“Great spot for relaxation and good food”
Review of Harlem Tavern

Harlem Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Harlem Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,283 of 14,531 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Harlem
Cross street: 116th St
Transit: Take the B or C Train to 116th street
Description: Exactly what our neighborhood needs! A neighborhood bar and grille that's kid friendly(early ;) ) with amazing food, wine, beer, cocktails and atmosphere.
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Was in the area and was a guest at this restaurant by someone who is a frequent diner at this restaurant. It did not disappoint. The staff was courteous and we were seated right away. The salad that I ordered was excellent and so was the appetizer. Overall, was quite pleased with the service and the food and would definitely go back again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I live in the area and visited this place for the first time about two months ago for drinks with friends. Front of the house staff didn't make the best impression from the get go - not pleasant and forget about common courtesy... we had a few drinks and ended up going to another place for dinner.

I returned to this place again two weeks ago for drinks with friends to give it another try. The hostess was so rude my friend got upset and we decided to leave before we even sat down and went to Harlem Food Bar instead. She acted like she didn't want to be there.

One thing is to play around with efficient sitting arrangements to benefit the restaurant when it's busy and another to make a customer feel satisfied.

To Harlem Tavern Management: It would be nice to see your staff trained how to be courteous and interact with customers in a professional manner.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

First, this place was really hopping for business. Granted it was both Father's Day AND World Cup, but I've a feeling it's usually like this...at least on beautiful weekends like we were blessed with this year. In any event, I had the summer salad, and I was really pleased with all the different components it had...the shrimp had just enought kick, and the blends of savory/crunchy veggies with a few sweet strawberries was perfect...esp. chased down with a nice, zippy Bloody Mary. Everyone, from the reception to the wait staff were pleasant and accommodating. It was a pleasure.

The only "gotcha" might be the noise level. While the live Jazz was good, added to the size of the crowd, hearing/conversing was nearly impossible without shouting.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I've been to Harlem Tavern many times, but it just seems better in the Summer. Not sure if they switch the cooks during that time or the staff is happier?????
The best food to get here is ANY of their burgers. The sweet potato fries are pretty good too (crispy and not soggy). The lamb burger is my faaavorite! Everything else is just not worth it in my book. Stick with the burgers and drinks and you'll have a nice time.
The brunch menu needs a little upgrading, come on we're in Harlem! Spice it up!
The jazz tends to get a little too loud during brunch as well. I love the idea, but I can't hear the conversation at my table.
The concierges at the door are soooo much more friendlier than the servers. I've been there where I saw the server only when he took my order and again for the check. The outdoor seating is very nice and cool.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This place is hopping! We got there around 7pm on a Thursday and by 8pm most of the tables were gone.
They have lots of TVs if you want to watch a game and there is a large outdoor patio to enjoy on warm nights.
The food is good, the servers are attentive and the prices are pretty average.
It does get loud in here, but that is a part of the bustling atmosphere.