“Very good hostel”
Review of Jazz on the Park

Jazz on the Park
“Very good hostel”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stood at the hostel with a friend, accommodations were good. We had ac which was great. Staff were hit and miss however Maria was great. Thank you Maria for your hospitality service you were amazing. Breakfast left something to be desired maybe bacon common rooms were cool interaction with guests were cool met a lot of new people

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 21 August 2014

-Staff - Great and helpful. Jose and Maria are the greatest.
-Shower - Works perfect; with hot water.
- Rooms - The rooms are good, the only thing are the beds that aren't so good. But, I mean, for the price it is worth it.
- Free breakfast with bagels, muffins and coffee. Buy your own water at the Deli next door for 1$.
- The metro is close but you will take a long time to go from Upper West Side to every where else. Metro sometimes doesn't come on time so it is worth it to take a cab if you are in a hurry.

My experience with the Hostel was good. The only thing that I really DON'T ADVICE it is to take the shuttle to the airport or to the hostel. The driver that works there are the worst ever. I had problems with them, almost didn't get to the airport on time and other friend that used that also had problems with the driver. Don't take it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Loughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend as a cheap bed for the night, and cheap it was but not worth the money we paid, and they even tried to say they had undercharged us when we booked out even though we paid in full upon arrival. We didn't really feel the staff were that helpful and wished we had booked alternative accommodation.
We knew it was a youth hostel so expected that type of accommodation but the room left a lot to be desired. The lock on the door was faulty and they had no spare rooms to move us to. Some of the electrical sockets didn't work so charging our equipment was difficult as we had to share and the bunk beds were uncomfortable. Added to that the wifi was expensive to have in the rooms and didn't always connect so was fairly unstable.
The location on 106th street was probably too far from the main areas even though the metro was on 103rd, so after lots of walking around the city the journey back was too long. If it's a cheap stay you're after then I would still avoid this hotel because I'm sure you'll find equally cheap but value for money places in New York. I in fact checked out 36 hours early to head home and whilst I enjoyed NY I wasn't sad to see the back of Jazz.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Really great location right next to Central Park, and only a <5 minute walk to subway station. The hostel itself is okay, beds are very hard and kinda small if you're tall, bathrooms are average, cramped and not very private (shower curtains that are too small for the shower).
Good but basic breakfast, nice lounge downstairs and a small outdoor area.
Security is average with a different method to get into rooms, key card, tap card or just an actual key, lockers are available but small and tip over easy as I found
Rooms good size with AC, chair and maybe a desk

Stayed August 2014
Falkenstein, Germany
Reviewed 10 August 2014

On the first day when I arrived they put my stuff in the luggage room and didn't lock it. But on the last day, they put my stuff in a better one at the basement. The hostel was pretty dirty, facilities too. They were sitting everyday in the kitchen (it was the lounge as well) and didn't recognise the dirty windows. I think nobody has ever cleaned the windows. It was not allowed to use the kitchen. The aircon in the lounge was damaged. It was like 30°. Its ok if you need just a place to sleep, but the price was to high for that!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Arrived here on a late afternoon and was informed that renovations were going on- not that that's negative in itself, but I would have appreciated being told about this beforehand. And upon walking to the room, it could hardly be more obvious that renovations were going on; dust-filled halls, tools scattered throughout the floor and never-ending sounds of drills in action. Entering the room, things didn't look much better either. The door looked as if it had been removed and put in again, with cracks here and there that ensured that the whistling of the workers at 11.30pm on that Friday night wasn't left unnoticed, while the lockers were close to falling apart. Service, however, was good, though it varied somewhat depending on who was serving the front desk. I am sure that the hostel offers better rooms than the one I received, and it is enough only to look at the discrepancy between the pictures I posted and those they have put online to see that the difference could hardly have been greater. This was my second stay at a hostel, and it was admittedly one I regret having..

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at the jazz hostel. I met so many people, it is actually my first hostel stay ever. It is cheap with great atmosphere you meet people from all around the world and you have so much fun. At reception I must say the staff was great but Maria stands out out of all she was very helpful and would go the extra mile to keep us happy. I will do another hostel stay and I will be visiting the jazz again. The only negative I give this place is the comedy show it sucks.

Stayed July 2014