“Reasonable quality, Reasonable price”

Hyatt Place New York Midtown South
Ranked #152 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Reasonable quality, Reasonable price”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Good solid hotel in mid-town. Price is good, but you can have the same experience in many other hotels. Nothing to write home about. Good service, okay fitness center. Rooms are VERY basic with standard equipment, and not very clean. The location is very good, close to Broadway, Penn station and many attractions. Actually, I walked to most places hardly using any public transportation.

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a a Platinum Hyatt Member, and this is my second visit to this hotel. The stay was good in general, but was so disappointed afterwards.
When i left the hotel, at the airport, i discovered that i forgot my sweater & scarf in my hotel room.
Called the hotel, the phone operator couldn't locate the person responsible (Maria was her name), and asked me to call again. I called in the morning, and the reception told me that she (Maria) did not arrive yet. Called again later, he said to leave my phone number and she'll call back. Called the day after complaining that she never called back, he promised he'll personally follow up with her.
Of course, Maria did not respond despite my several phone calls for 3-4 days.
Luckily enough, i was connecting via NY and i decided to drop by the hotel in person. The guys at the reception were sympathetic with me and tried contacting Maria on the radio. After waiting for 10 mins in the lobby, she responded back that she has no sweater or scarf in the lost & found registered under my room number and that she was busy in a meeting and couldn't see me!!
For God's sake, some respect!... the polite guy on the reception (Thomas) respectfully apologised to me for this agonising encounter and promised me he'll have her call me when her meeting was over. Obviously, this did not happen till now.
Regardless of where my belongings are, i have never witnessed such disrespectful behaviour of a Hyatt staff before. I'm very disappointed, but hopefully i'll get a response for this post. Else, i will need to escalate further...

2 Thank WassimEh
NYC, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found the hotel to be grossly overpriced for sketchy accommodations. Is this really a Hyatt or a cheap impersonator? Apparently, my >$600/nite was a bargain because the guy behind me was quoted >$800/nite. But many much classier hotels centrally located in Manhattan at 1/2 the price. The Staff were very good but overall a ripoff.

1 Thank Derry R
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in April, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Knowing we wouldn't be spending much time in the room, we didn't want to pay a fortune. We chose this hotel based on the price, location, square footage (which was larger than other comparably priced hotels in the area.) Our room was very good-sized by New York standards, and it was set up efficiently. We had a (VERY comfortable) king bed, sofa, desk, large TV and huge window. The bathroom was nice but no counter space by the sink.... a lot of my toiletries ended up on the desk.

Thomas at the front desk was very helpful, and when I told him we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, he offered us 2 free beverages and a room on a high floor for a better view (but it was still was not good - on the other side of the building, we could have seen the Empire State Building but we looked over buildings and water tanks!) The complimentary skillet breakfast and Starbucks coffee were a huge bonus. The housekeeping staff did a great job each day, and the front desk and bell staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The only downside was that there are only 2 elevators, and during peak hours they were crowded and slow.

But the best thing about this hotel is the location. It's close to several subway stops that will take you north or south; walking distance to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Central Park. It's just off 5th Avenue, but we weren't bothered by any street noise during the night.

Overall, this hotel is a great value - ideal for our needs. We recommended it to relatives who will be visiting the city later this month.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Empire State Building side, floor 18 or up, for better views.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Desiree M
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My daughter and I spent two nights at this great hotel. From the first minute we stepped in, we felt at home! Dana from the front desk was amazing. He personally made sure that we were settled in answered all of our questions. He gave us great recommendations for restaurants and things to do. The room was small, but standard for NYC. It was clean and fresh. The breakfast was nice, nothing over the top, but just what we needed to start our day. The location is great! You can walk to so many of the local attractions including Times Square, the Theater District, 5th Avenue Shopping, Empire State Building, the Subway, and Madison Square Garden. Everything was extremely clean and the beds were comfy. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Winchester, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I brought my two kids (12 & 15) to the city. The hotel is very clean. The staff is friendly. The room was spacious for the 3 people. The breakfast was great! I felt very safe here. Just around the corner is a subway station. When returning I'll stay here again. Great location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Arlington, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I stayed here for business because I had a meeting in mid-town and also downtown. It was convenient for both. The room was good, staff nice, and the breakfast quite good and you can walk from Penn Station. It is close to shopping and lots of transportation.