“It was OK”
Review of Sauce

Sauce
Reserve with OpenTable
Sauce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,329 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Lower East Side
Cross street: Allen St
Transit: F train to Second Avenue.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Food was good, but portions were on the small side. Waiters were slow and snooty, but hey, this is NYC. Drinks were pricey.

Adam E, Owner at Sauce, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2016

Dear Jim,

Hello! This is Adam Elzer, the owner of Sauce restaurant. Thank you for your business and feedback. I wanted to reach out to you regarding your review of Sauce, as we believe we can show you a better time than the dining experience you described. I'm very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. I can assure you we have plenty of flavorful options now on our menu that are a good size. I also apologize for the underwhelming service and want to say that what you experienced was not the norm for our staff. We are now under new management and would love for you to come in for another meal for two people on us and get a chance to have you write a better review for us. Please let me know if we can set that up for you. Thank you! Sincerely,

Adam

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This place is the bomb.. Gourmet cooked Italian dinner with a home made price tag. I mean the food is outstanding and the prices for one of NYC hottest new neighborhoods is very fair. The polenta plank for two is a must. The Braciole is melt in your mouth awesome. There drinks are very innovating and the staff are a bunch of Pro's. This is my secret spot when I want to treat guest from out of town and not break the bank.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Wow! I'm very shocked at the ratings of this place!!!!! Well my family and I drove from Philly to NY to have dinner for my brother's graduation. I must admit the trip was not planned but we figured we shouldn't have a problem finding a restaurant in NY. My brother was in the mood for Greek cuisine. However we ended up at Sauce, since the Greek restaurant didn't take any more reservations for that night. Anyway to make a long story short, I was not pleased by Sauce food or presentation. I ordered a Salmon with mash potatoes and garden salad. The salmon was rubbery, the mash potatoes looked and tasted like box mash potatoes. It was very griddy. They couldn't even finish blending in the powder! Also they put what taste like cilantro sauce on top of the mash potatoes, I guess to give it taste but it made it worst. The salad was just a bunch of raw spinach and lettuce mixed. It looked like it was just thrown on my plate. Usually restaurants give the salad a little presentation on your plate. I thought it was just me but my mom and brother were also disappointed in their meal. My mom ordered the same meal I ordered and my brother ordered a Chicken parmesan. He believed that the sauce they used was spaghetti sauce from the can and his chicken was burned. Naturally, I would've complained but the restaurant was quite busy and my time was limited. This was my first and will be the last time I eat from this restaurant. It was definitely a horrible interpretation of Italian American food!

1  Thank MiSarah305
Adam E, Owner at Sauce, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2016

Hello! This is Adam Elzer, the owner of Sauce restaurant. Thank you for your business and feedback. I wanted to reach out to you regarding your review of Sauce, as we believe we can show you a better time than the dining experience you described. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your bad experience with us. I can assure you that we prepare each dish with the utmost care and attentiveness and that the experience you had with our food was not the norm. Our salmon is now one of our most popular and favorite dishes, along with the chicken parmigiana. We are now under new management and if you are in town again we would love for you to come in for another meal for two people on us and get a chance to have you write a better review for us. Please let me know if we can set that up for you. Thank you! Sincerely,

Adam

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We were looking for somewhere close to our hotel for a special meal on our last night in NYC.

After looking at some reviews nearby came up with sauce, was a nice hot day and they had all the windows, doors open and some seating outside (didnt expect that in May).

The tables outside were a little close together, perhaps to close to comfort, the couple next to us were trying to have the most civilised break up I have ever heard, talk about let each down gently, just wanted to reach over and say, guys its over, but i digress.

being dangerously close to the table next door aside, the food here was great (much better than the italian we went to in Little Italy), the staff were very good (lovely waitress with some amazing tattoo's but i digress once again) and couldnt think of a better way to have our last meal in NYC.

starters and main courses were great, desserts were a little lacking, we walked to the factory around the block, but would certainly return here again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We started out with the pecorino kale salad. It was nothing short of awesome. I love kale and never had it in a salad before. I can't wait to try this one at home.

We both got pastas. And we both went for specials. The wild mushroom paparadelle in a brown butter and sage sauce was perfect! The homemade noodles, the crispy sage... Fabulous! My husband got the rigatoni 'Mare' - a red sauce of mussels and calamari. Devine!!!

After the pastas we shared the bolitto misto and a side of meatballs. The meatballs were absolutely amazing, best I've ever had.

Desserts are yummy - we had the panna cotta and the chocolate cake. The panna cotta was drenched in chocolate. Insanely good!

Not only is the food here fabulous but the service is top notch. Our waitress Tess was great!

1  Thank Clare C