“What are you waiting for?”

456 Shanghai Cuisine
Ranked #2,155 of 13,559 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
New York City, New York
“What are you waiting for?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Don't let the sparse decor fool you, this restaurant is a local favorite and has been around for a long time. The original restaurant was located in a different part of Chinatown and was very successful for many years, then it closed and years later the son of the owner decided to re-open it at it's present day location on Mott Street. My friend and I shared "C17" Preserved veg. with soybean and tofu skin, $8.95, it had a wonderful combination of unique flavors and was filled with healthy green vegetables. We also tried "B2" Shanghai (chicken, pork & shrimp) $6.95. Another amazing dish.

• Visited February 2014

• Korean first
Cologne, Germany
“OK food and rush service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were here for dinner on a weekday. The place was almost full when we were there, but we didn't need to wait for a table. We have ordered Xiao Lung Bao, spicy chicken and stir fried broccoli with garlic sauce. The dumpling and spicy chicken were good but the garlic sauce on the broccoli was a bit too sweet. The service was a too rush,they didn't even give you time to stop to drink your tea after meal. The server came to collect the plates once they see they are empty although we still have not finish other dishes. Bill was being stuck to us immediately after they have collected the last plate. We have paid with credit card, they didn't even give us time to sign the bill and wanted to collect it immediately.

Overall, it was a rush meal but price was reasonable.

• Visited February 2014
Dublin
“Great restaurant in Chinatown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

Came here on spec and had a very good meal

Ordered the dumplings, something I wouldn't normally get, but they were delicious! And spring rolls were great, crispy and dry (i.e. not oily) with good veg inside.

The two main dishes were good, with subtle flavours.

Service was good but everything gets whisked away very quickly.

Would recomment

Visited January 2014
Columbus, Ohio
“Yum!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

This was by far the best Chinese food I've ever had! It was amazingly delicious. Try the dumplings and you can't go wrong. When we couldn't decide what to order we told our waiter our likes and dislikes and he ordered for us and I'm so glad that he did. Impeccable service, exceptional food and we got to meet interesting people. Can't beat that. Definitely a clean and nice place.

Visited December 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Dumplings were delicious!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I found this place through the 'The Scoop' app by The New York Times.

The place doesn't look very inviting and it was packed when I showed up on a saturday evening. I had to wait some time before I got a table. So, it's rather popular.

As appetizer I had the juicy pork buns soup dumplings and they were the best I ever tasted. Absolutely great.

After that, I had spicy diced chicken with peanuts. this plate was ok but not wow.

I really enjoyed my dinner, the food was good (and wow for the dumplings!) but the service was so so and the place itself should have a complete overhaul, so it'll become actually a nice place to eat fantastic dumplings!

Since there are a lot of other restaurants I think I'll prefer checking those out, before going back here, if I'll be in the neighbourhood again.

• Visited November 2013