“Good place to stay in NYC”
Review of Morningside Inn

Morningside Inn
Ranked #437 of 466 Hotels in New York City

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Worst hotel ever. After 2 days I started to get red spots all over me, and soon it started to itch like c r a z y! If you do not want 92 (true story) bedbug bites, you should stay far away from this place.

The manager, Patrick, promised us before we left that he at least would pay our dry cleaning bill (and ointment against the itching), since we had to laundry all our clothes in 60+ degrees celsius before entering our apartment at home. (Expensive!!)
He answered our first e-mail that he would compensate us, but then nothing happened and after 3 more e-mails with no response we gave up.

Now we want to warn others not to do the same mistake as we did.

We never saw the bedbugs in the room or the mattress, but our bags was on the floor near the bed, and when we came home we saw them in the bag.
And the itching continued for days.

Please, stay away from this place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Weiha
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
this customer came to me complaining about a rash he has on his arms, he believe it to be bed bugs we examine the room and this claim was unfounded. they wanted to be compensated for this unfounded claim there was no blood or spots on our white sheets, he warn me that if I do not refund him for his entire stay he would write up a bad review on Trip advisor to hurt my establishment. I did answer ALL of his emails but he was not happy with the response that I was writing to him. I was even nice enough to offer any reimbursement of any monies he had to spend on medicine. even though bed bugs claim was unfounded in Morningside Inn
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 February 2014

October 2013 we booked 7 nights (November) by budgetplaces.com at the Morningside Inn in New York City. We paid budgetplaces.com 99,14 Euro in advance for one night. On arrival on 9th. November the room we were given was not in accordance with the specifications in our reservation.
We informed the manager that the room did not meet our expectations, but apparently it was not possible to have the room we had originally booked. In order to be given another more suitable room it was necessary to pay a surcharge to which we consented having no other option and paid for the seven nights.
When we had finally got to our room we became aware that the 99,14 euros we had already paid to the booking site had not been deducted from the bill. We immediately informed the manager of this oversight and asked for the mistake to be rectified. However he unfortunately became very annoyed and informed us that he had given us a good price for the new room. The money we had paid in advance was in his own words “a fee to get the room for the price we paid”. It was impossible to have any further discussion on the matter due to the verbal aggression of the manager Patrick Arroyo. In view of which we decided not to ruin our holiday but to deal with the matter at a later date.

Room Tip: Be Aware when you book this hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Patriek2014
Patrick A, Manager at Morningside Inn, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
How was I rude to this guest, they booked through a third party and Engrande was the one who charge these guest a fee to book at the Morningside Inn I just explain to the guest what exactly what they was paying for, they did not agree with the FACTS so they decide to say I was rude very disturbing I even upgraded these guest to a better room

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

morningside inn
PROS: near subway (110th), walking distance to central park (3 blocks), clean towels and sheets, nearby grocery,restaurants,etc.

CONS: we were transferred from a room (facing the street) since the room was under maintenace and front desk officer was not aware (duh!) to a room (facing the wall of another building).no working tv,fan (no a/c,was ok since the weather was still cold); internet connection was poor even when your in the front desk; no shampoo; no tea making facility in the room (as per advertise in budgetplaces.com); common kitchen was useless since no pots,utensils, etc. to be used by the guests.; the bed was not cushioned enough, u can feel the springs; walls are too thin, u can hear footsteps, closing doors, shower running, flushing toilets,etc!

Here is the copy of the reservation details made through budgetplaces.com
1 superior double room Double bed/s, Private bathroom, Kitchen (access to shared kitchen), Telephone, TV, Wi-Fi, Coffee / tea making facilities, Air conditioning, Heating, Hairdryer.

I spoke to Patrick (manager), about my concerns, he said that there was an on-going repair in the building and that's why there is no signal on the tv. But why the heck they have their tv on the reception?! About the kettle at least for the room, he promised to have it available when we get back, as usual empty promise. I got tired already and just decided not talk to the receptionist or any1 about the lack of facilities.
One more thing, since there was no A/C in the room, we opted to open the window, unfortunately, everyday some one smokes.So,we had to close it again.

Point is, if you just want to sleep, this place was ok. Other than that, don't expect any more.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank anenat
Clinton, Maryland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I liked the fact that it was cheap because it was a last minute trip but, we called 3 times for wash clothes and ended up with hand towels, the noise from other people checking in was so loud it woke me up out of my sleep, I called because when I got back to my room it smelled like cigarette smoke and the front desk said oh I don't know anything about that, the heat wasn't that good but the window didn't lock either so it was very cold at times, and as I was leaving out one of the front desk clerks just starred opposed to saying having a good day or hello or whatever. I tried to look at the brighter side but it was hard.

Room Tip: make the room as if you was staying there,
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

5 Thank Belinda S
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 13 February 2014

In comparatio with New York Hotels and Hostel This is quite cheap and not bad, is close to the metro station which let you be in the city center in 15 minutes,
The are is relax and quiet, with some bars and restaurant aroun.
Is a good option if you don´t wanna spend a lot of money for accomodation and you want a decent place

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends