“Takes you to another place.”
Review of The Out NYC

The Out NYC
Ranked #253 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 21 April 2012

You are in the middle of NYC but you feel the vibes from Miami and other faraway places as well. The interior is luxurious, the staff more than friendly and the air makes you feel like a VIP.

Room Tip: If you party all night choose room 208.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Out NYC

Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed at the OUT NYC during the week - Tuesday and Wednesday nights. The stay was very enjoyable. At the time, the hotel has been open for 1 month. The room (204N) was comfortable. The bed is probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept on in a while. The tv (which is web based) did not work when turned on. The attendant came to the room and quickly adjusted the situation. I enjoyed my stay. The only issue, the common area can be loud. The hotel does provide ear plugs. Another guest found it necessary to chat endlessly on his mobile. Possibly the OUT can highly suggest talking in the hotel room or designating a mobile chat AREA away from the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, it may be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank metuken
Reviewed 19 April 2012

First impressions of this brand new hotel were great. Location good, design fantastic, and very helpful and genuinely nice staff. Our room....again nicely designed albeit compact, and overlooking a central court yard which seemed nice. We arrived on a Friday night, and after a long journey, decided to take it easy on our first night after a late dinner. Unfortunately our experience took a nose-dive all too very quickly.

It all started when we returned to our room that evening and the base from XL could be heard clearly. We'd requested a 'quiet' room, and were allocated a room towards the back of the hotel and presumed we'd be relatively noise free. Uh-uh...it wasn't just the base from downstairs...it was also the music being played in the courtyard. At 1am we could take no more and called reception asking if the music normally played all night in the courtyard, to which they politely and efficiently apologised for and turned off. Time for some sleep possibly, whilst the base from XL continued through our mattress? Uh-uh indeed...there was a seemingly endless chain of very loud, drunken guests returning to their rooms throughout the evening...and we are talking till 4.30am just after XL closes. It is so loud that the other guests could quite literally be in your room with you. Nice. At one stage, there was a group of 10 or so in the court yard screaming and yelling at the top of their voices. Sure...it sounded like they were having fun, but at 2am and showing zero consideration for fellow guests we were, quite frankly, getting rather pissed. There is CCTV throughout this hotel, and the night staff couldn't have missed this unless blind or possibly in XL themselves??

Quite probably just teething problems, but the carpets were washed directly out the front of our door between 5pm - 9pm on a Saturday evening...perhaps a peak-time one would expect for a hotel?

And finally, the construction of the 'bunk-style' rooms on the ground floor was very loud and frustrating on top of 'everything else'. Although the construction will, of course, be over one day, the noise from XL on the ground floor where these bunk-rooms are located would be tolerable in only two ways...being at the club itself or at least a block away.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank review_h0tel
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Exceptional customer service, gorgeous, spacious rooms and a plethora of serene outdoor space!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Where to start with this hotel...? As soon as you enter you know this is a special place, and the staff knows it, too. Their attitude and attention to detail makes it obvious they love working there. Their standard rooms would be deluxe rooms at any other hotel, at well below the price that many mediocre hotels like to charge. The business center is convenient and free of charge. They have a great gym that is open 24 hours, a spa, jacuzzi, the works. Gay and straight alike stayed here during my short stay. It's hard to find boutique and affordable anywhere, much less in New York. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Keith F, Director of Sales at The Out NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Sandrine,

Thank you so much for your resounding review of THE OUT NYC! It is always a pleasure to hear that we have not only met but exceeded our guests expecations.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Keith Frey

