“Absolutely love the W”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Absolutely love the W”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

My husband and I have been going to the W Times Square for years. We now have 3 children (under the age of 9) and still go. The Living Room area is a very happening place with a trendy bar scene but because it is part of the Lobby we are able to sit there and sip our drinks with our kids present. This is a huge plus for us. The rooms are great and the staff members are so helpful and friendly. One time upon arrival our room wasnt ready so they upgraded us...another time my niece (3yrs old) was burning up in the middle of the night with fever and they ran to the store to get her Motrin and other items she needed. The place is just that incredible. The location is also one of the main reasons we go. It is in the heart of all the action!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Dan E, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Hey Laurarpn21,

Thanks for the rave review! It's loyal guests like you who keep our brand top notch. See you soon!

All the best

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

We arrived after a round the world trip previously staying in Hong Kong & New Zealand. One of my son's had become unwell previously and could not fly so was getting the bus down from Canada to meet us. We had prebooked & paid for two Suites but on arrival my son had problems gaining access to the room and had to request for the manager who checked our details and allowed him access, we arrived later that evening.The rooms were disappointing for a 'top class' hotel on Times Square which had cost a fortune due to it being the end of December. They were clean & tidy, my son's room had a small bath & shower but ours only a shower. Furnishings were presentable not particular grand.They were no tea or coffee facilities, we were told we could have requested this on booking out!!! The hotel is ideally situated and great for watching the ball drop at New Year. The staff are friendly and housekeeping is very good. WiFi is expensive and not always efficient. Eating and drinking in the hotel is expensive and there is better places just outside.If you want to be on Time Square this is a great hotel location but the hotels I stayed in in Hong Kong & other places were more comfortable and plushly furnished.

Room Tip: There are no rooms looking onto Time Square so if you book for New Year you won't see the ball d...
Hi KarenGibson_13,

We're so glad you and your family were able to join us for the New Year! Next time you join us you simply need to ask for coffee maker or tea kettle and our Whatever Whenever team will get right on it. Hopefully we'll see your wonderful family again soon!

Adamstown, Maryland
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stay at The W for my 40th birthday (Nov. 2012) with my husband and it was fabulous!! I had a hard time deciding where to stay for this special occasion but I decided on the W because I wanted a unique experience and I wanted to be in the heart of Times Square. I am so glad I went with my gut!! This hotel is so unique! I love the entrance with the water wall!! It makes you feel like you are surrounded by water! I also loved the lobby area!! So chic and sexy!! Our stay was made even better by the Director of Guest Experience, Patrick Armano. I contacted Patrick via email and explained to him that this would be our 1st trip to New York to see a Broadway show and that it was my birthday. He responded the same day and he gave me all the information I could want about how to get from the airport, a list of restaurants and things to do in Time Square. He made our dinner reservations and he just was a God send!! We had a Cool Corner Room and I loved it! Our room faced right on to Time Square and it was awesome! The room was clean and the bed was heavenly!! Oh and the Bliss bath products are to die for! I think the best thing I enjoyed about this hotel is it's location!! You really can not beat it anywhere! It is so close to everything: Braodway shows, shopping, restaurants, even Central Park!! We took a wonderful bicycle tour around the park and it was unforgettable! we got tickets for the David Letterman Show which was great and we saw "Wicked" which was fantastic! I just had a wonderful couple of days and The W made my birthday so special!! Thank you so much for an awesome time and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yokechia
Hi there Yokechia,

We're so happy you chose to spend your special 40th birthday with us! It's always great when we get to celebrate with our guests. Hopefully we see you again soon!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My family of four (two teenagers) stayed 7 nights at the W Hotel Times Square over the December 2012 holidays and had the experience of a lifetime. We had a Fabulous Suite, corner room, on the 53rd Floor, from Dec. 26 to Jan. 2. Very spacious, extremely comfortable, cool vibe. It was the first trip to NYC for our two teenage children, and the W provided outstanding service. Thank you Patrick, Celeste and staff!! If you are looking to be in the heart of the action, this location cannot be beat. We walked to three shows, walked to Central Park, walked to Grand Central Station; took an easy subway ride to Greenwich Village twice; easy subway ride to Battery Park for a harbor cruise; picked up the hop-on hop-off bus tour practically across the street. The Concierge Desk was Johnny-on-the-spot with any assistance. On New Year's Eve day, we watched all afternoon as the throngs gathered below, and we listened to all performers rehearsing on the stage just outside the hotel. We dined New Year's Eve at the Blue Fin inside the hotel and were escorted out at 11:40 p.m. with other restaurant patrons to participate in the countdown mayhem without having to stand 11 hours in the cold (we could not see actual Ball Drop, but it didn't matter). Expensive -- yes, but truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Thank you W Hotel--Times Square!!! Our family will never forget this trip.

