“Travel light if you're staying here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Park South Hotel

Ranked #48 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Long Island, NY
“Travel light if you're staying here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Luckily, my husband and I were only staying one night at this hotel and so we each only had one small bag. We stayed in the smallest hotel room in NYC we have ever seen. The room was clean and comfortable with the freshest towels and bedding; but there is no place to put your clothing. There is no bureau and a tiny closet with 5 hangers the size of a small file cabinet draw. There is no place to put your luggage down without tripping over it. There are a few hooks by the door to hang your coats. The staff is helpful, pleasant, and professional. The breakfast is very good and the food is fresh. We would stay here again if we need to b/c of it's location, train station on the same street, and overall cleanliness.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room if possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hungarian first
North Pole, Alaska U.S.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Park South Hotel for a week. It's a lovely, old building with a charming lobby. The room decor was uncluttered and soothing and we found the beds to be quite comfortable and room to be a haven after spending a day in the hustle and bustle of the city. The showers had great water pressure and nice, hot water. Our room was quiet and although you could hear noise from the street, it wasn't loud enough to bother us - even on weekend nights. Having free wi-fi was an additional bonus. It just astonishes me how many Manhattan hotels charge up to $14 a day or more for it, so with the free wi-fi and breakfast I found the hotel to be an even better value. Another thing I liked was that the room had a safe that was large enough to accommodate my laptop computer.

An unexpected and most welcome thrill for us was the view from our 7th floor window - we could see the top of the beautiful Chrysler Building. We got such a kick out of actually seeing it light up in the evening a couple of times and the lights turn off in the morning.

The front desk staff and doormen were some of the friendliest I've ever encountered on my travels. They were a wealth of information on restaurants and what was available right in the neighborhood. From the time I called the hotel to make the reservations to the time we left - I enjoyed courteous, professional customer service.

The hotel has a fitness center in the basement. Although not large, it was more than adequate and my daughter and I were happy to have it so conveniently located. There were sanitizing wipes for the equipment available as well as extra towels and a water cooler. It had an iFit compatible treadmill, bike and elliptical as well as a bench and free weights.

The complimentary breakfast was quite good. There was a selection of pastries, breads and cereals, as well as fruits and boiled eggs. Juice, coffee and an assortment of teas was also available. My only complaint would be that the tablecloths at breakfast would get soiled between diners and were not always changed. I would think it better to remove the cloths altogether.

Loved the location - the subway 6/green line was literally steps away from the hotel - just two stops from Grand Central Terminal - which made getting to just about any part of the city quite easy.

The staff arranged for a car to take us to the airport - it worked out perfectly - a beautiful, clean car and friendly, professional driver.

My daughter and I love NYC and plan on returning - we will definitely consider staying at the Park South Hotel again.

I

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TundraPup
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

For 185 special it was really really good. For 230 it was really good but then it starts to get in price range for other considerations. Location is heat right by sub. Rooms are small but look like a 230 a night place. Beds are great. Close to a few neighborhood bars. I have stayed there twice now. Price below 210 and I don't even have to think where I will stay on third trip.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Texasradio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

The room was very simple, but a pleasant complimentary breakfast and the fantastic staff on the desk who helped me with a hire car that failed to turn up made it a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed January 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

This was my third trip to New York, I have have always said closer to Times Square, this location was a little further out but only cost around 10 dollars in a taxi to where ever we wanted to be, which counteracted to high charge of hotels close to Time Square, especially at New Year!. The room was small, but then we just booked the normal queen room, it was very clean and the bathroom was a good size and we got clean towels every day. We had a room on the 5th floor and it was very quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We found the staff very helpful and friendly, a lot better then some of the bigger chain hotels which I have stayed in. The doorman was extremely helpful and arranged a luxury car to take us back to the airport, this only cost about 15 dollars more but was so worth it has there was four of us travelling and we had 6 big cases between us.

My only thing about this hotel is the lack of closet space, but we managed, I would book a bigger room next time, if the price was ok.

It you are looking for a good value, clean and friendly hotel, I would definitely book here. The breakfast is a bonus too, you can even take your coffee to go.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clara1974_12
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Before going, I looked at the reviews already posted on this site. I would say most are pretty accurate. But I will add a couple of my own comments as well.

The hotel was clean and there was enough room for all 4 of us girlfriends. We did have to get strategic on where we put the suitcases and such, but we made it work and it wasn't as bad as I was prepared for it to be. For whatever reason, we consistently had 3 sets of towels with 4 of us staying. A little frustrating but everytime we asked for more, someone was at the door in less than 5 minutes.

The breakfast was a good selection, but the dining room is small and if we went down later (9am-10am) there could be a pretty good line up of people waiting for a table. Sometimes we just zipped in, grabbed what we wanted and ate in the room.

The staff were helpful and friendly. The location overall was decent as we were literally 10 steps away from the metro - green line. We walked to the Empire State building in 10-15 minutes and a cab ride in the evenings back to the hotel from wherever we were usually cost about $10.

If going back to NY, I would look into other options just to compare. But, if this still looked to be the best option, I would book again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank VoyageuseDeCanada
atlanticstars1, Guest Relations Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing the experience that you and your three friends had at the Park South. I’m glad to hear that our staff rushed the extra towels to your room as soon as you alerted them, and that the complimentary breakfast buffet was a hit. We’re delighted that you chose the Park South and found our location and value-added features--breakfast, newspaper, free WiFi--to your liking. Your comments help us to constantly improve, and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends again soon.

Christiaan Aldoy
124 East 28th Street
New York, NY 10016
ph. 212.448.0888
caldoy@parksouthhotel.com
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

Stayed here for five nights over new years with my partner. Hotel was very clean and the superior queen room we had was a great size for a new York hotel room.
The staff were all extremely helpful and all questions answered or advice given when needed.
The location was the best part of all. Right beside a central subway station, a few mins walk to the empire state building and other great attractions. Price was very relevant to the location, service and room.
Only negative was the limited breakfast choice, but we only had breakfast there one morning so maybe were just unlucky. It definitely would not stop us staying in this hotel again or recommending it to anyone for their stay in new York city

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Guest,

Happy New Year, and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your feedback and we will review our breakfast selection. I’m glad you found our location ideal, with a major subway stop practically at our door, and legendary theaters and shopping within easy walking distance. For a multi-day stay like yours, I hope you found the in-room refrigerator, daily newspaper, and other amenities to your liking.

Thank you again for sharing your comments with us. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Christiaan Aldoy