“stairs”
Review of Colonial House Inn

Colonial House Inn
Ranked #6 of 79 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

we found the room just to small for the two of us and our two bags, we had come off a cruise so the bags were large had 20 kg of cloths in each them. To get to our room we had to carry them up and down 50 steps if we had been on the next floor up it would have been 65 steps. I asked for some help from the house Frau who checked us in and got a load of [--] she also went on about the key and handing it back in every time we went out as it would take 24 hours to replace and cost us if we lost it I am 69 and my wife is 65 and we have never been talked to like this by any hotel staff in all our travels together. come again I do not think so.

Gerry

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gerry191255

Reviewed 24 May 2013

On the upside: excellent location in Chelsea near 8th Avenue and subway. Most staff is nice and helpful.
Slight reductions for badly designed fixtures in our room. We took a suite, for 3 adults. Space was good, but the bathroom is just as badly designed and built as one can imagine. Enough space, but a tiny toilet where a person with legs and knees can hardly sit down, not to mention stand up. No need for such stingy space allocation. The bathtub is black... A really bad idea in a hotel room. The shower is in the main space of the bathroom, without curtain or even a floor separation, so that one can't use it without irrigating everything. Not to mention the insufficient drainage: the water will tend to spread to the bedroom, since the gradient is insufficient to motivate water to go for the hole where it should go. No towel hangers near the wash stand either. Enough already?
From looking into some other rooms we got the impression that normal rooms are small but adequate. This may be an ideal place for single travelers.

Room Tip: Don't take the basement suite
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Helmut S
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I already knew this area of town, having stayed there about 12 years ago... and I've been coming to New York for a number of years now.

The Colonial House Inn is a great B&B New York town house in the Chelsea district - which has very leafy streets and trendy avenues. The Inn itself is a friendly place to stay, with a really community feel. I was made very welcome from the start and had no issues to speak of. My room was on the top floor - 3 flights of stairs - which to be fair, could be quite a hike for some people... but it does say that on the website. There is no elevator. Some rooms have private bathrooms, whilst others (cheaper) have a shared bathroom on each hallway. I never had a problem getting a shower or waiting for the bathroom! The Inn has a nice quirky, arty feel. Whilst I was there, there was a broad range of folk staying, some couples, a few business people and the Inn is also Gay friendly - well, being in Chelsea, that goes without saying.
Breakfast is included, and is comprehensive. There are cereals, Bagels, bread, muffins, eggs, etc. Tea, Coffee and juice - or you could make your own, there is a large refrigerator and a microwave. There is also a roof terrace, which is decked and has loungers.

Chelsea is a great neighbourhood - there are lots of delis, coffee shops, restaurants, trendy shops, etc. all the way up and down 8th & 9th Aves. Even Google has also opened it's offices down on 8th Ave!

There is good Subway service at 23rd & 8th, and 14th & 8th. You can take the A or E trains direct from JFK. Chelsea is also only a 5/10 min walk from The Empire State Building, Flat Iron district or MSG. Down town, you can walk right into the West Village or Greenwich Village very easily.

All in all - I would highly recommend the Colonial House Inn to anyone, and I'm sure I'll stay there again soon.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank ColHawksworth
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Another wonderful stay at Colonial, we love the small economy rooms, gives us more $$$ for the big city sights & pleasures. They have coffee & tea available 24 hours & I had a hot cocoa before bedtime.

The Summer Roof top deck is fantastic!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank billdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed here several nights in March. The B&B is on a quiet block of a tree-lined Chelsea Street. The location is great, with the subway less than a block away, Chelsea Market, the Meatpacking District, Union Square etc within easy walking distance. I had a superior room with an attached bathroom, but the hall bathrooms for the standard rooms were cleaned several times a day and looked to be a good option for the budget-conscious traveler. The room was small but clean and nicely decorated with original art pieces. The staff was helpful and friendly and the atmosphere is a lot more personal and homey than you can find in any of the large hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank PARoadtripper
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Staying at the Colonial House Inn for 6 nights was wonderful!. I was there with my daugher for a couple of nights and then as single traveler for rest of stay. I couldn't have ask for a better location to explore the city. The room was very clean and comfortable and staff always friendly and helpful. As this was my first visit to the city I feel very fortunate to have found such a wonderful bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank winegirl77
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This bed and breakfast was suggested by a conference I was going to in New York put near F.I.T. From when I arrived, they were so super friendly, awesome and interested in making sure I knew how great my surroundings were. The cost/savings was so amazing that I stayed an extra 3 days in NY. The guests staying in the B+B were equally great during the breakfasts times. They were families, business people, and just good people. There were even people that were locals, displaced by the hurricane that were all super. The location, I have to admit I fell in love with. Close to the gallery district, subway system, Chelsea High Line, Market, and it just continued. Definitely, I'll always check to see if accommodations are available here first because it's my new New York home.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business