“Just gets worse”

Ranked #38 of 468 Hotels in New York City
London
“Just gets worse”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is my third business stay here. The first time was on their second day so you could forgive a few issues. This time the air conditioning is the loudest of any hotel ever. One benefit is that it does drown out the noise of being on 57th street. This morning no hot water so a bracing cold shower. No apology from front desk. I was just told that they have heard that there is an issue. The breakfast service was the slowest of any NY restaurant, and they still got the orders wrong. The ship for dinner had more than seven times the weekly allowance for any human being.

They had tablets to control all the room setting but they were complex so have installed new system and this one does not work at all. Compactly incapable of controlling anything.

It may be slightly cheaper than surrounding hotels but I am not coming back. Good design but terrible execution. As I am on a business trip I do not need to spend much time in the room.

Room Tip: Go for the inside ones. The view is of the garbage shoot but it is quieter than being on 57th street...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank sashob
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
sashob, please allow me to personally apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the working order of your room. Your comfort is our greatest priority, and I am very sorry for these most unfortunate and regrettable circumstances. Because our Front Desk shared your concerns with me upon your departure, I have reached out to you directly via email and would very much appreciate the chance to speak with you if your schedule allows. I look forward to the opportunity to restore your confidence.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Recently returned from a 3 night stay at The Quin, the hotel itself is situated perfectly - very close to Central Park and comfortable walking distance to almost everything you could want to do. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful - being offered an umbrella by the door staff on their judgement of the weather was a godsend, it almost always rained when they thought it would, even if we thought otherwise (local knowledge is a fantastic thing!). The only slight downside to this hotel was room service came quite early on our first morning, we turned this down and asked the maid to come back in 30 minutes once we were ready, this didn't happen and the room wasn't cleaned - we hadn't noticed the "service room" button by the door, so this potentially was our mistake. We were slightly disappointed that fresh towels weren't offered, considering this hotel is a 5*, we would have thought it would have been noted the room hadn't been cleaned and no fresh towels had been given, we didn't make an issue of this and just re-used towels. Turn down service also came quite early, around 7pm when we were still in the room getting ready for the night ahead. Apart from that, I can't fault this hotel and the lovely staff. I can't wait to return for another fantastic stay in the very near future!

• Stayed May 2014
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
sldav, thank you for your fantastic review! We're delighted to read that you appreciated thoughtful service delivered by our helpful team and that we were able to ensure your comfort even outside of the hotel. However, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience caused by the delayed service of your room. We look forward to your return and would be happy to schedule service and turn down at your discretion upon your next visit.
Arizona
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at the Quin for 9 nights at the end of April. The service was exemplary at all levels and from all the staff. They were thoughtful and caring and the staff appeared quite content to be working at the Quin. It was an easy walk to Central Park and Broadway shows. Carnegie Hall was right on our street. The room was very clean and the amenities were perfectly suited to many needs. A great deal of care and follow-up was evident and appreciated...I would love to stay at the Quin again....LT, Tempe, Arizona

Room Tip: I had a room on a high floor and it was very quiet except for the air-conditioning.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LATArizona
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
LATArizona, thank you for your excellent review. It's gratifying for all of us to read that you found our service to be exemplary at all levels. It was our pleasure to ensure your experience was perfectly suited to your needs, and we too would love to have you stay with us again soon.
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed in this hotel for a longer weekend. The hotel is in a very good location, relatively quiet part of Manhattan. The service is very professional and helpful. We enjoyed their modern look and equipment. The room was big enough, considering you are staying in New York ;-) It is quite pricey, but overall a very good tip if you are looking for modern and uncomplicated place to stay. Loved the black-out blinds available at your finger tip via the room operating tablet. The cleaning staff were fantastic and it was great to come back to a tidy room at night too. Will defintiely come back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Richard H, thank you for your fantastic review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It’s a privilege to have earned your loyalty, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is well located, cheerful, excellent customer service. Would have given it five stars had it not been for the discomfort of the beds. Would stay there again and highly recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Olfat2013, thank you for your wonderful review. Your enthusiastic recommendations are much appreciated, and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!
cork
Reviewed 13 May 2014

well we stayed in the quin for 2 nights arrving on the 4th of may.On the first night we had an issue as the room was noisy and we didnt sleep well but Jim in reception didnt take long to get us a room which was much quiter with no view.We were not worried about a biew so it suited us fine.This room was 701 so if you are looking for a quite room,go for this one.

