I recently had to travel to N.Y. to enroll my son at Columbia University. A friend of mine booked this hotel because it was close and seemed convenient so a booking was made. When he arrived in the morning he was informed that he could not check in until 2:00 P.M. This was no problem, he was told that they would hold their bags and to return after 2:00 to check in. He returned at 3:30 P.M. and tried to check in. I accompanied him to the hotel and this is what happened.
We were told that their computers were down and that it would be anywhere from 4:40 P.M. to 7:00 P.M. before he could expect to get checked in. We asked if there might be a way to ask maid services which rooms might be ready as he was only going to be there overnight. We were told that this was not possible, and we were asked to sit in the lobby and wait until the maids shift ended at 7:00 P.M. if the computers did not come up. The reason for this was not really explained we were just told to wait or we could just get another room somewhere else.
We tried to impart to the registration girl that we had hoped to get into the room at "check in time" (2:00 P.M.) and the fact that it was now 4:00 in the afternoon and he would be checking out by 8:00 A.M. the next morning. We were informed that they had 80 rooms and that she had no way of knowing which rooms were ready and therefore she could not let us into any room until either "the computers come back up (or) the maids give them room list at 7:00 P.M.
I have to say this is without a doubt, a very BAD CHOICE if you need to stay near Columbia University, do not choose this hotel. I only made it as far as registration but I have to say this it smelled pretty bad upon entry and I did not expect it to get any better. We ended up asking our friend to change hotels and they ended up at the ALOFT just up the street a ways.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A great and affordable place to stay in New York City for travelers and students, as well as the perfect solution to all short and long term housing.The Morningside Inn is in the heart of New York City's vibrant Upper Westside - Morningside Heights. So close to Columbia and Barnard, the music and theological colleges, as well as the magnificent Cathedral St. John the Divine. The Hudson River Greenway and Riverside Park are steps from our door. The hotel is housed in a 6-story, elevator pre-war building with the old world charm of that era. All rooms are fresh and have been decorated in comfortable style. Excellent citywide bus and subway transportation are at Broadway, and the city M60 bus takes our guests from and to LaGuardia Airport directly for one Metrocard fare. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Morningside Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Morningside Hotel New York City
- Morningside New York City
- Morningside Inn New York