“Great location. Would stay again.”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #54 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed for three nights in early February. A standard double room cost around £250 for a Wed-Sat stay, so not too bad. This was my second visit to New York - and wanted something a bit cheaper than last time, but in the same area. The Park South Hotel fitted the bill pretty well. The location is so convenient for the subway and is within reasonable walking distance of many of the midtown sights. It has a quieter and less touristy feel than the area around Times Square for example, which really appealed. The staff were very helpful, the inclusive continental breakfast excellent, plus some nice touches like free wifi and free printing in the business centre. The room itself wasn't bad either. Small, and somewhat limited view, but in Manhattan that's pretty much the norm. There were a couple of maintenance issues in the room that weren't major enough to spoil our stay (loose and slightly cracked toilet seat, for example), but it would have been good if the cleaner had spotted them and flagged them up. There were other things you might expect like an iron and a safe. The bed was comfy and the room not too noisy at night. I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again if in the area and in the price range I was after.

• Stayed: February 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,468)

Reviewed 3 February 2012

When we were first arrived we were allocated a room that was tiny. You couldn't even wheel the suitcases along the bottom of the beds as there wasn't enough room and the wardrobe wasn't full length. As we were staying for a week this wasn't satisfactory and when we complained to Reception we were told they were full that night and they couldn't do anything. To be fair, they did move us the next day to a room almost next door which was bigger and completely adequate. The breakfast is served in the bar - gets busy but we always found a table and continental breakfast was fine and plenty of choice. The location was good, subway station on the corner and it's a nice local neighbourhood rather than being in touristy area and suited us as it was near relatives. Restaurants around and easy to walk to shops! We visited New England for a few days and on returning they had given us the bigger room again (exactly the same room) so we were pleased they had noted that. I thought it was perfectly acceptable but there was no wow factor. Hotels in New York are so expensive that it didn't seem bad value for what we got (well once in the second room anyway) but I wasn't overwhelmed by the experience.

Room Tip: If you get allocated a small room, ask at Reception because there are bigger ones. I think it's...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank XHarry
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I booked this Hotel solely because of the location around the corner from a business appointment. I arrived mid afternoon and was very put out when I walked in and saw someone fast asleep on the worn furniture in the front lobby. I had pre-paid or I would have walked out then.

When I walked into my room I almost had a panic attack - it was that small with a teeny window overlooking a brick courtyard. No closet, hooks on the wall. No dresser but a couple of built in drawers and a half-size desk and straight back chair and queen size bed rounded out the picture.

I was going to work in my room ( free wifi but questionable security notice on the wifi) but decided that I couldn't stay in the room ( yes, I am a little dramatic). I went back to the front desk and told them that the room was not what I had expected and would not work.

A bellman showed me two options and although the desk had initially told me it would mean a $50 upgrade fee, I must have looked pretty pathetic, because they waived the fee.

The new room faced the street, had a king sized bed, and in addition to a small desk, had two worn but comfortable side chairs. On top of that -- three large windows with bright sunlight.
While there were still nicks on the furniture -- the place was CLEAN and totally acceptable. I was only staying one night -- good thing -- the closet was about 6 inches deep.

Morning complimentary full continental breakfast and then I was on my way.

All is well that ends well.

Room Tip: The only rooms I would recommend face the street not the courtyard
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Susie20817
Reviewed 30 January 2012

A great hotel, location was ideal being within walking distance to many attractions and 50 yards to the subway. Excellent and helpful staff. The only downside was a small cupboard to store our clothes - too small for two persons. Our room was on the cosy side, but as we weren't in there very much, it didn't matter. We took our own kettle/coffee as sadly this is a service not provided in the room. The housekeeper was great, good attention to detail. The continental breakfast was included in the rate and was a good start to the day. The only thing I can say is that the choice was the same every morning, which for us was little limiting during our six night stay. Personal choice! There are some great restaurants nearby; pizza and Turkish with plenty of choice. The nearby subway is great, being on the No 6 line. We ate in the bar on our first night as we arrived quite late - a very warm welcome by the bar tender and was a wonderful start to our holiday. We decided to book a cab at $55 direct from the hotel to the airport, which meant we could leave when we wanted and not be involved in a round robin collecting other passengers from other hotels. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. We want to go back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The rooms are very small and the hotel is overpriced. The breakfast was OK. Very nice strawberry croisants. You can do better in NYC.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

I often stay at the Park South Hotel when visiting New York for work, as it is right around the corner from my office. My last stay was in December 2011, where I was in town for almost a week. As usual, the staff was super friendly throughout the time I was at the hotel - down to the woman who asked me how my stay was in the elevator when I was going to check out.

A few things - prepare yourself for a small hotel room and bathroom. In true New York style, there really isn't a ton of space. On this particular visit, my room was extremely hot and stuffy. The bellhop who escorted me to my room informed me that he had just moved a woman out of that room a few hours earlier because it was so hot, but after turning down the heater and popping open a window, it was fine. I'm not too picky, so I decided to stay there, and if it got too hot, I would move. At first, it was fine, but in the middle of the night, it became unbearable. Needless to say, I spent the rest of my visit with the window open! The bathroom also is pretty tiny, and there's really no place to put toiletries. I spent most of my mornings placing my hairdryer on the toilet seat! Needless to say, I was pretty happy to get back to my spacious apartment in Mass. by the day I was supposed to check out!

The location of the hotel itself is pretty good - with a lot of restaurants and conveniences closeby. There is a Duane Reed on the corner if you want to stock up on water and other snacks, and there are several fast food and nice restaurants on the blocks surrounding the hotel.

The staff is great and has always been super friendly and happy to help every time I've been at the Park South. From watching my bags when I run down the street to get a diet pepsi or offering me extra chocolate at the desk, they're always upbeat and if anything is wrong, willing to work it out.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank ShoeGalSITC
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I picked this hotel due to its location price was reasonable for the area approx 200.00 for the night. The room had 2 double beds. A continental breakfast was included in the AM which was decent. There are a number of places to eat in walking distance including a McDonalds ,pizza and a restaraunt. The staff was pleasant and friendly. Check-in was a breeze I made a reservation a week before my stay all in all this was a good value ,clean ,with a friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: January 2012