“Hot Waterless”

Hyatt Place New York Midtown South
Ranked #146 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Hot Waterless”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Hotel check-in staff could not get computer to work, had to move on to another check-in person. No answer on multiple calls to front desk and operator. Had no hot water so had to take cold shower in the morning. No notification from hotel staff.

5 Thank Chuckmartin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This hotel is very nice. It's very well located, good shops/stores and subway stations around, no more than 10 minutes by foot to times square and excellent staff. I Didi many purchases by internet to be delivered at hotel and all of them were delivgered to me, even prior my arrival date.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My partner and I loved our stay at Hyatt Place New York Midtown South in March 2014. We booked online for 3 nights through Westjet Vacations as part of a package; no hassles and excellent value.

Hyatt Place's location was perfect for what we wanted. Situated in the heart of midtown, we were able to walk to everything - Times Square, Empire State Building and many more. It's also very easy to catch a subway or taxi in this area too.

We loved the consistently super-friendly service at Hyatt. Everytime we walked in the door it was like being welcomed back into our own home. Smiles always make people feel good and staff were very helpful; able to give us a map and directions when needed.

The included breakfast was excellent value. It was a fantastic way to start each day with a great range of fresh food, coffee and newspapers - perfect to fuel up with before a long day. Super-friendly breakfast staff also helped get each morning off to a good start!

We used the business centre multiple times and found it really modern, clean, efficient and didn't have to wait to use it. This would no doubt be excellent for business professionals staying at the Hyatt.

Our room was bigger than I expected for New York standards and was always clean, receiving regular clean sheets and efficient room service. I hear the tap water in rooms is drinkable with nothing wrong, despite its cloudy consistency. We opted to buy bottled water during our stay though, which was easily purchased from one of the many nearby convenience stores. Our bed was incredibly comfy!

Our room faced W36th Street and it took us a while to get accustomed to the street noise at night. It is New York though, so we expected this somewhat. The loud banging of nearby room doors did actually rattle our heads a little sometimes which was a bit unexpected. The waiting time to catch the elevators was a bit tedious as mentioned in other reviews. We didn't have a tight schedule opposed to business people, but I can imagine this annoying some.

We would definitely recommend Hyatt Place Midtown South to anyone staying in New York. An excellent hotel with excellent service and only minor hiccups. I look forward to our next stay at Hyatt Place!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RowMac
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Good solid hotel in mid-town. Price is good, but you can have the same experience in many other hotels. Nothing to write home about. Good service, okay fitness center. Rooms are VERY basic with standard equipment, and not very clean. The location is very good, close to Broadway, Penn station and many attractions. Actually, I walked to most places hardly using any public transportation.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am a a Platinum Hyatt Member, and this is my second visit to this hotel. The stay was good in general, but was so disappointed afterwards.
When i left the hotel, at the airport, i discovered that i forgot my sweater & scarf in my hotel room.
Called the hotel, the phone operator couldn't locate the person responsible (Maria was her name), and asked me to call again. I called in the morning, and the reception told me that she (Maria) did not arrive yet. Called again later, he said to leave my phone number and she'll call back. Called the day after complaining that she never called back, he promised he'll personally follow up with her.
Of course, Maria did not respond despite my several phone calls for 3-4 days.
Luckily enough, i was connecting via NY and i decided to drop by the hotel in person. The guys at the reception were sympathetic with me and tried contacting Maria on the radio. After waiting for 10 mins in the lobby, she responded back that she has no sweater or scarf in the lost & found registered under my room number and that she was busy in a meeting and couldn't see me!!
For God's sake, some respect!... the polite guy on the reception (Thomas) respectfully apologised to me for this agonising encounter and promised me he'll have her call me when her meeting was over. Obviously, this did not happen till now.
Regardless of where my belongings are, i have never witnessed such disrespectful behaviour of a Hyatt staff before. I'm very disappointed, but hopefully i'll get a response for this post. Else, i will need to escalate further...

2 Thank WassimEh
NYC, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I found the hotel to be grossly overpriced for sketchy accommodations. Is this really a Hyatt or a cheap impersonator? Apparently, my >$600/nite was a bargain because the guy behind me was quoted >$800/nite. But many much classier hotels centrally located in Manhattan at 1/2 the price. The Staff were very good but overall a ripoff.

1 Thank Derry R
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in April, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. Knowing we wouldn't be spending much time in the room, we didn't want to pay a fortune. We chose this hotel based on the price, location, square footage (which was larger than other comparably priced hotels in the area.) Our room was very good-sized by New York standards, and it was set up efficiently. We had a (VERY comfortable) king bed, sofa, desk, large TV and huge window. The bathroom was nice but no counter space by the sink.... a lot of my toiletries ended up on the desk.

Thomas at the front desk was very helpful, and when I told him we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary, he offered us 2 free beverages and a room on a high floor for a better view (but it was still was not good - on the other side of the building, we could have seen the Empire State Building but we looked over buildings and water tanks!) The complimentary skillet breakfast and Starbucks coffee were a huge bonus. The housekeeping staff did a great job each day, and the front desk and bell staff were very polite, friendly and helpful. The only downside was that there are only 2 elevators, and during peak hours they were crowded and slow.

But the best thing about this hotel is the location. It's close to several subway stops that will take you north or south; walking distance to Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and Central Park. It's just off 5th Avenue, but we weren't bothered by any street noise during the night.

Overall, this hotel is a great value - ideal for our needs. We recommended it to relatives who will be visiting the city later this month.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Empire State Building side, floor 18 or up, for better views.