“Great Location”

The Hotel at Times Square
Ranked #292 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 27 August 2014

The hotel was relatively cheap for it's location, only 2 blocks away from Times Square. It also made travel around the city easy, because it was near the Times Square subway stop. I was surprised with the minimal noise at night too, considering the location right near the hustle and bustle of Times Square.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are the quietest.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Explorer_98712
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Explorer_98712,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you had a great time in New York City. We do keep our rates very competitive and our guests always receive a great value.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (3,692)

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is super easy to get to and very central, walking distance from times square, central park, MOMA, Rockafellaa and empire state building (if you are ready to walk obviously, but it is so nice to walk in the city). hotel serves breakfast which was great, not many hotels provide breafast. Room was nice, only thing is we had to change rooms after the first night since they were over booked which was a bit of a hassle but they took care of all our luggage. Staff were helpful, plus wifi had great service in our room. Will defenitely be going again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth G
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Ruth G,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great time in New York City. We apologize for any inconvenience you faced when you had to switch rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you next time.
Liz form Apple Core Hotels

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This place was great. I came in and checked in and everything went fantastic. Nirey (sorry if I spelled her name wrong) was very pleasant and smooth. The room was fantastic very clean the bed was comfortable. Check out was great also and they held our bags while we went out for breakfast. The staff and hotel deserve praise for their hard work and friendliness.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rickey B

Dear Rickey B,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay and found the employees to be helpful and friendly. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

This hotel is in a perfect location near Times Square (2 minute walk) and 5th avenue (2 minute walk). It has a welcoming outside and lobby with decently friendly staff that were helpful. They let us check our bags in early as we arrived in New York before check in. Our room was nice and cozy, very large comfortable bed with a nice t.v and a modern bathroom. However our room had no fridge which was odd and an awful view. We kept our blinds shut all weekend we stayed as our view was literally looking into a fire escape and a 2 foot deep alley. Other than the view, the wifi is fast and free, decent breakfast with bagels, waffles, pancakes, coffee/tea/milk/juice and yogurt all complimentary which was nice. Overall a good place to stay if you're on a budget as it was a very good price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura G

Dear Laura G,
Thank you for your review. We’re sorry about the lack of fridge and the view. We will be installing micro-fridges in some, but not all of the rooms soon. Unfortunately, not all of our rooms have views of the street because of the proximity of surrounding buildings. We apologize for the inconvenience. You can always request a room with a street view for any future stays, though we cannot guarantee it.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Myself and a friend stayed here for our trip to New York. Upon arrival I was asked if I would like to pay now or at the end of my stay. I replied the end as my friend was obviously splitting half of the bill. Anyway they needed my card for security purposes... The day after I noticed my account was missing the total of my quote of the hotel bill, I disputed this with the hotel and they said they hadn't charged me but just 'blocked' the money out of my account. But I was not told this would happen... Then I was told that was it it wouldn't come out again. Much to my horror when I checked my account upon my arrival home IT HAD INDEED COME OUT AGAIN!! I rang my bank they told me they had taken payment twice because international transactions can take longer they got impatient and took the full amount out again. I have been told by my bank the second payment will come back to me in 10 days!!! Until then looks like it's my savings that are to the rescue! Be wary of giving this hotel your card upon arrival if you do not intend to pay until you depart. Very very very disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Spanielloverr
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel late July 2014 - no fuss, good service, convenient located
Pros: room is very clean, breakfast is decent, quiet [no street noise], 1 block away from Time Squares, good access to subway, theaters
Cons: room is small (expected in New York & who goes to NY to stay in the room!), no view (claustrophobic might have an issue); the safe installed too high (vertical challenge people likes me might forget things in the safe); electrical outlets are not well placed (we forgot our camera charger in the room (no pictures for the rest of the trip; however, after contacting the hotel upon our return, the hotel had it on their lost and found and I soon be reunited with my charger); extra for parking (expected so no problem)

Room Tip: our room was on a higher floor - no street noise [well insulated] - more likely to hear your neighbo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nguyenla2

Dear nguyenla2,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms are about average for Manhattan hotel rooms, though some may be a bit smaller or larger. Not all of our rooms have views, but some of them do if they are facing the front of the hotel. We always try to accommodate requests for such rooms but cannot guarantee it.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is my fourth stay at this hotel and I have to say that while some things are still great, there are a few not-so-great things. This has changed my rating from a previous 4 stars to now 2.5 stars. Unfortunately, TA does not have 2.5 stars so I have chosen 2.

The good:

Location is fantastic. I was in NY on business and my office was a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Times Square is also close but far enough away that you can still have a good night's sleep and you can also avoid the Square if walking amid six squillion tourists meandering aimlessly doesn't appeal to you.

Rooms are good. I had a queen room and it was a decent size for NYC. Two people stayed in that room and we had no space issues. The room was quiet and fairly well maintained. I hated the position of the safe (I had to climb on a chair whenever I wanted to access it) but everything else was fine. I was in the room for 8 nights and had no issues with it.

Price is right for Times Square. NYC is not a cheap city for accommodation and this is on the "cheaper" end of the scale. For where it is located, anyway.

Breakfast is included and while it is mainly carbs, carbs and more carbs (and boiled eggs that taste terrible), I found a bagel with cream cheese and a banana was fine for me each morning on the way to work. It gets busy and chaotic so the earlier you eat the better. The selection could be better - please don't expect much - but it is included in the room rate and not many hotels do that so it is better than nothing.

WiFi is included and available everywhere. I found it fast enough so it was good.

The bad:

The elevators are slow and even when you call for them they do not stop at your floor sometimes. This is extremely frustrating. I tried to use the stairs but some flights were blocked by the painter so I had to use the elevator. Annoying if you are on a higher floor.

The worst:

The hotel placed a hold on my card for the entire stay and then they charged me at the end. Fine, but they still have not released the hold and the person I spoke to about it denies that they still have the hold but my bank confirmed they do. The hold is for over £1000 so it is a good job I am not living hand to mouth because I would be in strife if I was. The bank confirmed the hold will automatically drop off but when it does it will be two weeks since the hold was placed. That is incredibly frustrating and it is the first time this has happened to me. I work in a bank so I understand about hold versus actual charge and why the hold is necessary but they have now charged me and I do not have access to over £1000 of my own money until two weeks after it was first on hold. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Based on the above, this is no longer my hotel of choice in NYC. I will look elsewhere. It seems fourth time was unlucky for me and anyway it's time for a change of scenery!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Krinkles28
applecorehotelsstaff, Marketing & E-Commerce Associate at The Hotel at Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Krinkles28,
Thank you for your honest review and repeated patronage. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you faced during and after your stay. We have always placed a hold on all cards upon check-in which is released. Though we have released the hold on your card, it may take your bank a while to recognize this since your bank is overseas. Again, we wish to apologize for the inconvenience.
We hope you will give us another chance on any future trips to New York City. As you know, we offer an excellent value and competitive rates. We are also planning to renovate the guestrooms in the next year. We hope to welcome you again soon.