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at THE OUT NYC for an extended weekend and loved it. The place opened only a about month ago, so I felt I was the first person to ever sleep in the super cozy beds. The room was very nicely designed, very clean, and offered everything that I would ask for. There is not much more to be said about it. Flawless! The real difference comes with the overall hotel experience. Almost all rooms have a window into one of the three courtyards and each courtyard has a different innovative design for various activities. I experienced a wonderful cocktail party in one of them and loved the atmosphere. It's hard to believe that this oasis is in the center of Manhattan! I was told that as soon as the restaurant in the hotel opens, there will be outdoor barbeques, cocktail hours, movie screenings, etc. I can only imagine how great it will feel to come from a long day at work with a boring business dinner, then finding like-minded people for a night cap and nice chat. Also, the spa area is quite amazing. The highlight are two hot tubs in a glass pavilion within one of the courtyards. They are just perfect for post-working hours or on a Sunday after a long night of clubbing. Talking about clubbing: XL Nightclub is located in the same building and clearly inspires long nights! OMG, I had so much fun there! Really large, amazing energy, great sound, very handsome guys, friendly bar staff, nice design. In general, the staff was incredibly friendly and passionate about working there. I thought I was able to see in the employees' eyes that they are actually really proud to work in a "straight-friendly" place and come to work "as they are." Summary: with the summer coming shortly, the restaurant opening in a few weeks, and being 100% operational very soon, this is clearly a fantastic choice and very reasonably priced for New York City. (For those with a smartphone or iPad who also use my favorite app: I loved the "14 feet away!")

Room Tip: If you don't like clubbing, but rather read a book and go to bed early on a Friday night, contac...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Nathan,

We are so thrilled to hear of your fantastic stay with us! It's a joy to see guests fully experience and enjoy the communal spaces such as the Great Lawn, and Spa deck. Very happy to hear you were able to make it to one of our weekly cocktail parties as well!

Addtionally, we would like to say thank you for the resounding review and positive comments of the resort and XL Nightclub!

All the best to you, and we look forward to welcoming you at your next stay with us here at THE OUT NYC!

Keith Frey

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I vacillate between a poor & average rating for this hotel. I had a singularly bad experience there, but my optimistic nature compels me to believe that it was a fluke...but others should beware about room safety & the disparity of customer service here. I really wanted to LOVE it because it advertised itself as "straight friendly"...which it very much IS. The guy at the front desk (I wish I had his name) was outstanding. Very professional, friendly, efficient. Loved him! The entrance to the hotel is very modern, & while some of it is still under construction, it was incredibly clean. The rounded,walls are like a smooth concrete with lighting along the bottom, so its a little SS Enterprise, but its cool. There are two outdoor courtyards, where the walls are lined with a plastic plant designed to look like ivy or boxwood, & there are some chaise lounge chairs there for sitting. It was nice, & the windows in the rooms overlook the courtyard. As for the rooms, I've read here that they are huge, but my take is that they are average sized...though the bathroom was really large. So large in fact that the counter space around the sink could have been a lot bigger, which would have been nice, as there was not enough room to accomodate two people's toiletries. I thought the mirror along the wall inside the shower area a little odd, but hey, maybe some people like looking at themselves in the shower. In the sleeping room too the mirror was placed over the headboard of the bed, which is also a little awkward. If your partner is using the bathroom mirror, you have to be on the bed to use the mirror in the other room...it'd have been nice if there was a mirror on one of the side walls, or on the wall where the tv was. Speaking of the tv...the one in our room worked sporadically. There was a loose connection or some strange setting that had to be "juuuust right" in order for it to work. We had to call maintenance to come in to figure it out. If you want a very quiet room, do not book S246. I swear the nightclub next door is just on the other side of the wall, and at night we could hear the bass as if it were in the room with us. I swear the wall was vibrating with the bass. Didn't bother us, but sound sleepers should choose another room.

There was a mini bar in the room, but omg! the prices (which I know is pretty much my reaction everywhere). Don't do mini bars! Bring your own treats from the outside. Breakfast in the studio room is minimal...absolutely lame if you're on a low carb diet, but thats hotel continental breakfasts for you. There was a granola type cereal, some yogurts, lemon water, coffee, teas, espresso ( I think thats what it was), some fresh fruit (apples, oranges, berries), muffins & sweet breads. Note to staff: some protein bars or shakes would have been nice to add for those who go low carb.