Room Tip: High floor, corner suite -- very spacious, quiet, great views.
3 Thank sftravelerjan
Hi sftravelerjan,

We're absolutely thrilled you and your family had such a great New Year with us! Our location truly can't be beaten when it comes to being in the heart of the city. Make sure you think of us for the next family trip to the Big Apple!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Just finished a four night stay at W Times Square. I went for business meetings, my wife came along to visit the museums, and the two of us spent the evenings on the town. We arrived Sunday afternoon and after checking in with a highly professional front desk staff, we headed downstairs to the hotel's seafood restaurant Fin. We both love fresh fish and sushi, and this meal was literally as good as Nobu or other, nice, but certainly higher priced restaurants.

The room was very nice and modern and the elevators are super fast, which is nice. The W's location is perfectly situated between the broadway shows and the mid-town jazz clubs we like (we saw Once and went to Birdland to see Kurt Elling).

Tons of nearby restaurants (we did Havana Central and others) and near to Lincoln Center.

As for my business meetings, most of our clients are in mid-town, so my meetings were never more than a 10 minute walk away.

We plan to stay at the W again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms offer awesome views and are plenty quiet, but you might want a sleep mask if ambient li...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dan E, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 30 March 2013
Hi Rich D,

It's great to hear that you and your wife had such a wonderful time! Our location is definitely one of our greatest assets, but as you said Times Square can be bit bright. Keep us in mind for your next trip to NYC!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Great location, really nice rooms and great service. The restaurant on the ground lever was great as well.

highly recommended. it was also nice to get personal communication from upper management who wanted to make sure that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Hey Tom5595,

Great to hear such positive feedback! We like to pride ourselves on creating a great connection with every guest. Next time you swing by NYC make sure you think of us!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed at the W Times Square for 5 days this month (Jan 5-9) and here are my thoughts.

The positives:

Location - the hotel is literally on the corner of 47th and Broadway, right in the heart of Times Square. Just about anything is within walking distance: Theatres, Restaurant Row, 30 Rock etc.

The Bed - our room (2801) had a really comfortable king size bed

Elevator Mats - in the morning, the mats inside of the elevators say "Good Morning" and in the afternoon they replace them with mats that say "Good Afternoon." Not a big deal, however a nice touch.

The negatives were:

Cleanliness: When my wife and I checked in, the washroom in the room wasn't clean. We found hair on the toilet that didn't belong to us. When we informed that manager, he offered to move us to an other room, however it had a view of the Hudson as opposed to the city, which didn't really work for us. They had their cleaning staff come in again and they did clean it...but the negative feeling never really went away.

TV Remote - I am very well versed when it comes to TVs and their remotes and for the life of me I couldn't get this thing to do anything other than turn the TV on.

Hotel Reception - is on the 7th floor. So when you walk in, there are 3 elevators that can take you to the 7th floor. There are then 3 more elevators that can take you to your floor. Not a huge deal, however it was a bit of a pain having to get off on the 7th floor and having to take another elevator every time I entered or left the hotel.

WiFi / Internet - in the rooms they charge for it. On the 7th floor by reception it is complimentary, however in the rooms there is a fee. Nothing but a cash grab if you ask me. I can stay at a Comfort Inn and get complimentary WiFi - not sure why the W seems to think its ok to charge for it.

In Room Food - very over priced. They charge $7 for a small bottle of water! And the room service prices are just as crazy; something like $27 bucks for bacon and eggs!

Long Distance - I made 2 calls home, NYC to Toronto, each of them were less than 15 minutes each and they dinged me over $50 for each phone call.

Not sure I would stay there again - too many other quality hotels to choose from.

Room Tip: We were in Room 2801
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul M
Thank you for your response we will definitely look into your comments especially in regards to room cleanliness. That is definitely not the type of lasting impression we want you to have and in no way is that up to W standards. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your experience with us and look forward to your next visit. Please contact us and we will insure that you will have a more positive experience.