“Hyatt Place NYC: Room for 5” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place New York Midtown South

Hyatt Place New York Midtown South
Ranked #149 of 467 Hotels in New York City
NY Metro area
“Hyatt Place NYC: Room for 5”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Three teens (2 are small adults really) plus my husband and myself were comfortable in a Hyatt Place deluxe room. The rate was about $200 higher than what I would normally pay but we saved at least half that thanks to the included breakfast. The room was above average but not luxurious.

The location is ideal, the staff friendly and view from our room was outstanding - Empire State Building during the holidays.

Disclosure: I publish TravelingMom.com and this room was provided to me to review. I hope you find it candid and helpful

Room Tip: If you have a large family check out the deluxe rooms instead of getting 2 rooms. Pullout sofa slept...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Brian T, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear travelingmomcom,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Hyatt Place Midtown South on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay, and the deluxe room was able to accommodate your family. Thank you for the comments concerning our staff.

We hope you had the chance to see and do everything you wanted to in New York. If not, we'll be here the next time you are in the Big Apple.

Brian Tindall, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

The location on 36th Ave. between 5th and 6th is ideal with an MTA station a couple of blocks away. It can be a bit difficult to hail a cab quickly in front of the hotel. The hotel is very clean, the staff competent (but certainly not overly friendly) and the rooms a decent size for Manhattan. The internet worked well. Basic cable essentially, no DirecTV selection of multiple channels. I wanted to watch the Daily Show but no Comedy Central in the package. A small quibble, I know.

The only significant problem I had here is that most of the time during my six days here the water from the sink faucet was a milky color. The engineer couldn't solve it and brought a couple of bottles of mineral water. The front desk was made aware of the problem and offered to change rooms but I didn't want to repack and unpack. They should have restocked my room with bottled water every day but did not. When I checked out and told the front desk they shouldn't book anyone else in the room (1808) until the water problem is fixed the clerk said she wasn't aware there was a problem but rang the engineer immediately. So there's certainly a lack of coordination, especially for a guest with a significant number of Hyatt stays (OK, I'm platinum but not diamond level).

Even though I was on a high floor, I could hear people yelling on the street from time to time. But midtown Manhattan is not Big Sur.

All that said, I would probably not object to staying here again. If you get a competitive rate it's probably one of the best hotel bargains in New York City.

Room Tip: Higher floors will be quieter but check the quality of the faucet's water before you unpack!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear 7J1AIL,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor.

In response to your comment, sometimes the water pressure causes micro air bubbles to form, and this can give the impression you experienced with the tap water.

We're glad you would choose to stay with us again, and we look forward to your next visit.

Until next time,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

My apartment was having some work done to it, so I moved down the street to this hotel for a few days and was very impressed with how clean it was for being so cheap. Paying 140 dollars in manhattan for a decent room like the one I had is unheard of. I am very picky when it comes to hotels, so trust me when I say it's great- especially for the cheap rate.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Brian T, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear UESNYC646,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad we could be your home away from home for a couple of days while work was being done in your apartment. It says a lot that you found our accommodations clean and affordable. We appreciate the compliments.

We look forward to your next visit.

Until next time,

Rockland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is one of the newer hotels in Manhattan and is in a very busy location just outside Herald Square. But near Macy's and the subway helps as well. But the staff was wonderful - every time you walked into the hotel or off of the elevator, the lobby team was always welcoming you and asking about your day. That makes all the difference in my mind. I will be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MarkWoodmanGM
Brian T, General Manager at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear MarkWoodmanGM,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed the hotel and found the location to be convenient. Thank you for mentioning the staff. We have an amazing team, and we're glad they made you fell welcomed.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

All the best,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

What a great little hotel! I've never stayed in a Hyatt Place, but this was a fantastic first experience. We found a cheap rate via Hyatt's Best Rate Guarantee program for a Friday on a holiday weekend and were consistently impressed. Very friendly staff at check-in in an inviting and cozy lobby.

The room was fantastic, very clean and nicely decorated. The designers made good use of the smaller spaces in this building and makes it feel more roomy. The amenities of the room were great, from the fridge to the specific TV ports to connect your own electronics. Very convenient!

Our complimentary breakfast was also a nice perk, with a great spread of dishes to chose from, all pretty delicious. It was great to finish breakfast then walk right outside to Herald Square. The hotel's location was swell, close to major attractions and all major subway lines. It's right off the main avenue too, so it's not particularly loud.

We encountered no issues at this wonderful little hotel and would recommend it across the boards!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here the last two time we visited the city I doubt we will ever stay anywhere else. The staff here went above and beyond what we have experienced in the past. Breakfast was good never waited in a long line rooms very clean and comfortable. The location was only blocks away from Penn station and never had a problem getting a cab. Really enjoyed our stay here highly recomend it,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed in this location when it first opened and I will say it is greatly improved across the board, especially the service. The staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. The rooms are on the small side but adequate and nicely appointed. I lacked for nothing. Our room had two double beds, a flat screen TV and a mini fridge. We were there for business and pleasure. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was free and area was clean. The staff was very attentive at breakfast and kept things clean. We stayed for three nights and had consistent service. The location is excellent. We were close to the train, shopping, and Time Square. Housekeeping was very accommodating when I needed them to come back at a different time. There is a bar area and and ordering of meals available. I didn't use this service. You can also purchase snacks and drinks in the lobby. There is also a great place next door to get food too. There is a work out room which is adequate. It didn't have a TV but the machines were nice and it was clean and secure.

Room Tip: We had a great view of the Empire State Building from the 20th floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business