“Decent food, lackluster service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 2nd & 3rd Avenues
Transit: Near 2nd & 3rd Avenue bus lines. Subway Lines Lexington Av/53 St (E, M)51 St (4, 6, 6X)
Madison, Wisconsin
“Decent food, lackluster service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

The food is, for the most part, quite good. The uni risotto displayed no evidence of its namesake uni, but the accompanying lobster tempura was great (really, how couldn't it be?). The suckling pig, while somewhat dry at times, was paired with bits of crackled skin that made the dish. Unfortunately the service doesn't come close to matching the skills of the kitchen, seeming disjointed and amateur. Water glasses went unfilled for extended periods (most of the meal, actually). We waited forever for the bill, only to finally be told (when we got the attention of someone who passed us hoping to not be seen) that the printer was broken. Then we waited some more, until someone finally scribbled a bill on a piece of paper just like the old days. It's not a bad place, but was definitely the most disappointing dinner of our four nights in NYC.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“sublime food in a casual setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

Though the place has a neighborhood feel it is worth a special trip from anywhere in the city. We ordered several meat dishes (oxtail with marrow, lamb, and foie gras), all of which had a melt-in-your mouth texture and subtle flavoring. The bar menu offered a wide range of creative cocktails, along with clever finger-food type dishes. Our meal overall was delicious, rivaling the best restaurants in the city. In fact, the chef trained at Per Se, French Laundry and El Bulli, and the influence of this training is evident in the quality of the dishes. Also, the informal atmosphere makes the food even more enjoyable. Nothing fussy or precious about this place. Not to be missed if you are in NYC!

• Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A little gem, very close to Affinia 50 Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We chose to eat at Respite because it was very near our hotel but we were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the atmosphere. We thought that eating locally was a compromise, but it certainly didn't turn out to be. Respite is only a small place. It's cosy and intimate, and the food is packed full of interesting and unusual flavours. I had the scallop starter, which was tiny but delicious. My main was fish, which was perhaps a little heavy on the fresh ginger but still very good. Portion sizes aren't huge but luckily that meant I had room for the taster desert menu, which was heavenly.

• Visited April 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

A colleague and I recently dined at Respite in New York City while on a business trip. Our experience was excellent. The food, which I would characterize as continental, was delicious. The service was of the nature that you didn't need to ask for anything, they just showed up at the right time. The wine list was interesting and we were given a wine of higher price when our first choice was unavailable. The front room with the bar seemed to be noisy but in the back room, where we ate, it was easy to have a conversation at a normal tone of voice. We walked so I can't speak to parking.

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia
“An undiscovered gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I went to Respite last night based on the recommendation of a friend of mine who had eaten here earlier.

We ate at this small restaurant that apparently has been in business for the past 16 months. It had limited seating to 30 people. It was clean and comfortable. In general there was a younger crowd eating there (Late 20's into 30's). The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The menu was very interesting. We ate from the price fixed menu ($35.00 per person plus a bottle of wine $38.00). I had a wonderful Tuna tartar that was seasoned beautifully. (A little sweetness, a little heat, a bit of crunch with peanut) It was complex from both a texture and taste perspective. I followed that up with a Skate Wing Schnitzel. Again perfectly cooked, tasty with complex flavors and textures. My desert was Chocolate Lava Cake with a small scoop of ice cream with dabs of cumquat/cooked orange rind. Again very nice.

My wife who has a severe tree nut allergy had the three Beat salad which I also tasted. It was very good and a Chicken that was moist and cooked beautifully with a wonderful sauce. The staff and Chef accommodated her concern about her allergy and made her comfortable with her choices.

The only change or suggestion I would make to the restaurant would be to serve either some bread or breadsticks with the meal.

The owner is a young man who makes his way around the restaurant making sure everyone is having a good time. His presence was nice but not intrusive. I could see the Chef looking out into the dining area to see how people are enjoying there meals.

We were given complimentary glasses of a very nice Port. We had a true and great dining experience, we felt comfortable and at ease with the food and the staff.

At the end of the meal I mentioned to the owner that he really needed to compliment the Chef on our meal. The next thin I knew the Chef was at our table we had a pleasant conversation and mentioned how talented he was.

This place is an undiscovered gem in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. I will be going back!!!

They are located at 247 East 50th Street, [--]