“Not value for money”

Ranked #399 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York, United States
“Not value for money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

There was no drinking water option in vending machine, coffee and donuts were of poor quality. We chose this hotel because of the location(proximity to manhattan) and paid premium price,the location was good, but 39th st on saturday had some street closure due to some market which caused lot of garbage to lie around.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Anand,

Thank you for your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and will use your suggestions to
better serve you and our guests in the future. I do think you are mistaken with respect to our vending machines and the lack of bottled water. Our machines are fully loaded with premium water and other beverages. In fact, our beverage machine has two full rows dedicated solely to bottled water.

I regret you didn't like our delicious locally baked pastries and fresh brewed Colombian gourmet coffee. I hope it wasn't too much of an inconvenience and that you were able to enjoy the rest of our delicious American breakfast buffet.

We hope to see you again soon. Thank you again for choosing the Best Western Convention Center Hotel!

Warm Regards,

Best Western Convention Center Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Granby, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Hotel staff was friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Nice hot and cold breakfast. I was attending a trade show at the convention center. Loacation was very convenient. Overall a nice stay. Will come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Richs25644,

We truly appreciate the kind words regarding the hotel and our staff. We pride ourselves in the quality of our staff, and their ability to exceed expectations on a daily basis. Our proximity to the Jacob Javit Center gives us a distinct advantage over our competitors, especially for guests attending the convention center's weekly expos. The fact that we are just half a block from the convention center provides our guests that added convenience.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay at the Best Western Convention Center, and we look forward to your next stay.

Best Western Convention Center
Mesa, AZ, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Alhtough the front desk personnel were friendly and helpful, we had a very tiny room. There was no refrigerator in the room and the hotel is across the streets from an all night taxi repair shop! I realize the rooms in NYC are high-priced, but our room was certainly not worh what we paid!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Geno,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Best Western Convention Center Hotel. We appreciate the kind words regarding our Front Desk staff. We strive to lead the industry in customer service by exceeding guest expectations on a daily basis.

I do regret that you weren't happy with your room size. Although the size of our rooms are standard in NYC, I can definitely understand your desire for more spacious accommodations. Also, please understand the noise from the repair shop is completely out of our control. Regardless if you're uptown, downtown, Times Square, or Williamsburg, there will always be some type of street commotion. That's one of the things that gives the city it's charm. NYC is the "city that never sleeps".

Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay and for choosing the Best Western Convention Center Hotel.

Jesup, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Reading the previous reviews, I was a little fearful of what I would find when I got here, but I am writing this review to let everyone know that this is a great, cheap, alternative to the pricier hotels.
The lobby renovation is complete and the lobby is beautiful, and the rooms are also very nice. Yes, the rooms are small, but come on, this is Manhattan. Yes, as of right now, there are some dirty parts of the area that the hotel is located in, but you will see that in every area of Manhattan. Above all the front desk staff personnel are all very nice and extremely helpful. Mike even went home and researched where we could find a good place to see the fireworks. The hotel is the most convenient hotel if you have business at the Javitts Convention Center and you could pick up a cab very easily at the cross streets. I am glad I stayed here!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 488carlae
Carla,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our modest hotel and our fantastic staff. We understand our limitations, but try to exceed expectations with the things that we have control over. Our staff is highly personable and enjoy making our guests feel at home on a daily basis. We relish going that extra mile to ensure your stay at the Best Western Convention Center is as pleasant as possible.

On behalf of Mike and the rest of the staff, I thank you for choosing the Best Western Convention Center Hotel. We look forward to your next stay.

Warm Regards,

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

AAA had told me this was real close to everything and would be a good location for us to stay near the Macy's parade route. We went out to Central Park, Times Square area most days and at the end of the day it seemed like a longer trek back to the hotel than I had expected when speaking with the AAA rep. It was a lot colder than normal last November (2013) and so on the way to the Theater or on the way back with an 11 yr old it just seemed too far to walk in the cold and i got quite a few cabs. (we are from Florida and we don't experience that type of cold regularly). It seemed like it was on a sort of quiet street-too quiet for my liking when walking with my son in the dark if you know what i mean. It was right down from a Duane Reade which was nice. The tunnel for the NJ train was right outside next to the Taxi repair shop that repaired cars until late at night so it wasn't the quietest place to stay but I am a light sleeper.
Everything else was great. The continental breakfast was good each day. The matress seems firm at first but was SO comfortable. The heater worked super well-no problems and we got an extra blanket when requested. Hailing a cab from near the hotel was no problem either.
I probably would not stay again based solely on the distance from Times Square. If you are needing to go to the Convention Center it probably is convenient.

Room Tip: request to be away from the road. The little taxi repair shop across the street repairs them late at...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Lisa B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Best Western Convention Center Hotel. We value all guests opinions regardless of its nature. We pride ourselves in the quality of staff, the deliciousness of our complementary breakfast buffet, and our uber comfortable Tempur-pedic mattresses.

I do however apologize if you felt the 10-15 minute walk to Times Square was an inconvenience. I understand the strain a lot of walking can have on a child after a long day of sightseeing and shopping. I also regret the inconvenience with respect to the taxi repair shop adjacent to the hotel. I hope you can understand it is completely out of our control.

Thank you again for the review and for choosing the Best Western Convention Center, we hope to see you again in the near future.

Anderson, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This hotel was a decent place to stay if you are not staying too long. We left the room early each morning and did not return until late at night, so it was alright to sleep in. The breakfast was great, both hot and cold, and the dining area was clean. The hotel really needs updating, but at least it was clean. Taking showers were hard, because the water does not stay hot. The views are awful, but I guess there is nothing really to look at considering the location of the building. It is right beside a train track, so it was very noisy. We will try to get closer in to Times Square next time we visit New York. One other thing that I would like to mention is that we booked through Hotwire and they messed up our room accommodations. We had to pay an upgrade charge on the two rooms that we stayed in, and I am not quite sure what I paid for. The rooms were extremely small, but I guess that is to be expected in NY. I was told by management that Hotwire does this all the time. (My first and last time booking through Hotwire.) The staff was not overly friendly, but overall, I guess you can say that it was a decent experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not beside the elevator as it can be very noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
MrsK276,

Thank you taking the time to review your stay at the Best Western Convention Center. We truly value all guests comments regardless of it's nature. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our rooms and our delicious complementary breakfast buffet. We recently completed renovating the lobby and breakfast area, and will hopefully by years end start renovating our rooms. We hear you loud and clear.

Please accept my sincere apology with respect to the water issue you said you encountered while staying with us. There's no excuse for poor water temperature in our guests rooms. The issue should have been reported and taken care of immediately.

The Hudson Project construction in the neighborhood makes the view a bit unpleasant to some, at the moment. But I can guarantee you once the work is done, this neighborhood will have the best views in the city. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about the Amtrak running near the hotel. I hope it was not too much of an inconvenience to you and your family.

In regards to Hotwire and other third party hotel reservation companies. We value our relationship with them and appreciate the great savings they offer our guests. But I do recommend anybody that books a reservation through them to thoroughly read the fine print. If there is any question about the accommodations, I would suggest they contact the hotel directly before accepting the terms.

Thank you again for choosing the Best Western Convention Center Hotel and we look forward to your next stay.

Springfield MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is half a block west of 10th Avenue. Another 1/2 block and you're at the Javitts Convention Center, which fronts on Eleventh Ave.

To get to the hotel from Penn Station train (between 31st & 33rd St and 7th & 8th Ave.), it's a $10 cab ride (with tip) in day time traffic. Or, if there are 100+ people ahead of you waiting for cabs, as it was when we arrived; plus, the weather is fine, we hiked (with 2 suitcases) up 8th Ave., 5 blocks and over 2 blocks…past 10th Ave ½ block to the hotel. In the summer, make sure you have some water with you. If you've arrived by bus at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, go two blocks south and west 2 1/2 blocks.

Special thanks go to Annie Chen, General Manager; Robert Benjamin, Customer Relations Manger; Marci, Front desk clerk, Quinn front desk at night; plus, Mike in Security and Robert in maintenance. They deserve thanks for excellent services rendered. Everybody was friendly and helpful, including the maids. We will be back!

We stayed three nights at the hotel, which is about a 5 minute walk to the Javitts Convention Center.
Although the room and bathroom were small compared to other Best Western Hotels we have stayed at, our stay was worth it. We discovered that rooms with a King-sized bed are smaller than rooms with two, Queen beds.

Since my wife is a vegan and I'm a vegetarian, we found items at the breakfast buffet that we could eat in addition to the dried food we carry and cook in a hot pot in the room. In addition to the dairy milk at the breakfast buffet, It would be nice if hotels had soy or almond milk available for drinking or for cereals.

After checking out and while at the train station, I found that I had left my sunglasses with its case, in my room. Marci answered my phone call for help in finding them, saying the Customer Relations Mgr., would check the room. Fortunately, the glasses were found. They did a great job of packing it with plenty of bubble wrap around the case and then put it in a taped shipping envelope to which UPS attached a Call Tag. If that ever happens to you, just go to a UPS Store (Fedex doesn't offer the service) for the "return it to you" Call Tag service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank ReviewTeam
BWCCRelationsManager, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Convention Center Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
ReviewTeam,

Thank you the great review and for choosing the Best Western Convention Center Hotel. We take great pride in the quality of our Front Desk staff and their ability to exceed expectations on a daily basis. Whether it's shipping lost & found items back to our guests to arranging daily sightseeing tours, our staff is trained to go above and beyond to satisfy the needs of our guests. We strive to lead the industry in superior customer care.

Thank you again for the kinds words and we look forward to your next stay at the Best Western Convention Center Hotel.