“best breakfast value in midtown Manhattan?”
Review of Ess-a-Bagel

Ess-a-Bagel
Ranked #18 of 406 Bakeries in New York City
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Fast food
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Midtown
markham
“best breakfast value in midtown Manhattan?”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We tripped into this place for breakfast one morning.. and became regulars (for breakfast) for the rest of the trip. The choices for what to put on a bagel? Overwhelming. They suggest you try their famous chicken parmigiana bagel, and also their reuben (I tied mine with pastrami)... Wonderful. I wish I had two stomachs. Kids were ordering bagels, cheesecakes, cakes, fruit cups... the menu spans BOARDS across a wall, and the displays look so yummy... How popular is this place? There is always a lineup. Inside maybe a line of 30+ ppl, sometimes 15 more outside... however they have 6 or so ppl handling the orders and making your stuff on the spot, so it moves along quickly enough. And *nobody* complains about the line, and *everyone* looks pleased for what they are about to order. That is knowing and satisfying your market, no doubt about it. There is a seating area but it's always full, so if you're not into waiting for it to free up, just take your food to go.. one morning we ate ours on a side street by the Luxemburg embassy offering a view of the East River, another we ate in Central Park, ... and why not? The workers look exhausted.. it's constant work for them starting I think 6am. I saw one guy get glared at one morning by his coworkers because he was going on break, they don't have time to breathe. He was apologetic but he said he had to rest. Another one I befriended told me the job is a test in patience. It is a never ending assembly line, with a complex menu... I have a lot of respect for these guys. No matter how tired they are, the quality of what you get is undiminished. These guys are pros. The food yummy. I will be back.

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Reuben, and One Tasty Bagel”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We were glad we moved three avenues over from the main tourist drag to come here - for lunch we got a reuben and an onion bagel with herb cream cheese and for the price of a McDonald's it was heaven on a plate! A little slice of the NYC we all want to see and taste!

Visited July 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Always a line at the door...”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Whenever we make a trip to NYC, we ALWAYS bring back bagels. We take em home, pre-cut them and put them in the freezer. That way our fix lasts for days and days.
Nothing compares to a NYC bagel and Ess-a-Bagel is our place to get them. Every time we visit there's a line and they are locals, not tourists. New Yorkers know their bagels.
The bagels here are huge, hand-rolled, chewy and the real deal. Be advised, if you decide to take some home the garlic ones will let those around you know you're carrying bagels!
Next time you're in NYC, stop by Ess-a-Bagel to enjoy just one or a dozen (a baker's dozen) to take home.
FYI: Their 3rd Av shop is just a short walk from the 51st St subway station on the 6 or the Lexington/53rd St station on the E/M.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Dan W
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Wonderful place.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Love it. It was packed but it worth it. Good food and service. Planning eat breakfast every day during the vacation in New York

• Visited June 2014
Suwanee,GA
“Good bagels, scary worker staff guy!”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

OK, I know it's New York and all, but seriously, when you are scared to place your order because you are afraid the worker is going to yell at you, like he did to the person in front of you, and the person a few in front of them, that's not good! The bagels are delicious, but I don't think I'd go back because I seriously experienced anxiety!

Visited February 2014