“Nothing to complain about” 4 of 5 bubbles

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #267 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
ireland
“Nothing to complain about”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed last weekend for a couple of nights , there isn't one thing I could complain about, on arrival before 2 pm we were checked in straight away. Room upgraded to a cool corner room with a view of Broadway from one window and Times Square from the other. All very easy, staff were great, location was great, the atmosphere in the bar after midnight is mental, both nights when we came back it was mental, better fun that any other bar we had been in. Drinks were expensive but that is to be expected,
Check out was seamless and the staff kept luggage until we headed back to the airport
Would go back in a heartbeat, allow there are a few other W hotels in NYC that May also be worth a visit, the hotel in Union square looks great as well

High floor with good views are worth the upgrade if you can get a good price

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback and we are very glad to hear that you had an excellent escape with us! We certainly appreciate your comments regarding the hotel atmosphere and the guest room. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

stayed here with my friends and it was awesome
for youngsters like us great price great location.

3 could easily fit in the room with an extra bed at an additional cost.

service was good.

location was great.

Room Tip: higher the floor the better for great view.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdityaMenon
WGuestServicesTeam, Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for providing us positive feedback. We value our guest's opinions and comments.
We're glad we're able to accommodate your needs during your stay. We hope to see you again in your next stay!
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week (January 2014).

The hotel is very clean, modern and all staff are more than happy to help. We stayed in a 'cool corner room' on the 47th floor. It was perfect, the views were amazing one side looking down on Times Square, the other overlooking skyscrapers and the Hudson River. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was decent.

The bar is noisy in the evenings and always busy but what do you expect. At night times from the room you cannot hear traffic and street noise which is a bonus! I recommend staying on a high floor.

The location couldn't be more perfect it's right near restaurants, shops, the subway and broadway!

Would definitely return. (The room service breakfast is delicious also).

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AHB23
Thank you for your positive response. We are happy to hear that you had a excellent escape with us. Thank you for your comments regarding the room condition and our talents. We're glad we were able to prove you an excellent service and make your stay pleasant. We look forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us for any future reservations!
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Hotel itself is very nice, modern, good sized rooms. They do not have two queen beds option which we typically prefer, but the beds are good quality so we slept well. The bar tends to be quite loud -but if you do not need to talk , you can dance there -which is a plus. Bar waitress overcharged us and we had to request the refund before our departure. The main issue was the final bill -since we had purchased a package through Expedia and nevertheless were presented by full bill from the hotel which we had to pay. Only upon our arrival home and verification of previous payment for lodging through Expedia, we called the hotel and the promised to refund us the money but they were not at all apologetic. I do not believe that should happened in this kind of hotel ever. Thus the 4 point rating.

Room Tip: upper floor have better view, try to get some farther from elevator they tend to be noisy at night
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Martina P
WGuestServicesTeam, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hello and thank you for your honest and balanced feedback in regards to your recent stay with us! I truly appreciate your feedback and have since gladly personally followed up with our team as we are continually reviewing and looking to improve your exprience with us. I was delighted to be able to personally connect with you and I look forward to welcoming you back for many more experiences in future! Anything you need, our team is here for you 24/7.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Perfect location on Times Square so close to all the shops restaurants and theatres. We walked to 5th Avenue just a few blocks away and to Macys. The entrance was stunning as was the reception and bar area. The view from the room was amazing down to Times Sqaure and across to the Hudson River. The room was great, comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackky98
Hello,
Thank you for your positive review. I am glad you enjoyed the hotel and its location as well as our talents. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed at the W for a couple of nights while at meetings in NYC this month. It is in a great location if you are comfortable with some city noise and the bright lights from Times Square (although I find the shades covered most of the light up, and I had a corner room). Check-in was smooth and the room is pretty nice, albeit very dark and clearly showing wear-and-tear (the chaise in my room had cracked leather and the TV only had a couple of clear channels, while the rest were fuzzy and hard to watch). Rooms are manageable and comfortable, overall.

A few contructive comments. Upon entering the floor where my room was located, there were a couple of room service carts with food left out, which always grosses me out. I know this is often because guests don't let dining services know when they are done with their meal before moving the cart out front, but hotels with a high dollar mark like the W need to be better about sending folks around to check for carts more regularly (that cart was still there when I went out an hour later). There was also a housekeeping cart left directly outside the door to my room all night long -- it wasn't in the way, but still leaves a less than great impression when comparing the W to other nice hotels in the area. Secondly, this hotel has two seperate elevator bays for floors 8 and up and the 7th floor lobby leading down to the ground floor. Well, the lobby is so dark and dim (I think the W thinks darkness automatically ups their cool factor), and there are no signs to indicate which elevator bay goes where. So on my first trip back down to the lobby to leave, I got completely disoriented in the (almost) dark and I had to literally ask for directions to get out of the lobby since the other elevator bay to the ground floor looks more like a glass piece of art than an elevator. Ridiculous lack of signage! Fortunately, there was a nice employee in the lobby that pointed out that "I look very confused" and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks, friend. Lastly, and this is quickly becoming a make-it or break-it deal with hotels, the lack of complimentary wi-fi for Starwood members (or any guests, really). This is 2014, and every other hotel I've stayed at lately has offered it. I refuse to pay $20 for 24 hours of wi-fi every again so I can check my email for an hour, and will not stay at another W or Starwood chain until this is changed (I now know to ask this question before booking anything).

If you have similar tastes or concerns when traveling, I'd recommend checking out the Hilton Times Square (has a great boutique feel) or the InterContinental first. Both have equally nice rooms and customer service and will cut you a much better break on wifi (seriously, who pays for internet in 2014 when you are paying $400+ a night for a room??). The W is fine, but to me, is just not up to par with other hotels at the same pricepoint in the area.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to light and noise, ask for a room high up and not facing Times Square. Althou...
Green Features: I didn't see any indication that this hotel has any environmentally-friendly practices. Another reason I prefer the Hilton, although I'm sad to say that since I was really wanting to change my preferred vender to Starwood.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank oliviazdc
Jorge T, General Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Hello and thank you for your honest and balanced feedback in regards to your experience. I truly appreciate your candor as we are always looking to improve your experience with us in future. Rest assured I have since gladly reviewed your comments with our entire team and followed up on your feedback. Thank you once again for taking the time to reach out and I am glad we were able to personally connect - I truly look forward to welcoming you back with us for a true W Experience.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I was traveling for work and stayed at the W. I hadn't stayed here for several years and was worried it would show its age, but my room was in great shape and was a decent size for NYC. The service was excellent; I found the front desk staff to be surprisingly pleasant and accommodating. Even the housekeeping staff was above par. Very pleasant stay. Good job, W New York.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you for your amazing review! It was truly our pleasure to welcome you back with us and we are delighted you had such a great experience once again! We will gladly share your feedback with our entire team and we all look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home.