“Could be better”

W New York - Times Square
Ranked #267 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2005

We stayed for 6 nights at the W Times Square, and though this is purportedly the "flagship" for the W chain, we found it somewhat "dirty" for lack of a better word.
Call me picky, but I don't particularly care to see large brown stains of indeterminate origins on the blinds, and I don't want to see trash beneath the bed. The hotel needs a little more upkeep.
ln the upside, the hotel is in a great central location, and though it is in crazy Time Square, it was remarkably quiet. The lobby area is the typical uber-chic W style with a happening bar scene. The staff was helpful and the concierge was helpful, though they could not get us a reservation at PerSe... (apparently takes an act of God)

• Stayed: December 2004
4  Thank PeckCheck

Minneapolis
Reviewed 28 June 2005

The good: free Bliss products, trendy nightclub scene, quiet hotel for one with Times Sqr location (i'm talking about the street noise), it's where the "beautiful people" stay, friendly staff, cool music.
The bad: Poor quality especially for the price. Stayed several times, each room was worn out. White furniture shows age and dirt. Beds are standard hotel, not the "heavenly beds" of sister Westin brand. Doors are thin, can hear music from hall. Closet door is hallow. Bathroom is made of cheap fixtures. Sliding door and bathroom walls probably came from Ikea, which isn't bad except your paying a luxury hotel price for it. Shower curtain standard dirty hotel issue. Shower tiles standard bathroom tiles, where's the marble or fancy stone? Wall of mirrors in your room is a bit cheesy.
If you need trendy, stay at the Westin Times Sqr, if you want value, stay at the Waldorf Astoria. If you absolutely must stay with all the trendy Europeans visiting NYC, then stay here.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 June 2005

I have stayed at many hotels, up and down the scale... I have to rank this hotel as one of my favorites because it's consistent and the location is convienant (heart of times square, never short of a cab, expensive/cheap food can be found around the corner, starbucks and mcdonalds around the corner, etc).

I typically stay away from modern Ian Schragger type hotels (HATE THEM)... so despite the modern/hip decor at this hotel, I like it because it's a new hotel compared to the other two W hotels on the east side (renovated apartment building). Those rooms are tiny and the fixures are OLD... at this location, it's modern, clean and comfortable. The rooms are comfortably spacey (not large but decent for NY), the beds/comforters always meet expectations, the service is good... the concierage always makes good restaurant recommendations.

The only negative is that the lobby acts as a bar (during the weekends it gets pretty crowded). The music can be loud but it doesn't carry to the room.

• Stayed: December 2004, travelled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2005

Just got back from the W hotel in Times square. The hotel was a very nice hotel and most of the staff was very friendly. There were a couple things we didnt like about the hotel -

when we got there our tv didnt work, and we could not get our door to stay closed. they had to come up and fix both. Not a big deal but just wanted to point them out.

The bathrooms are tiny, no seperation between the toilet and the shower. So very little privacy. The shower door sucked and every time we took a shower the bathroom got water everywhere.

Our main complaint was the rudeness of the bartender in the main bar. The gal kept making our drinks wrong according to the drink menu and when we finally brought it to her attention she became even ruder. At $12.50 a pop, we were not very happy. We had to get the bar manager involved who offered very little except to remake our last drink (we spent $300 at the bar over 3 days which isnt a ton considering the drink prices) The next day i spoke to the hotel manager who was very apolgetic and credited our drinks from the previous night. The bar manager told us the bar was a seperate entity and not part of the hotel, which we really could care less about, we just wanted hassle free service.

The hotel staff was amazing. They were all so nice. The door guys were always so friendly, and the concierge made reservations for us in some of the nicest places. We had a blast.

I worked out every morning in the hotel gym, which was full of basic precor equipment, and had lots of cardio. We had a massage and a facial, the massage was nice, the facial was not so great.

We dropped about $1,000 the whole time we were at the hotel as it was our anniversary and the only complaint we really had was the rudeness of the hotel bar girl with long frizzy hair LOL

There is a great deli next door with cold drinks, great food, and open 24 hours. Also a starbucks about 300 feet from the front door.

There is also a roxy deli about 4 stores down, a planet hollywood with a great bartender (we went there after the w hotel girl was rude to us), and walking distance to some great places.

If you have any questions drop us a line. Also I buy unwanted american air miles if anyone has any.

good luck

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank brucergoldberg
Reviewed 6 June 2005

We enjoyed our stay at the W hotel. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet. It was amazing how quiet the hotel is compared to the noise and action of Times Square. The location was very convienent.

The decor was modern featuring darker colors, which I found quite pleasing (especially after having my senses assaulted by the HONKING and blaring lights outside). The staff was friendly and greeted us each time we left and returned to the hotel. I did not have any problems with the staff as everyone was very accomodating.

I searched long and hard for a hotel within this price range that would offer the convienence and cleanliness. The W is a good place to stay. Upon return I would like to stay in a different area besides Times Square (though it was a good experience as a first time visitor to NYC.) Greenwich Village and SoHo as well as the business district would be a nice place to stay.

Good luck on your travels.

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank ajcharleston
England
Reviewed 3 June 2005

I have just returned having stayed at the W for 5 nights .
Although there were a few teething problems with my requested room , these were soon resolved to our satisfaction. Infact the hotel and staff couldn`t have been more friendly and helpful.
I thought the hotel was excellent value as they let my 17 year old daughter and friend stay in the room with us for free. I booked direct with Starwood using the internet special rate and i would certainly reccomend this hotel if you are looking for something a bit different .
The location is excellent if you like to be in the "hub of it all" .
Credit goes out to all the genuine friendly staff who made out stay a pleasure .

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed 1 June 2005

I will confess, I am a bit of a neat-freak, and going to hotels makes me wary. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about the Starwood hotel chains, and their commitment to excellence. The staff had an attitude, but that is something I can overlook, seeing that they were incredibly busy seeing that it is Times Square (however a smile goes a long way). The lobby was in very good shape, and I was feeling positive about my stay, until I got off the elevator. The stained hallways should have been my first clue. The room was certainly not up to my standards. And by that I mean stained linens, and a hair or two in my shower, which makes me question when they last cleaned it. Perhaps it was just a hair from the cleaning personnel, but I don't care. Next time I think I will stay at a different hotel a bit outside of Times Square. I've heard nice things about the Royalton and The City Club. I think I'll book a room at one of those in the future.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business