“A little gem, very close to Affinia 50 Hotel”
Review of Respite - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
Transit: Near 2nd & 3rd Avenue bus lines. Subway Lines Lexington Av/53 St (E, M)51 St (4, 6, 6X)
London, United Kingdom
“A little gem, very close to Affinia 50 Hotel”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We chose to eat at Respite because it was very near our hotel but we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the atmosphere. We thought that eating locally was a compromise, but it certainly didn't turn out to be. Respite is only a small place. It's cosy and intimate, and the food is packed full of interesting and unusual flavours. I had the scallop starter, which was tiny but delicious. My main was fish, which was perhaps a little heavy on the fresh ginger but still very good. Portion sizes aren't huge but luckily that meant I had room for the taster desert menu, which was heavenly.

• Visited April 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“An excellent dining experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

A colleague and I recently dined at Respite in New York City while on a business trip. Our experience was excellent. The food, which I would characterize as continental, was delicious. The service was of the nature that you didn't need to ask for anything, they just showed up at the right time. The wine list was interesting and we were given a wine of higher price when our first choice was unavailable. The front room with the bar seemed to be noisy but in the back room, where we ate, it was easy to have a conversation at a normal tone of voice. We walked so I can't speak to parking.

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia
“An undiscovered gem!”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I went to Respite last night based on the recommendation of a friend of mine who had eaten here earlier.

We ate at this small restaurant that apparently has been in business for the past 16 months. It had limited seating to 30 people. It was clean and comfortable. In general there was a younger crowd eating there (Late 20's into 30's). The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The menu was very interesting. We ate from the price fixed menu ($35.00 per person plus a bottle of wine $38.00). I had a wonderful Tuna tartar that was seasoned beautifully. (A little sweetness, a little heat, a bit of crunch with peanut) It was complex from both a texture and taste perspective. I followed that up with a Skate Wing Schnitzel. Again perfectly cooked, tasty with complex flavors and textures. My desert was Chocolate Lava Cake with a small scoop of ice cream with dabs of cumquat/cooked orange rind. Again very nice.

My wife who has a severe tree nut allergy had the three Beat salad which I also tasted. It was very good and a Chicken that was moist and cooked beautifully with a wonderful sauce. The staff and Chef accommodated her concern about her allergy and made her comfortable with her choices.

The only change or suggestion I would make to the restaurant would be to serve either some bread or breadsticks with the meal.

The owner is a young man who makes his way around the restaurant making sure everyone is having a good time. His presence was nice but not intrusive. I could see the Chef looking out into the dining area to see how people are enjoying there meals.

We were given complimentary glasses of a very nice Port. We had a true and great dining experience, we felt comfortable and at ease with the food and the staff.

At the end of the meal I mentioned to the owner that he really needed to compliment the Chef on our meal. The next thin I knew the Chef was at our table we had a pleasant conversation and mentioned how talented he was.

This place is an undiscovered gem in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. I will be going back!!!

They are located at 247 East 50th Street, [--]

• Visited January 2012
paris, france
“Gastronomie for everyone”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I've been to Respite twice now, and both times were stunning. The chef and the team are simply incredible artists, and they can bring together flavors in such unique ways. There are a couple of options for ordering: a la carte or tasting menu. I've ordered both ways, and my favorite is the tasting menu. One of the most memorable dishes was the scallop ceviche. But it was all incredible. Highly recommend, and much better than several Michelin starred restaurants that I've visited.

• Visited December 2011