“Great value and convenience”
Review of Park South Hotel

Park South Hotel
Ranked #58 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 28 January 2011

I like this hotel a lot for the price. It is a great value with rooms around $135 or so. It is very convenient, a half block from the 6 train and lots of restaurants around. The room is small and basic, but there is good free wifi and a really nice breakfast in the morning. This is the hotel I choose over and over when I have business at NYU dental school.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Park South Hotel

Reviewed 27 January 2011

My husband took me to NYC last weekend for my birthday. He was able to get a great deal on Travelzoo for a room at Park South, but I was unaware that he had called the hotel the day before we left to arrange for a complimentary upgrade. I loved the look of the hotel. It was built in the early 1900's so it had a lot of character and charm. It wasn't your typical chain, which we really liked. The room was large for NYC and had a view of the Chrysler Building. The bathroom was a little small, but that wasn't a problem. Loved the bath products and the room was very clean.

Breakfast was included in the price of the room. It was served in the Black Duck Restaurant which was attached to the hotel. Breakfast included croissants, bagels, cheeses and meats, hard-boiled eggs, fruits and some of the best coffee I've ever had. A nice plus was that it was served until 11:00. We had a meal in the restaurant on Monday night and it was delicious. I had shrimp cocktail and the most delicious clam chowder and my husband had scallops. Yummy! Saturday night we listened to live jazz and enjoyed some drinks in the restaurant. We spent a lot of time there. Partly because it was so cold while we were in New York, but also because it was such a relaxing place to be.

Everyone we came in contact with in the hotel was so nice and professional. The location was perfect. Right around the corner was a French restaurant, Les Halles owned by Anthony Bourdain. I got escargot and I do believe they were the best I've ever had. My husband had the steak, frites, and salad special. I had a bite of the steak and it melted in your mouth. Around the other corner from the hotel was another French restaurant, La Petite Auberge. We were a little disappointed in the food, but the chocolate mousse was to die for!

All in all, this short vacation was one of the best ever. A big part of the reason why was because of our hotel. The best compliment to the hotel is that I'm planning a girl's trip to New York in October and I'm already making plans to stay at Park South. The thing about New York is that it is so addictive. As soon as you leave you start planning your next trip. It's the greatest city in the world!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I found a great deal for the Park South Hotel on Travel Zoo, and after reading other reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to book it. This was a great decision. The Park South Hotel went beyond our expectations. A boutique hotel, it was more intimate that the bigger hotels, but that was made it seem more personal. The lobby was warm and inviting, and our room was comfortable. It wasn't huge, but that's pretty common in NYC. We had a superior king room, and for two people, it was perfectly adequate. We had plenty of room to maneuver, the bed was comfortable, and most importantly, the entire place was clean. The room was pleasantly decorated, and our room also had a mini-fridge. The bathroom was a bit on the small side, but we just took turns in there, so it was no problem. Breakfast was included each day in the Black Duck restaurant, and there were plenty of choices. We never left there hungry. Speaking of the Black Duck restaurant, the food was really good and the service was superb. On Saturday night there was a comedian and on Sunday night they showed an old James Bond flick. The neighborhood around the hotel is not too touristy, and there are shops and restaurants nearby. A subway station is just 1/2 block away (28th St. on the #6 train). It was nice to be away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square, but it was still easy enough to get everywhere we wanted to go. I highly recommend this hotel, and I would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cool_teacher590
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I have just returned from my second trip to the park south hotel in manhatton ! I can not rate this hotel highly enough , it is a small boutique style hotel with the friendliest and most obliging staff I have met. It is excellent value for money centrally located right beside the 6 subway station and within easy walking distance of new Yorks many attractions and shopping areas. The staff are fab so warm and accomadating , I first stayed three years ago and the majority of the staff are still the same which to me speaks volumes for a place , when I return to new York I will definitly be staying in the park south again

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 8 December 2010

First the pros: only 1/2 block to #6 subway; smaller hotel than better known chains; location has neighborhood feel; staff accomodating & friendly; very decent contintental breakfast; nice toiletries. The cons: small room & bathroom; not enough light in room & lobby; no robe as listed in amenities (no big deal to us, though); bathroom floor could have been cleaned every day.
Comments: Think the room was probably typically NYC hotel size; we usually stay at the larger chain hotels in NYC (Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton) & I think their room sizes are traditionally larger anyway. We liked that it was a smaller boutique type hotel so had a nicer feel than the larger ones we're accustomed to. The 1st night we had a problem with our heater. Called the front desk, & maintenance came in 8 minutes or so and quickly fixed it. We found a couple of nice French restaurants in the neighborhood that we could walk to: Les Halles & La Petite Auberge. During our next stay I think we'll upgrade to an executive room for more space.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BuckHorse
Reviewed 6 December 2010

This was a lovely hotel tucked away from the madness of holiday crowds but close enough to every touristy place you want to go. The double-bed room was spacious and clean. The breakfast room/dining room has a warm/cozy feeling to it. The breakfast included bagels, pastries, meats and cheeses, fresh fruit and juices, yogurt, boiled eggs, coffee and tea. There was enjoyable live music on Saturday night and a muted James Cagney movie playing on Sunday night. There's a small library/balcony on the second floor and a free business room on the lower level where you can access the internet. There is no concierge desk but all staff are easily and readily available to answer any questions. Staff was very friendly and made the stay memorable. There's a subway station just a few steps down the street. Utilize this to access the city readily and economically. If you take cabs, the fares aren't so bad either; $11 + tip to Time Sq., $35 fare to LGA. We didn't have a chance to walk the surrounding neighborhood since we were there mostly for the holiday sights. It's certainly not a glitzy/ritzy/action-filled part of town, but this is what I appreciated about it. It was like "going home" every night to the room. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank HumanRace
Reviewed 26 November 2010

The extensive breakfast spread included with the room rate is a real plus. My room was quite comfortable for my needs. I would have liked to have a luggage rack, however, and the coffee maker referred to by other reviews wasn't part of the amenities in my room. I was not bothered by noise from other rooms, at all. The location is excellent. Very easy access to almost all of the rest of Manhattan.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo