
Only negative was the limited breakfast choice, but we only had breakfast there one morning so maybe were just unlucky. It definitely would not stop us staying in this hotel again or recommending it to anyone for their stay in new York city

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Guest,

Happy New Year, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your feedback and we will review our breakfast selection. I’m glad you found our location ideal, with a major subway stop practically at our door, and legendary theaters and shopping within easy walking distance. For a multi-day stay like yours, I hope you found the in-room refrigerator, daily newspaper, and other amenities to your liking.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We travel to New York City every year during the Christmas Holidays and over the years we have stayed at several different hotels in the city.. This was our first stay at the Park South and we were very happy that we chose this property for our holiday visit this year. The Park South is a little distance from the bright lights of Times Square and Broadway but the nearby subway stations will take you Uptown or Downtown.
The Park South staff is truly dedicated to making their guests very comfortable. The rooms are spacious and clean, A refrigerator and coffee maker are available in the room. A very ample complimentary breakfast is included in the room rate.. Also available on a complimentary basis is the business center located in the lower lobby level and it was very convenient for us to be able to print our boarding passes the day before our flight departure.
The staff at the hotel is very friendly and will go out of their way to make their guests comfortable. We will defintely return to the Park South on our next visit to the "Big Apple".

Room Tip: The closet space in the rooms is very, very limited. We requested a roller clothes rack and it was...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Giovanna7

Dear Guest,

Happy New Year and thank you for your comments. We were delighted to hear that you found the in-room refrigerator and coffee maker, complimentary breakfast, and business center particularly convenient. Thank you for noting that your request for a rolling clothes rack was fulfilled immediately and with grace. Our room configurations may vary, but our staff is dedicated to seeing that each and every guest has whatever they need for a comfortable stay.

We greatly appreciate your recommending us to your friends, and we look forward to welcoming you when you visit New York City again. All the best for 2012.

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Myself and my daughter have just returned from a 5 night trip to NYC for Christmas. We stayed at the Park South after a little investigation into reasonably priced and located small hotels in the city, which we eventually booked as a package with flights through BA. The location, although a little further out than some, is good and quiter than the more central midtown hotels; if you're prepared to walk or happy to get the subway then it's fine. If not then don't bother with this location. Our room was a standard queen and I didn't have any really high expectations, however tea/coffee making facilities in the room I did expect, particularly when any refreshments in the hotel were purely reliant upon the Black Duck Restaurant! The room was small with a lousy outlook but as with most visitors to NYC you are not there to sit in your room so we were happy with that. The bathroom was small but enough for myself and my daughter. The room and the bathroom were very clean with clean towels provided each day with a top up offered in the evening by house keeping along with a chocolate; nice little touch. We met 3 different doormen who all were very nice, polite and helpful. The desk staff in the main were pleasant and helpful but a couple of them seemed as though it was a little too much trouble to speak to you and had a very disinterested air. The breakfast provided in the Black Duck was good, and although the same everyday it was enough to kick start the day, particularly in a city where food is on every corner making one choice quite difficult! We ate in the restaurant on Christmas Eve as we were particularly tired from the previous days travelling and the days sight seeing so not up for doing much that evening. What I can say is that the food was OK, the menu is limited and I just felt that they were trying too hard to be something they are not. I also got the impression that as we were hotel visitors, we weren't terribly important and they were busy flitting round making sure everything was set-up for the evening for walk-in visitors. Our service that evening was provided by the barman; nice guy, typical friendly/approachable barman type. The other staff in the restaurant were non-descript with an air of over importance that I did not warm to. All in all I was disappointed as the reviews I read before eating here were good but the food was OK, nothing to write home about. I've eaten much better in a number of local UK Home Counties gastro style pubs and country wine bars. One of my biggest complaints is that the hotel does not have a nice comfortable central lounge just to grab a coffee and unwind a little after a day sight seeing and shopping before getting ready to go out again in the evening. Instead it just has a lobby with two sofas and the reception desk with refreshments only available after 5pm from the Black Duck or a local Starbucks. Also, if you stay on the 6th floor, watch out for the strong smell of curry in the mornings in the corridors to the lifts. This can only come from the Copper Chimney next door! Would not stay here again but each to their own I'm sure many a perfectly happy with their stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family