“Great Stay”

The Out NYC
Shawinigan, Canada
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This hotel reached our expectations.The room is really nice and clean. The staff is very helpful and always smiling. The restaurant is really good and the ambiance is very good too. I would definitely stay again on my next trip to NYC.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Overall an excellent hotel. We stayed in a suite for 7 days - clean and comfortable. We enjoyed having the courtyard to the front and had a view of the back lawn area. Bathroom was fab and the air con was well needed as we staying during a hot week.

Housekeeping staff were very friendly - clean towels everyday and bedding changed when request.
Location wise, we liked the location. 2 blocks from the Hudson and the other direction 2 blocks from Time Square. Excellent restaurants nearby on 9th Ave.

We went to the weekely meet and greet which was hosted by Joey (events) and Stephen (GM) - this was a great opportunity to meet with hotel staff and fellow guests. Would recommend this!
The Spa facilities were awesome! a piece of tranquility in the middle of the busy city and a great way to unwind after walking around NYC!

As with anything, not all perfect...just a few comments...tea/coffee making facilities in the room would have been good, we didn't really interact with the front desk apart from check-in and check-out but on both occasions didn't find them very friendly (although everyone else was great). We were not too keen on the breakfast choices but that may be personal taste.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Again, a home-away-from-home. My fourth mini-vaca / biz bundling at The OUT / NYC hotel was comforting in the growing mutual familiarity between staff & this guest. All the while, evidence of progressive client-based focus of new services and amenities were in play all around. Please feel free to read my 3 previous reviews of this gem of a hotel, as I want to avoid repetition... each stay adds to the cumulative holistic experience. This urban resort takes guests' opinions seriously and heeds suggestions and ideas carefully. To wit: I am pleased to be able to say it was my bocce suggestion which led to the new more-suited-to-the-space bean bag toss on the tier in the 'Lawn' courtyard ! I had occasion to walk the property with Charles Katz in early June and I pointed out a few little logistical items from a guest's point of view, in both sleep-share and rooms...to receptive ears. I was quite eager to suggest my 'drive-in movie' under the stars nights on a screen in the same Lawn area... EGAD ! ...Charles smiled, said the screen was already on order, and announced 80's films would be a staple ! ...of course, I mentioned popcorn and few basic staples, such as Twizzlers for snacks, and will be surprised if that all doesn't happen...also, sun-bathing and tub-side beverages will soon be more readily available when an underused storage closet will soon become a half-door beverage station off the 'Bamboo Garden' courtyard... Incidentally, the two outdoor spaces had seemed under-utilized and searching for identities in some measure on my previous trips... on this foray, the spiffy lounge-y furniture from the Bamboo garden had been moved to the more logical Lawn Courtyard... the Bamboo Garden is still lounge-y, but also more conducive to the burgeoning local private-event scene that seems ever more frequent...there is a shade canopy now which makes the space more versatile, as well...but, here's the frosting on the cupcake--no--the little white icing SQUIGGLE on the frosting on the cupcake: two rooms are becoming...are you ready?........ dog-friendly!!!!! these two rooms are perfectly situated with their own private outdoor terrace type space, there will be pet doors installed in the doors 'twixt the room and terrace, and there are theme features such as a classic dog house and faux FIRE HYDRANTS set in the middle of zones where there will be pet-specific silicone absorbent 'relief' pads...for when the walk outside just won't do... Honestly, the rare reviews I see which take issue with attitude and indifference to service baffle me...I suggest they give it another try, and have meaningful dialogue with senior staff about any negative experiences... I will keep coming back to the OUT / NYC time after time...and I am VERY picky ! .... it's my home when I'm in the city that never sleeps.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Calvin A
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

It was a chance find. What a gem within NY. Perfect location to Hell's Kitchen area, and walking distance to great restaurants and bars. The best coffee shop in NYC is across the street. The staff were very helpful and quickly resolved an issue I had with the TV.

Room Tip: Watch the happy hour events if you want a room opposite the hot tubs - can be noisy and crowded but...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel itself was quite nice, location wise, it's not too far from the subway but there's not much around the hotel but it's convenient to all the tourist attractions like Times Square. The hotel is comfortable and clean, the outdoors was nice, with a nice pool and hot tub and outdoors seating area but the staff were quite rude though and not particularly friendly.

They gave me a room that was so noisy due to the fan on the roof apparentlythat I couldn't sleep properly then I had to call them 3 times and they said, oh, we can't fix it cos it's something on the roof that they can't do anything about. They can only switch the room the next day for me since it's all full tonight. I was like fine. However, the next day, they didn't switch my rooms! I was so annoyed, the person forgot to log in the request. When I complained, the front desk staff was so rude towards me, like it was my fault for not telling them about the problem and they have to go out of their way to change my room. I called them 3 times and they never responded with an answer!!!! I was just annoyed that I had to chase them up and I get this attitude when it's not even my fault. The front desk staff was like, you're leaving Friday anyway so does it really matter. Yes it does because I can't sleep and I have two more nights there!!!!

The hotel is fine, just make sure you get a room where it's quiet and if you can deal with the rude staff!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We loved this hotel, we stayed in the Superior King Room and it was fantastic. Rooms are lovely and modern, the bed is the comfiest bed I have ever slept in and so big! Bathroom was spotless and modern with a lovely shower. We were on second floor so had courtyard and hot tubs right outside our room which was lovely and peaceful, a perfect, serene way to relax after a busy day in the city.

Close to Times Square (about a 10 minute walk) and even closer to nearest subway station. Saturday night there was slight noise from the club, however not enough to keep us awake and there was no noise the other two nights. The noise did not affect our trip whatsoever. Staff were lovely and friendly and were really helpful.

We would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband and I had a great, 4-night stay at The Out. We booked it through Hotwire or Expedia without knowing the theme--it's a gay resort that's straight-friendly. I've never heard of a hotel with that designation and was glad that it was straight-friendly since the room was non-refundable. My only fear was that we might feel less than welcome since we aren't exactly the clients the hotel is trying to attract. We were very comfortable, had a great time, and loved the modern, contemporary look of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable and the lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel all smelled great.
The location is great for tourists: near Times Square but away from the noise and crowds, near Restaurant Row (for adventurous diners), close to Port Authority (for those who are comfortable with the subways.
The things I liked the least were: The nightclub is definitely noisy. We asked for a quiet room and got one (3rd floor, opposite end of the hotel--with a terrible view of an interior walkway--but the view didn't matter too much). Even with our quiet room, though, once the music started we could hear and feel the bass. That was just a minor annoyance for us but would probably really bother other people. The only other thing I'd comment on was the bathroom lighting. It just wasn't the best light for putting on makeup.
Overall, it was a great place for a great price and I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you're sensitive to noise, bring ear plugs because when the nightclub gets hopping, it's...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple