“Shame about the plastic cutlery!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #48 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Shame about the plastic cutlery!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

This hotel is perfectly situated with easy access to everything a first time traveller would want to see in New York, especially as there is a subway at the end of the street. (Make sure you buy a 7 day Metro pass for $30 if you are staying for more than three days as it will make getting around very easy and much cheaper than paying $2.50 a journey.)
We, also, had a problem with rooms on arrival. We were four female friends away to celebrate a 40th birthday. Our booking through Thomas Cook clearly showed we had two superior queens which each accommodated up to a maximum of 4 people, yet on arrival, after a very tiring journey with a five hour flight delay, we were given rooms with only one double bed in each. We explained the situation to reception and the receptionist was very helpful, taking photocopies of our paperwork etc. The rooms were changed but the receptionist said they only had one superior room and the other would not be of the same standard. We were just relieved to have a bed each though disappointed that in neither room were there coffee makers or slippers and the 'plush' gowns promised on the web site were cheap cotton affairs not the thick towelling ones we expected. Our view was also of a brick wall. However the beds were comfortable and it was very quiet at night so a good night's sleep was had by all.
Breakfast was good. Despite the plastic cutlery and paper plates and bowls, there was a good cold food selection and plenty of tables for everyone, even with the many school groups that were there.
Staff at the hotel were lovely, polite, friendly and extremely helpful. I would definitely stay there again but would make absolute certain I knew how many beds I was getting before arrival next time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl W
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to share your recent experience. I’m very sorry to learn that there were some accommodation discrepancies upon your group’s arrival. I am however pleased that we were able to resolve the issue partially given the high occupancy levels. At the moment, we are still in the process of our ongoing refurbishment and a few items such as the Keurig coffee makers, some of our linens and other small assorted items are still in transit. All items are expected to be in place very soon. In addition, we recently closed the Black Duck restaurant kitchen in preparation for a full renovation of our food and beverage facilities. This temporary arrangement eliminates our ability to wash dishware. This is why we are offering our complimentary continental breakfast in environmentally safe paper products. We realize this is not the most appealing product but hope you can understand this transition. I do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you and your party during your celebration. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly further in the hopes of resolving any other concerns you may have. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can be of any further assistance. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Christiaan Aldoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I never write a review but this hotel deserves one. I an staying here with the wife and kids and am impressed at how clean the room is. The staff here are great very friendly and on check in we had a lady who got us a map and advised us on the best places to visit. This hotel is in an ideal location to get to Empire State Building, time square, Maddison sq gardens and other main attractions. If your looking for a clean great located hotel with friendly staff then book up.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jag S
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Well we certainly appreciate that you took the time to write the review and for the wonderful rating. I’m pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed the hotel and the staff. Our team really enjoys finding and suggesting just the right venues for guests when the opportunity presents itself. I hope you and your family will visit with us again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be of any assistance on your next planned trip. Thanks again.

Very kind regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My friends and I travelled to New York to spend a birthday and New years in Times square (bucket list check!) and we had payed for a 2 double bed room and we were upgraded to a king sized bed and a pull out couch which worked out better for us. The hotel location is great, the staff were very friendly and even had a cupcake for my best friends birthday sent to the room, nut free cause they asked us at check in and we mentioned she can't have nuts. I really enjoyed this hotel and I intend on going back when I visit New York again :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cori C
Thank you so much for the kind review and choosing the Park South for the special occasion. I’m very pleased that our team was able to contribute to the celebration. I hope you will not hesitate to reach out to me personally on your next planned visit. Thank you again.

Warm regards,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

When we arrived at the Park South Hotel, we were very tired after our long red-eye flight and the front desk staff was extremely polite and nice. They even offered us breakfast in the morning even though we had not officially checked in yet. The location was amazing.The 6 Subway is less than a minute walk away, and the hotel is right next to Park Avenue. Gramercy Park, Madison Square, Empire State Building, and Flatiron are all within easy walking distance. The room staff was very polite and nice, and the rooms were always very clean. However, the one thing negative about this trip was our room. Actually, I should first mention that we have stayed at this hotel twice before, and we keep coming back because the rooms are usually very good. Unfortunately, the room this time was extremely tiny. It was the same price and the same type of room as our previous stays here, but this room was very small. The room was much more modern than our last stay, but we would much rather have a bigger room than a trendy one. Another problem was the view. We literally looked out onto a wall and an ally. We could have had no window at all and it wouldn't make a difference. There really was no view. After multiple stays at this hotel, this one was definitely the worst, but it still was an overall good experience.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Winkie J
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your feedback, we do appreciate it. I’m sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with the size of your room. As with most hotels, we offer an array of room categories with verifying sizes to accommodate our guest needs. I’m not certain of the circumstances surrounding your particular stay however it is possible we did not have a larger room available at either the time of booking or upon arrival. For this I do apologize. You mentioned that you had stayed with us previously. I certainly hope this unfortunate circumstance does not prevent you from returning. In fact, it is my hope that you will reach out to me personally on your next visit so that I may arrange a complimentary upgrade. Please feel free to reach out to me at your convenience when you are ready. Thank you again.

Kind Regards,
Amherst, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

friendly staff, gorgeous renovation, wonderful breakfast. highly recommended. recommend pippali if you're going out for Indian. convenient location, thoughtful historic photography throughout of NYC from the turn of the century.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so very much for the kind and thoughtful review, we certainly appreciate it. We are all very pleased with the refurbishment efforts and we have been receiving positive reviews. Our new rooftop bar should be opening in about a month or so, I hope you get the opportunity to experience it firsthand. Please feel free to reach out to me personally if I can be of any assistance on your next trip to NYC. Thanks again.

Very Warm Regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed here with my wife last week, 5 nights total. Our first time staying at this property and everything was excellent. The location is central, perfect for all of our needs (me on vacation, wife working). The staff was always warm, smiling and professional. The room was clean, spacious and relaxing. Even though we didn't dine in the Black Duck restaurant, the continental breakfast was tasty and very European.

I worked out in the fitness room one morning, and even though it's small they have 4 machines, a set of dumb bells, and a stability ball.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room if you are sensitive to street noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christiaan A, Public Relations Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you so much for the kind review and for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will join us again soon. We have a great deal of new exciting and enhancements planned for this year including new fitness equipment to keep you in shape. I hope you will not hesitate to reach out to me directly should you need any assistance with your arrangements. Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

First and foremost, the staff at Park South Hotel is stellar. Everyone is incredibly friendly, helpful, and informative. I can't say enough about that. The hotel itself is very clean, comfortable, and well maintained. Very comfortable beds, towels, and linens and the rooms are a nice size. The location is convenient and the neighborhood is residential. The daily breakfast buffet is a nice touch, full of many different options. I will absolutely stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Christiaan A, General Manager at Park South Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and the endorsement, we sincerely appreciate it. I’m very happy to learn that our team took good care of you during your stay. We are working diligently to enhance the hotel from a new rooftop bar to additional food and beverage facilities. I hope you will join us again soon so you can experience all the wonderful changes firsthand. Please be sure to reach out to me personally when planning your next trip, it will be my pleasure to assist you.

Very Warm Regards,