The hotel is very nice and has great staff and is within easy walking distance to everywhere.

We got room service one night and it was nice although pricey

We would have no hessitation in recommending the Quin hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a lite sleeper,then get a room facing the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Snuggycork, on behalf of Jim and the entire team, thank you for your great review. Thank you also for allowing us to find accommodations that better suited your needs during your stay. We’re delighted you enjoyed a lovely visit, and we hope to welcome you back to the Quin upon your next trip to New York City.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 12 May 2014

When I go to NYC I always stay at the Crosby St. It's the perfect hotel for me in a lot of ways; but it's gotten quite expensive, so I am open to an alternative. A friend in the Travel biz recommended the Quin. He had just inspected it and was impressed.

As usual, I checked out the reviews on here and they seemed pretty good. So, clicking through from Tripadvisor I made a direct reservation with the hotel. I completed the transaction online and about a week later realized I couldn't find the confirmation.

I picked up the phone and spoke to a woman in the reservation dept. She told me that, yes indeed I had made a reservation. I asked her what was my rate and she told me that since the trip was booked through Tripadvisor she could not tell me. I was confused. I've used links off this website many times before and never had a problem. She said she had no information about my planned stay because of the way I booked it and told me to bring up my problem with Tripadvisor. What?

I also didn't think I had made my reservation through Tripadvisor, because I didn't think Tripadvisor is in the travel booking business. The are a review and referral site. For lack of a better path forward, I contacted Tripadvisor. (BTW Tripadvisor makes it impossible for you to call them which is annoying when you want to clear something up quickly.) About 24 hours later, I got a letter back telling me what I already knew: Tripadvisor is not a booking engine and I could not have booked my reservation through them.

So, now I called the hotel back and asked to speak to a supervisor. I told the woman what had happened, and she said she did not see a reservation for me at all (even though another woman had the day before). I told her I had made it through Tripadvisor and about the conversation I had the first time I called. The response was a fair amount of heavy typing and silence. Eventually, she asked if I could hold. She returned to the line after about 5 mintues and said they were just typing up my confirmation and I could expect it any minute now! What? Huh? It's a week later! You just told me I didn't have a reservation at all... I hate being treated like I'm stupid, even if I really am.

Listen, things go awry all the time when you travel. But the Quin lied to me (you didn't make your reservation through us, you made your reservation through Tripadvisor; I had not, I made it through the hotel's own website). They said dumb, untrue things ("we can't tell you your rate because the reservation was not through us.") I don't know how booking engines work, but how would then know what to charge me if they didn't have a rate associated with my name.

Finally, they expected me to accept something that made no sense at all as if it were logical (we're just typing your reservation now!) I didn't even get a cursory apology. That sucks, huh?

My first response was to make a reservation at the Crosby while I decide what this says about my potential stay. I don't know if I am comfortable that I'll get the kind of service I look for at a hotel where truth is an elusive, sketchy thing.

What kind of first impression is that?

Room Tip: Ask yourself: Is the hotel better than their front office?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank RonK_LA
Holly B, General Manager at the Quin, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
RonK_LA, I am sincerely sorry for the frustration caused by your reservations process. There were indeed several errors made by our reservations department, and retraining will be done to address this immediately. Please be assured that this unfortunate situation is not indicative of the trustworthy excellence we strive to uphold in all our services. Regrettably, we have disappointed you, and I would appreciate the chance to personally ensure that your visit more accurately reflects the superior experience you should expect. I can be reached at hbreuche@thequinhotel.com at your convenience.