“Great base to see NYC”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #50 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in December sharing a room with my mum. Room was a decent size (with two double beds and still room to swing a cat), bit dated so I'm guessing maybe the ground floor hasn't been renovated yet... but we had everything we needed, including a fridge and safe. Bathroom was small but shower was nice and hot, it was clean and there were some nice toiletries for my mum (who always forgets something!) We didn't have a view - well, unless you count an enclosed "courtyard" which housed some pipes and not a lot else, but we weren't in New York to look out the hotel window so it didn't bother us.
Our only niggles about the room were that we couldn't get the heater to work (not a big issue as the hotel was generally lovely and warm but we were looking for a bit of a boost on the heat after a day of trudging through the snow) and the fact that our room was on the ground floor close to the service area/staff cloakroom and we were woken up every morning pretty early (i.e. around 6am) by staff coming on shift and talking loudly on their way down the hall.

Other than that though the staff were excellent, reception staff and doorman were very friendly and welcoming and happy to help out with our questions about trains! Doorman stored our bags for our last day and arranged a car to take us to the airport which, when it's snowing outside, is much easier than hailing a cab.
We ate in the restaurant on our second evening and the food was excellent. They do a pretty reasonable fixed price menu too which would have been great if we'd had bigger appetites. They also have a happy hour (or 2) each evening with wine, beer and some bar snacks at a very reasonable price. Breakfast was great too.

Location is great, not too central that it's noisy, but we walked to Grand Central Station in about 10 minutes (in the snow) and you can easily walk to most of the big sights/shops etc. There's a subway stop at the end of the street which we caught to get to the financial district/Staten Island,and there are plenty of restaurants nearby if you fancy venturing out of the hotel for some dinner.

Overall, if you're looking for somewhere warm and comfortable to rest in after a day of sightseeing, along with friendly service, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Readz_in_Melbs
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for the kind and thoughtful review. I have to say you are very gracious under the circumstances with regards to the view and the noise levels you experienced. I do apologize for any inconvenience. I wish you would have had the opportunity to experience one of our newly refurbished rooms during your stay. In fact as part of our refurbishment efforts, we have decided to eliminate the ground level rooms so we can offer our guest not only a better view but some added food and beverage options. There are a number of enhancements planned for the Park South Hotel this year from a new rooftop bar to new guest rooms and corridors so I sincerely hope that you will visit with us again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of any assistance with your accommodations. Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Christiaan Aldoy

Write a ReviewReviews (2,521)

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here during the winter storm in January and our room was warm and cozy. We received a nice welcome at the front desk and enjoyed sitting by the fireplace the next morning for the complete and complimentary breakfast. What a good value for this great neighborhood (restuarants, 5th ave shopping, Grand Central station all close by) Beds comfortable and room clean and inviting. My daughter and I felt safe and well taken care of. Staff friendly and accomodating-more of a personal touch here than staying at the big hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CatznKidz

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review. This winter season has really been a rough one for NYC and our tourist. I’m sorry you were not met with better weather conditions but I’m happy you were comfortable during your stay. There’s nothing better than a warm fire place on a cold night or for that matter during a storm. I hope we get the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon under better weather conditions. You may want to visit us anytime after spring so you can be one of the first to enjoy our new rooftop bar. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance with your arrangements. Thanks again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed here for work in October 2013 and was quite disappointed. From other reviewers, it seems there's some rooms which have been renovated and others not. I stayed on the lower floors and had a room which overlooked the road. The room was tired, old and just didn't seem very clean. The carpets could do with a good deep clean, the sheets were pitted and had seen better days, and the occasional marks on the walls or sloppy repair work added up to a less-than-ideal room. I'd prefer to stay elsewhere next time I'm in the city for work, unless the hotel completes renovations on all rooms - hopefully soon, as it's in a great location and has really nice staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ozinamsterdam
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m very sorry to learn that you were not satisfied with your stay in October. As you noted, we are in the middle of a guest room refurbishment which is taking place in stages with some rooms close to completion while other rooms are still in need of some work. I can assure you however that this work will be completed very soon and all of the items noted will be fully rectified. I would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion of the hotel and hope that you contact me so you can experience the excited new changes. Please feel free to reach out to me any time and I will see to the details. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Very pleased with our stay- 5 nights during Christmas.

Very well located- 5 minutes walk to Empire State Building and 2 minutes to Underground.

The room, though small and a bit dated (double standard room type), was nice and clean and had everything you needed including a mini fridge and a safe while the bed was very comfortable and the heating was on radiator easy to adjust, but a bit noisy.

Service was very good- staff is friendly and helpful, but then again all Americans are like that!

We had breakfast included - which was very handy as you have a few choices of cereal, fruit, pastries and coffee/tea and when you're not a morning person it's nice to know you don't have to go looking for a place to have breakfast.
You also get free wifi- again very good to have when you are a tourist and they also had a few leaflets and brochures/magazines with places to visit and maps although we already had our plans, but still very handy as they were free.

We found that the best means of transportation was by underground - we got a 7 days pass for 30 USD per person and just for your information, the taxi to JFK is around 60 USD plus tip which in the States is an absolute must for any kind of service, so be prepared!

We definitely recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and you are not looking for luxury but a nice, comfy and clean hotel in a good location! The only thing to ask for specifically when you check-in would be a nice view, which we didn't have but weren't too bothered about it.

We also recommend the Mercury Bar located on the corner of 46th and 9th - easy to locate if you do the Circle Line Cruise, very nice American style, good service and good food!

Very nice experience, we absolutely LOVED New York!

2  Thank Ioana S
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Well I have to say the feeling is mutual about our friends on the other side of the pond. In my travels to the UK, I have always been met with friendly and helpful Brits. Thank you for the kind and gracious review. Our rooms are a bit dated which is why we are undergoing a full guest room refurbishment. This work is still underway although more than half of the rooms are close to completion. I’m sorry you did not get the opportunity to experience one. I sincerely hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon and I encourage you to contact me personally so I can ensure that you get one of our fully refurbished rooms. Thank you again.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This newly renovated, former SRO hotel is a standout in several ways. First, the staff is helpful, cheerful, and welcoming. Walking in the door and being greeted by the doorman is a pleasure. Rooms are a bit small (this is New York), but nicely appointed, and ours was dead quiet. The free wi-fi was flawless. The location is great; subway (the Lex #6) just down the block; easy walk to Morgan Library, Bryant Park, Madison Square Park, etc. The free breakfast is perfectly adequate and served in a pleasant room (it becomes the bar and an in-house restaurant at night). There are lots of reasonably-priced places to eat in the neighborhood (this part of Murray Hill is called Curry Hill for a reason). And the hotel is certainly reasonably priced by New York standards. Even leaving was easy. We booked the hotel's car service with the doorman. It was only a bit more than a taxi, but a lot more comfortable and waiting for us right on time.

2  Thank reprof

I am so very pleased that your stay went well. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your feedback with us. I’m not sure if this was your first visit with us but as you noted, the rooms are newly renovated and close to completion. It’s been a lengthy process but we are already receiving a good response to the new room changes including your own. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Please feel free to reach out to me directly for any assistance. Thanks again for the great review.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I spent four nights at this hotel near the Gramercy District and it was wonderful. The bed is most important to me, and it was very comfortable. I was concerned about noise because my third floor room was near the elevator, but I heard nothing. The room was clean and a decent size for a NYC hotel room. Even had my husband been with me, we would have had plenty of room. It is near the metro, so navigating my way through the city was easy.
The continental breakfast was included and had your typical fair and some surprises. There were hard boiled eggs and lunch meats to have with your bagel.
I had dinner one night at the bar in the restaurant, and the bartender, Andrew, took great care of me. Great conversation and service. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: Again, I was near the elevator and noise was not a problem, nor was it a problem being on the third...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Maggie R

I always enjoy our guest feedback especially when they have had the opportunity to experience both the hotel and the Black Duck. I want to thank you for taking the time to post your thoughtful and kind review. We have a number of big and exciting enhancements planned for the guest rooms and all of our food and beverage outlets including a new rooftop bar due to open this spring. I would welcome the opportunity to assist with your next booking, please do not hesitate to contact me personally. Thank you again.

Very Warm Regards,

Reviewed 21 December 2013

My husband booked a romantic overnight in NYC and we stayed at the Park South. What a fantastic location! Steps to the 6 subway line (2 stops from grand central) and walkable to Empire State, Macy's, Bryant Park ,etc. our room was recently renovated and I really liked the contemporary style. Very chic and modern. The lobby isn't much to brag about but who cares? Friendly, helpful staff and we got a good rate. Our breakfast was included and we had a very good experience overall.

2  Thank mimiFairfield_CT
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Sometimes you do not have to travel far to have an enjoyable time. I’m pleased you both got the opportunity to enjoy a romantic night away in NYC and also honored that we were able to play a part in your overall experience. We are planning to work on the lobby in the next few weeks and I think you will both be pleasantly surprised with the overall redesign. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon so you can enjoy all the new enhancements, after all Valentine’s Day is just around the corner.