“Will return again” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #287 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Carbon Hill, AL
“Will return again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was my first time in NYC. The location of this hotel was awesome. It was between 5th and 6th Ave. and one block from Times Square. Close to the subway, Rockefella Center, Central Park. We stayed in the two bedroom suite. We had plenty of room for 4 people. The beds were comfortable. We stayed in 311 and was close to the elevator, but it never bothered us. We stayed on the back side and had no view. The room was very clean. Everyone was friendly. The front desk was not very helpful on directions and seemed confused at anything you ask them. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again. Just do your homework on the area before you go so will know how to get around the area. I recommend Google Earth. That helped me a lot.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed here one night, on our way home from a work conference. Wanted somewhere convenient to go see a show w/out the normal $200-$300 price tag, and this was perfect! Nothing too fancy, but just enough for a comfortable night, seconds away from Broadway. We went to see the Radio Center Christmas Spectacular, and it was minutes away, along with the Rockefeller Center and its wonderful Christmas tree. Decent continental breakfast included, and a small, functional, gym. Parking is almost directly across the street, but if you miss it (like we did), there is similar parking right around the block on 47th St, for $30/night (hotel validation required).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Isabela, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We visited NYC for the first time in Thanksgiving (from the 24th through the 30th). We arrived early in Sunday about 7:30am, we wanted to drop off our luggage and get some breakfast, for our surprise the employee said, that our room was ready and we could get in, he even suggested that we can get breakfast at the hotel. This was very nice after been traveling all night. We made a reservation for a suite with 2 bedrooms (one with a king size and one with a queen size bed, room 311), it was very clean, both bedroom were spacious, and the bathroom was large enough. Every day our room was well cleaned. It's true that the breakfast offered doesn't have much variety, but it was what we expected for the price, the breakfast area was very clean and well stocked: cereals, oatmeal packages, donuts, broiled eggs, yogurt, coffee, hot chocolate, fresh fruits, variety of breads and bagels, juice, milk.... what else can you ask for the price??? The hotel was very busy that week, but we didn't have to wait much for the elevators as other reviews said
The saturday of our departure we left the luggage in store so we can take a last walk in the city, we came back in time to get going to the airport and the service car the concierge got us was already there waiting for us.
We had a great experience, good price, and very close to all the main attractions of NYC.

Room Tip: We got a room at the back of the hotel, it was very quiet even though we were in the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bright_paradise
Juneau, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We paid $400 for a room that we could not get too. The elevator was broken and Charles at the front desk was awful. He told us we could climb seven floors to our room with our luggage or we could wait. No assistance or help was offered. Never stay here.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank GemDoll
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear GemDoll,
Thank you for the review. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you faced. When you arrived, we were having trouble with the elevator and we could not let anyone ride it until someone came to fix it for safety reasons. At the time of your arrival the staff was helping another guest, but would have been happy to help you as soon as they were free. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels
Lake Macquarie, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Loved the location as we could walk all around Times Square from the hotel. The concierge was helpful with trip planning. We had adjoining king bed and queen bed rooms as we were travelling with our daughter. The beds were comfortable and room sizes Ok but we didn't realise we would only have 1 bathroom. It was in the Queen room which was our daughters also instead of in our King room and it had a glass door which was annoying as light shone through while you were in bed if someone went in there. The room included breakfast but it was the same every day with very small variety and extremely bland. I certainly wouldn't pay for it. Management should really take a look at this. If you want location though it's great for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Skepitcal but what a surprise, easy check in room clean no frill, location great for time square, good breakfast included in price, evening bar in rest. great rest. across the street CECI, guest relations was not up to pair this was a disappointment, when went to go to airport three different employees gave three different suggestions for serive to the airport, so for the price I would do again but be a little knowledge about NYC

Room Tip: remember no frills but clean
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Claymont, Delaware
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Dear travelers,

The worst customer service experience of my life. I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life. I was scheduled to stay one night at "the hotel of times square" on 12/10/13, however, when I woke up on 12/10/13 it was snowing very heavy, this was at 7am. I said to myself, I better call and let them know I would not be able to make it to the snow storm. I live in Northern Delaware about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to NYC. When I called I was told by the front desk, it was too late to cancel my reservation and get a refund. I voiced my displeasure due to the fact there was a snowstorm going on. I was then told if my room was re-rented I would not be charged. I again voiced my displeasure with this, since there was no guarantee they would rent my room. I asked to speak to the manager who told me the exact same thing. I said, is there any one else I can speak with. I was given another phone number and told to ask for the reservation manager which I did. That person also told me the same thing. Feeling as though I had no where else to go, I sent an email to the of hotel describing my situation and being unhappy about it. Well here's where it gets bad. I received a response to my email from the GM of the hotel Sunnie Chandrawattie. It read, sorry sir, it is too late to cancel your reservation and you will be charged. She did not mention anything about not being charged if my room was re-rented. So now i'm even more upset and call the GM Sunnie. She asked me who I spoke with and I told her the front desk, the manager and the reservation manager all told me I would not be charged if my room was re-rented. She said that's not possible because that is not the hotel policy and they would not say that. So I was told by 3 different people I wouldn't be charged if my room was re-rented. She called me a liar and kept repeating the hotel cancellation policy. To make a long story short, she continued to be rude and unhelpful and I got no where. I checked my credit card statement to see if I had been charged. Indeed I had, and it was for the wrong amount in there favor. I tried to send an email to the CEO Steve Klein(Applecore Hotels). I'm not sure if it reached him or not as I have not received a response yet. I'm quite sure my words above cannot convey the rude, obnoxious people I was attempting to assist me in my time of need. Not only will I never even consider staying at one of their properties ever again. I will make sure every person I ever come across to do the same. In this day and age, I didn't think experiences like this were still possible.

Incredibly unhappy

Mark Houser

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank mark h
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear mark h,
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry you had to cancel your stay at the last minute due to severe weather. Our cancellation policy states that reservations must be cancelled no later than 3PM EST the day before arrival otherwise the guest will be charged a no show fee equal to one night’s stay. It does not state anywhere in our policy that if the room can be re-rented that we will not charge the fee. Our staff is well aware of this policy, but we will inform them of this again. It is not an uncommon policy and the majority of hotels in New York City and across the country have the same or similar policies. Nevertheless, we apologize for any inconvenience and any misinformation you received.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels