“Fantastic. Moving. Great music.”
Review of Once - A New Musical - CLOSED

Once - A New Musical
More attraction details
Owner description: Once is the celebrated new musical based on the Academy Award-winning film. It tells the story of an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant drawn together by their shared love of music. Over the course of one fateful week, their unexpected friendship and collaboration evolves into a powerful but complicated romance, heightened by the raw emotion of the songs they create together. Brought to the stage by an award-winning team of visionary artists and featuring an ensemble cast of gifted actor/musicians, once is a musical celebration of life and love: thrilling in its originality, daring in its honesty... and unforgettable in every way.
Reviewed 22 April 2015 via mobile

I saw it twice and loved it! The music was original and beautiful. The voices are outstanding and the characters are strong and well played.
It's tugs at your heartstrings!

Reviewed 5 April 2015

This musical was very entertaining and we enjoyed it. Confusing was that two of our tickets online were 24.00 each and the other two were 129.00 each?? We were only two rows apart? Anyway, we would have paid 129.00 each for all four. At first it sounded like a Cape Breton Kitchen party with fiddle music and that was disturbing, even though we live there. I was beginning to regret our decision. (Hate Cape Breton fiddle music). The musical started and we fell in love with the characters, the music and the story. I saw both men and women crying all around us and I was drawn to a tear or two. Sure nobody will win an academy award, but that's not what it's all about, the actors were great and received a loud, deserving, standing ovation. My only complaint were the rude yappy people behind us who were entirely incapable of shutting up throughout the show, or the people whose cell phones were ringing. Would recommend the show to anyone.

1  Thank jackaranda1
Reviewed 25 March 2015

I really enjoyed the music in this show, I have never seen the movie, but the most unique thing about this show was it had an intimate feeling, like an off broadway production. The actors never leave the stage because when they are not part of the scene then they are sitting on a chair off to the side playing an instrument. It is amazing to see such talent acting, singing, and playing instruments the whole show. This has closed on broadway, but it is touring around the country and I thought it would be good to still review it for those who are thinking of seeing it in a city near them. The acting was good, but to me the show was made by the music.

Reviewed 23 March 2015

Our only hope is that everyone take the time to read all reviews before throwing your money away. My wife and I just love Musicals and being Irish and after a week of Irish Festivites in Toronto we were definitely in the mood to see a good Irish Based Musical?.What a disappointment ! It has to be the worst show we have ever gone to.When we arrived in the Theatre on the Balcony it was empty -there was uproaring music on stage prior to opening and so we thought --this is going to be great? What a let down! The phony Irish accents -the lousy singing voices and a total deadbeat story . There was loud music with no rhythm and NO melody . We purchased tickets that were half price (so to speak) but they still cost over $153.00 for both.Disappointing and totally boring and it was a lousy way to spend a Sunday Afternoon ..PLEASE do not purchase tickets for this .If you get them for $5.00 each You have spent too much.. Hamilton On.

5  Thank HRHKRH
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 March 2015

Get there early to be invited onstage into an Irish Pub and be served a nice whiskey or beer with the cast. Return to your seat warmed with your beverage and the feeling of connection to the audience and cast you sipped with. The curtain rises on a story of star crossed lovers, each hoping for that ONCE in a lifetime chance at the right relationship. Fathers and sons; men and women; music all around A spellbinding performance. YOU WILL WANT TO SEE ONCE TWICE.