“Poor Service and Depressing Techno Rave Hotel”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #271 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh NC
Reviewed 6 March 2005

My son and I had reservations for 4 nights at the "W" in a "spectacular" room. We arrived at 11:30 am and asked to be placed on a priority check in since we knew we might not be able to check in that early and I informed them we had a 5:30 dinner reservation. ( Check in is 3:00 pm ). I had reserved a non smoking room with 2 double beds 2 months out. The check in clerk said " your room will not be ready until around 2:00pm. We have you in a king size bed "smoking" room. I informed him I had asked for 2 double beds and a non smoking room. He said " Do you have your confirmation that shows proof you had asked for a non-smoking room with 2 double beds ?" I produced my copy of the "W" 's email and it did not state smoking or non-smoking. He said well if you "had" reserved a non-smoking room it would have said so. He said we can move you to a non smoking room tomorrow but you will have to stay in a smoking room tonite. I have never had a desk clerk "question" my integrity and insinutated that I was trying to deceive him !!! This is customer service ? We then spent the next 30 minutes trying to locate a luggage check, since they dont check it for you at the desk. I approached the one person that I saw manning the luggage cart and issuing claim tickets and she said, " Im sorry you will have to wait until I return". She returned 20 minutes later and was mobbed by all the other people waiting in the lobby! Why should it take almost an hour to check your bag? We lfinally checked our bags and went out on the city to have lunch and returned to the hotel at 3:00 pm to find our room not ready. The lobby was filled with about 70 -80 other guests "waiting" for their rooms also. Techno -new wave music blasts 24-7 in the lobby and elevators so much so its very difficult to even hear the check in clerk or concierge. The lobby is one small dark very very loud bar. At 4:15 pm our room was still not ready so I asked to speak to the manager. (It seems they hate when you ask that.) The desk clerk disappeared for about 10 minutes and returned with a reservation for a cheaper room than what I had reserved. I took it. She said that it was a non smoking with 2 double beds and was $289. So at 4:30 pm I finally was able to check in and get dressed for a 5:30 pm dinner reservation. No one offered to show us to our room which is not easy to find given that the corridors walls and ceilings are painted black making it very hard to see where you are going and the room numbers. All weekend we smelled cigarette smoke coming through the adjacent room door and bathroom exhaust. The closet was no more than 2 feet wide ( and this included the ironing bd ) The room was equally small and very dimly lit with no where to open your suit case except the floor. The walls and doors are poor construction. You can hear everything being said in the adjacent room and hallways. The beds are great but what good is that if you cant sleep due to the noise and smell of cigarette smoke ? At check out, they charged me $309 for my room instead of the $289 they had written on my check in card. This is the worst property I have ever stayed in and will never stay in a W hotel anywhere. If this is indicative of the Starwood Properties then I will avoid those too. There are much better and cheaper places in New York that have real "cool" appeal. Try the Chambers Hotel for true cool appeal and an incredible restful sleep and excellent service.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for W New York - Times Square

Reviewed 3 March 2005

Just returned from a three night break in New York staying at the W Hotel Times Square. Fabulous hotel - very buzzy especially at night in the bar on the 7th floor. The hotel was brilliant and the staff could not have been more helpful. The room was a delight - we were on the 33rd floor with a view over part of Times Square and the neon lights. Loved everything about the holiday although our legs were aching with all the walking we did. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be in the centre of Times Square and within walking distances of lots of attractions.

2  Thank GillHarpenden
Reviewed 27 February 2005

My husband and I stayed one night at the W Hotel in Times Square. We are from the area (husband works in Manhattan), so this was more of a simple night away from home for us rather than a "big trip to the Big Apple." The room was clean and the staff was friendly. I particularly liked the Bliss bath and body products, the complimentary cotton bathrobe, and the comfy down comforter. If you're from out of town, this is a great location, as you're certainly in the hubbub of it all. Excellent access to all the major tourist attractions. I would recommend this hotel mostly to the younger folk (under 50), as it was a bit trendy and chic, with dark hallways and low lighting in most areas. However, not a major issue at all.

2  Thank Miro127
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 February 2005

This was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had in New York - and I've stayed around. From the welcome at the entrance to the minute we left, everything was great. The rooms are very nice and the location is perfect. The people were so friendly without being over the top and everytime I saw someone they would say hello and ask how I was. The hotel is very clean and overall a pleasure to stay in.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kingsport, TN
Reviewed 20 February 2005

We stayed at the W December 19-22, 2005, and we LOVED it.

The experience was wonderful from the time we stepped into the front door. The decor was unlike any I have ever seen in a hotel before-very modern and relaxing. Our room was number 3404. I am very picky about hotels, but I felt like this room was clean and well maintained. It had a mirrored headboard that went all the way to the ceiling. The bathroom had a shower (no tub) with a clear glass door. Everything is decorated in shades of gray, silver, and black. It is dark, but not in a bad way. We really loved the room. The only problem was the view. I had requested a room with a view of Broadway, but we could only barely see it from the bottom corner of the window. Most of our view was into the rooms of the hotel next door. The windows can only be opened about 3 inches, so you can't lean your head out to see any better. I would recommend requesting a room number ending in 01 such as 3401, so there would be a good view of Times Square.

The staff was very helpful and friendly the entire time, and the location is wonderful. If you check on different websites and find a rate lower than their site offers they will match that price plus 10%. That saved us quite a bit because it is quite expensive. I would highly recommend this hotel.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, UK
Reviewed 7 February 2005

Stayed here last week - the whole experience from start to finish was pretty flawless! Room was big by Manhattan standards and beautifully furnished - I guarantee you will have the best nights sleep of your life in the huge marshmallow beds! Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel has just the right mix of being fashionable and stylish without being pretentious. Breakfast in the adjoining Blue Fin restaurant is a must. And if you want an easy night of people watching with great food, drink and service, start off with cocktails in the 7th floor lobby bar followed by dinner in the 400 seat Blue Fin restaurant.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 February 2005

I've stayed at the W Times Square twice - once in July, 2004, and a second time in January, 2005. Was very happy both times, and got a great government rate. The front desk staff is very professional and friendly. The rooms are large as NYC goes, and they sample Bliss products, which are fun. The rooms are clean, and the housekeeping staff is vigilant and polite. Concierge quite helpful. There are subway stops all around the hotel, so you can quite easily and quickly get anywhere you might wish to go. There is a 24-hour hot deli right next door, which is great! (Try their breakfast sandwiches - they are wonderful). I agree with the poster who said that this hotel is probably not the best selection for those with children - but this is a great hotel for singles and adults. The bar is hopping! The fitness room is a bit small, but the treadmills and elliptical trainers each have their own tv (although not all were working when we were there), which is a nice diversion. Also, if you become a Starwood Preferred Member (it's free - sign up at the front desk), you can get airline miles, which I use. I will happily stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2005