Now I shall tell you our story, & leave it to you to decide how you would rate the hotel: I was just in NYC for an overnight visit, & my brother had been in the hotel for 2 days before I arrived. He's had an uneventful trip up until that point (with the exception of the faulty tv..but he's not big on tv anyway, so he dealt with it). He was in NYC on business (goes maybe twice a year) & I was visiting, I go to NYC once in a blue moon. On the morning after my arrival, we got up early to go do some shopping, we caught a cab about a block down from the hotel, ran our errands & then got back to the hotel about 9:30. I had a train to catch at 11:00 (only one train daily to my destination, so it was important that I not miss it). We get to the room, but our key doesn't work. Ok, go to the front desk, the cutie patootie there does something & says, try it now. We go back to the room...no luck. Doesn't work. My brother goes back to the front desk to report it again. The guy does something with the key again, & tells my brother to try it again. Ok, but still it doesn't work. 3rd trip to the front desk & the attendant gives my brother a NEW key to try. That doesn't work. Now we start to watch the clock because we're on a deadline. We ask one of the cleaning people to try their master key, that doesn't work. My brother goes back to the front desk & returns about 15 minutes later with some sort of manager in tow, who tries his key, which doesn't work. He's apologetic, & talks on the walkie talkie to maintenance about how important it is that we get in the room asap. He hangs with us for awhile, apologizes a couple of times. The maintenance guy shows up, they talk amongst themselves, try another key, & then they both kind of wander off...we don't know where they went or when they'd be back. Up until now we've been pretty cool about it, but when they disappeared, we started to feel anxious about the time. A maintenance worker comes by & my brother stops him to ask whats going on, & he says, "they have to reprogram the lock, its going to be a while." A while?! what does that mean? We have to go! Now we're watching the clock, & I'm making backup plans in my head. My brother is now beginning to get steamed. About 5 minutes later, the head (I think) maintenance guy comes back, barely speaks to us & fiddles with the lock & a machine with what looks like a USB cord attached to it. When my brother explains our sense of urgency & frustration, the guy actually smiled & laughs. We do not find this at all funny, we've been waiting for help now maybe 35 minutes at least. That laugh sent my bro over the edge, & he suggested they break a window to get us in since the reprogramming wasn't working. I had to catch a train, & now he was late for work...this was really not cool. So the maintenance guy gets kind of nervous, calls that disappearing manager guy to come back, & then he tries something which really disturbed me, but no one else seemed to be bothered by it. He pressed in & pushed up one of the windows that we were sure had been locked (for safety's sake) & was easily able to quietly & quickly break into the room by crawling through the window. Ok, so we got in, which was our biggest objective so we didn't harp on the obvious safety issue. The manager...called in by maintenance to soothe my brother's ruffled feathers came back...apologized briefly & was like, "oh, well you're in, so all's well." to which my brother complained about the maintenance guy's attitude, the fact that it took so long to get in, that the mgr & the maint. guy had disappeared earlier without telling us how long they expected to be gone or what they were going to do. Now granted, my brother was upset, but it was a great opportunity for this manager to turn a bad situation into a positive one. He could have done so much...not that we wanted freebies, but he could have at least listened, admitted their mistakes & at the very least offered to facilitate our transportation to our destinations...but no, he kind of sputtered for a minute & faded away with the maintenance guy, acting like WE were out of line. It was the worst kind of customer service I'd seen in a long time. So we pack up our stuff really quickly (we've got 1/2 hour to get to Penn Station & my train), & go to the front desk to check out. A new front desk guy comes out to help us & innocently asks, "how was your stay?" to which my brother told him the sorry story (granted its still fresh & now we're late, so he's p.o'd.)...but THIS guy was awesome! I wish I had his name...he listened patiently, asked questions, indicated repeatedly how he understood how frustrating it must have been. He was terrific. He then comp'd my brother one night of his stay & all mini bar purchases that were made (yes, in the middle of the night some might succumb to the temptation of a $4.00 bottled water & $8.00 pack of M&Ms). Then he had a valet run out & hail us a cab right out in front. This guy was superb. He should run the joint. He & the other front desk guy who greeted us were among the best hotel staff I've ever seen.

So it was a complicated overnight stay, with positives & negatives...but for me, the situation with the locked door & opening a window to break into the room really left a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, the rooms were incredibly clean...its brand new. Yes, the location is nice, some staff were outstanding, but would I stay there again? I don't think so. Your experience might be very different...I'm sure not all the locks get jammed like that.

Room Tip: Stay away from S246 if you're a light sleeper...the rooms on that side of the hotel are right ne...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends