“Great service, looking forward to planned refurbishments”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #271 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great service, looking forward to planned refurbishments”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here during a week-long trip to NYC. My breakdown is below:

Pros:
- Location: perfect walking distance to tons of stuff in/around Times Square, as well as multiple subway stations
- Customer service: stellar across the board
- Comfortable rooms
- Nice gym
- Great Living Room bar
- Standard feel of the W brand
- Reasonable room rates

Cons:
- Wear and tear: the rooms, carpeting, and specifically the furniture in the Living Room are pretty worn. However, management said plans are in the works for refurbishments
- No pool
- Can be a bit noisy, but your in Times Square, so that has to be expected

Overall we had a good time. The location was great, and you can save a lot of money by walking to restaurants in/around the area vs. eating at the very pricy restaurant on site. A good refurb of the rooms and common areas will go a long way, once completed, to getting this W back to the standards expected by the brand. I'd certainly stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your honest and balanced feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and have since gladly shared your comments with our entire team as we are always looking to improve your experience with us. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back with us soon! Anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to dial 0 for our Whatever/Whenever team and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered! Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My first time in New York, I wanted to treat myself with a great place to stay with a distinctive atmosphere. I was not disappointed!
Even before arriving, walking up Broadway, it was fun to see the impressive building with it's distinctive "W" logo.......a helpful landmark for a first time visitor. The street level entrance foyer is a plunge from the frantic white-water of Times Square into a clear, cool pool. I want my lounge redecorated like that, waterfalls and all! The main foyer on the 7th floor is stylish and chic, and proved a great place to meet up with friends before hitting the town. The reception staff were extremely welcoming, helpful and competent. This also applies to the concierge, who always gave great advice.
My room, a "Cool Corner Room" on the 43rd floor was everything I'd been hoping for. Stylish, modern, minimalist furnishing and decoration very much to my taste, with cool high quality fittings. Yes there's street noise and light form Times Square......I was glad there was. I'd come a long way to experience that and after a busy day it was great to relax above the bustle and yet still feel connected to the Life below. The views were great!
I'd like to mention in particular the courtesy of the cleaning staff. I HATE feeling like I have to get out at a particular time so the room can be cleaned. It was very gratifying to be greeted warmly from the end of the corridor whatever time I emerged and asked if it was convenient to clean my room now? (She also gave good advice as to the need for warmer clothing some days!) The room was always made very clean.
The friendly doorman negotiated me a great deal with a limo to the airport for less than a taxi!
I've only just got back to New Zealand, and based on my enthusiasm for the W, my wife has a trip planned and will certainly be staying in this hotel!

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a corner room facing Times Square!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your amazing review! Our entire team truly appreciates you taking the time to reach out and we have since gladly shared your amazing comments with all our Talent mentioned including the Style and Ambassador teams as your words truly inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back with us soon! Anything you need during future visits, just dial 0 and our Whatever/Whenever team will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered! Thank you once again for your review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to your new home-away-from-home in the Big Apple.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

They did it again. The staff at the W Times Square managed to make our hosting of another international group of visitors for their first time to NYC an absolute dream all around.

There are a lot of hotels in NYC. I'm always partial to Starwood. But when making the best impression really counts, I head straight to the W with our team and clients. And that decision is worth it every time.

Traveling with big groups involves a lot of details, planning, juggling, adjusting, responding, reacting, artistry and a little bit of luck and magic. There is no situation I know of where that "whatever whenever" offering is more welcome and even relied on. These guys go the extra mile for you - all of them from the doormen to the porters to the bar staff, concierge, and managers.

Thank you in particular to Aneta (group booking), Leo (director of Whatever/Whenever), Sal at the front desk and Tim (in the front making every welcome back inviting. On call almost 24/7 too!)

The Subway Global Challenge team and winners LOVE you. Thank you for making the Grand Prize Winners trip to the US - from our 100 country contest - such a special experience. We'll definitely be back!

Jennifer Kushell
CEO, YSN.com
Producers of the Subway Global Challenge

Room Tip: The views are spectacular from all levels I've seen. Looking out on Times Square is totally ico...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Hello Jennifer! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. Our team has since gladly shared your amazing comments during our daily line up as they truly inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay! It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you and your group back with us as we love you guys too! Anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to reach out to any one of our team and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered. We are truly here for you 24/7 and look forward to being a part of many successful events to come. Thank you once again for your rave review and we all look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple!
Newtown, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stay in NYC often, and find that because it's the city the customer service doesn't really have to be amazing. This was the best customer service I've experienced by FAR. From the front desk to the emails from Leo asking how our stay was when we left and handling something we needed. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Brenna! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and have since gladly shared your amazing comments with our entire team as they inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back with us soon! Anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to dial 0 for our Whatever/Whenever team and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered! Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed here during my first trip to NYC, and needless to say, it was amazing. The hotel was beautiful, trendy, and the location was unbeatable. The room was extremely clean, and the service was phenomenal. I would definitely stay here again, even for the location alone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Maggie W
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hello Maggie! Thank you for your wonderful feedback and we truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and have since gladly shared your amazing comments with our entire team as they truly inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back with us soon! Anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to dial 0 for our Whatever/Whenever team and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered. Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple.
NYC
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Entered the hotel and took the first elevator to the check-in desk on the 7th floor. It was 4:30pm and my room wasn't ready. What? I always am understanding if I'm trying to check in at 11am, but at 4:30, this is unusual. I was given a coupon for a free drink at the bar and about 15 minutes later was upgraded to a corner room on the 44th floor. The bar staff was in the middle of a shift change and was ill-prepared to deal with a customer, so drinkless I headed up to my room.

The room itself was typical for NYC in terms of size - a little on the small side - but it was nicely appointed. The bathroom is, again, typically tight, but reasonably accommodating. The bathroom light shines through a translucent panel so if there are two of you and one gets up in the night to use the bathroom, there's no way for that person to do so without light shining into the sleeping space. No bathtub, and while there's a nice big shower head, the water pressure is low so the shower head really doesn't spray outward leaving you hugging the wall to get wet. The bed was clean and comfortable. The cleaning of the overall room was not up to spec. I found a hair in the shower.

The windows seal nicely but aren't well soundproofed, at least not sufficiently to keep out the noise of the Times Square area, which is expectedly excessive at times. The windows open slightly, which is nice if you want real air instead of HVAC air. I looked out at Broadway on one side and at the wall of a residential building across the street with a diagonal view toward the Hudson. The 44th floor is below the tops of most surrounding buildings so there's little in the way of a view.

Not sure when room cleaning takes place ordinarily. On Sunday at 4pm, I exited my room and the maid asked if I wanted my room cleaned. Well, sure, thought you'd forgotten about me. On Monday, I returned from a business meeting around noon and the room still wasn't made up. Now I'm less surprised that my room wasn't ready at 4:30 on check-in.

The lights of Times Square and surroundings are bright. The shades on the windows are good, but the room is still pretty bright at night even with the shades fully closed. Curtains would go a long way to curing this problem. The HVAC system worked and was quiet and not intrusive. Two bathrobes were in the closet. A bedside iPhone player and nice radio were present.

Staff was friendly but there just weren't enough of them to keep up.

--SPG Gold member.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can. Corners are nice but will let in more light and noise.
1 Thank TwinComanche
Hello and thank you for reaching out to us. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience experienced during your most recent visit and we have gladly shared your feedback with our entire team as your honest and balanced feedback is truly appreciated as we are always looking to improve your experience with us. While we are glad we were able to extend complimentary drinks for the initial delay upon your arrival, we have of course shared your comments with our Welcome Desk team in order to improve our procedures for future. In addition, we have gladly shared your feedback in regards to your room as well as we truly value your loyalty to the brand and are always looking to enhance your experience with us. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us and in future, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team during your stay with anything you may need as we are here to assist you 24/7!
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great location, excellent service, trendy ambience... just in the heart of the Big Apple... not the usual big chain hotel...
As soon as you walk out you are in the centre of the life of Times Square and coming back you are in a wonderful cozy cocoon... why asking more?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
WGuestServicesTeam, Guest Relations Manager at W New York - Times Square, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello and thank you for your wonderful feedback! We truly appreciate you taking the time to reach out and have since gladly shared your amazing comments with our entire team as they truly inspire us to continue personalizing each and every guest stay. It was absolutely our pleasure to have you with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back with us soon! Anything you need during future stays, please do not hesitate to dial 0 for our Whatever/Whenever team and we will gladly ensure your every question or request is answered! Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to your home-away-from-home in the Big Apple.