“CHEAPEST PRIVATE ROOM IN MANHATTAN”

Bowery's Whitehouse Hotel
Copenhagen, Denmark
“CHEAPEST PRIVATE ROOM IN MANHATTAN”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I have stayed at the Bowery Whitehouse three times already, and there's a reason I keep coming back. IT'S CHEAP AND CENTRALLY LOCATED !!! The rooms might be tiny and a bit noisy (remember ear plugs and sleep shades), the common facilites are decent, but the staff are really nice and helpful. It's a great location and you can't beat the price. BEST PRICE FOR A PRIVATE ROOM IN MANHATTAN. I will stay there again in a few weeks, and I am looking forward !

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Christoffer H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Turkish first
Long Island City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't recommend this hostel. The single room are very bad and i had to live in the same floor with a "homeless" person.

I knew what an hostel in Manhattan could be and I expected that. But pictures and price were promising some nice charm place, which I didn't find at all. Half the price would have been a correct ratio with its quality. Disappointed!

The brazilian boy knows where all the bars are and he is very funny!!!!!

Room Tip: there is NO good room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Avoid this hostel at all cost. There are other hostels on Manhattan with comparable prices and far superior quality.

My experience with this hostel began as an advisor for a college spring break trip for approximately twenty students. Accordingly, we were looking to stay at an affordable and conveniently located place. We chose the Bowery hostel because it was close to the places we were going to be visiting throughout the week and was in line with our budget.

This hostel, however, was the biggest mistake of our trip.

We were greeted on our arrival by the lethargic and sloathful hostel staff. The front desk attendant was constantly aggrevated by the size of our group and commented on his dissatisfaction throughout the check-in process. To my surprise, though, the check-in process was the most enjoyable part of our stay at the Whitehouse.

About an hour after checking into the Whitehouse, one group of students notified me that they had bed bugs in their room. We moved them to another room which also had bed bugs. The third room we moved them had bed bugs, too, but by that time, we just resolved to move hostels the following morning and to stop the room exodus. In the end, at least half of the rooms we stayed in had bed bugs and many more likely did--we just did not see them.

Beyond bed bugs, the room quality was horrible. The rooms lack any ceilings, which allows one or two loud and inconsiderate guests to ruin a night's sleep. Such was the case in the experience of our stay. The bed quality is also lacking, as they are simply plywood benches with simple mattresses. Also, the linens on my be had recent, and from what I could tell, unwashed, blood stains--these were likely from previous bed bug bites.

Safety is the greatest concern for this hostel, though. At around 4am, I heard one of the hostel guests progessively testing each of the locks on our floor, including my own. Also, the neighborhood is up and coming, but still has its rough spots.

Combined, the bed bugs, safety, and uncleandliness of the hostel gives no reason to stay here. We ended up moving our group to a hostel on the Upper West Side (103 & Amsterdam) that was almost as cheap as this hostel, but was much more cleandly, safe, and pest-free. It was more than worth the extra twenty minutes on the subway each day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank MiamiMattB
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 29 January 2014

i liked the place. because: 1- cheapest private rooms in new york city. 45 usd. per person per night . 2-the location is very good....bowery....3- very near to metro stations.4- surrounding neighbourhood is safe and nice. not like china town 5-many nice places to eat and drink around the 5- the staff is ready to help you. 6- they have a lugage room that you can leave your things untill check in and after checkout. 7- kmart and 7-11 is very near. 7-11 is on the other side of the Street.subway is next door. 8- very near to broadway 9- customers are budget travelers students, young people both from the USA and international. not a cheap hotel for homeless people or illegal workers.... this hotel is a simple place for budget traveles. nearly free when you think about other places in NYC. many things depends on the people staying there not to the hotel managment. i will go New York again and will stay in this hotel. you can not find a cheper place. but do not forget you are not paying 200 usd per night. / per person.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank OMER_C68
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My Boyfriend and I booked this place on the last night of our travels together . As we had been traveling the US a month staying mostly in hostels we wanted a private room for our last night . But oh man this was not the right place . The only space in the " private rooms" is literally for the bed ( And I would consider it a King Single at best ) The walls Don't go right to the top and the space in the hallway is probably not even a foot across. There is no privacy and one hears every noise in the entire place . In the end we could only laugh about it and now refer to it jovially as " the rabbit hutch " however do not stay here . It may seem cheaper than other places but totally not worth it . Another downside is that the Soho area of Manhattan is really swanky and you'll find it hard to find affordable restaurants slash food in any form in the vicinity.. The service was also terrible , had to hand key in when we went out which felt very arbitrary and strange . The washing machine area was like a prison and stunk really bad.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicolefromnz
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 22 November 2013

There is a point at which affordability, as a metric, breaks down into insignificance. Bowery's 'Whitehouse' (Nothing is cleaned regularly enough to stay truly white) is the definition of 'cheap as hell'. Whatever your budget, you simply cannot afford to stay here, for health and safety reasons.

When beggars ask if you can spare some change for a hostel, this is the kind of place they have in mind. This hostel has a sign saying 'No Spitting' on the wall. I doubt it is heeded.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank MarkhamN
Nevada City, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I took my seven year old daughter here and we stayed five nights. She loved the place. We stayed here because we had no other choice, as I couldn't afford anything else, and we really made the best of it. At night I told her stories about how entire families used to live with all their kids and all their belongings inside little tenement housing flats like this, and she was rather enthralled. There is a refrigerator, a microwave, but no other kitchen accommodations. We had no problem with bed bugs either. I guess all the years I spent in the army somewhat hardened me to the other complaints I've been reading about on this page. Look, put simply, if you have enough money for a better hotel, go elsewhere. If you are worried about having enough money, this place will be your saving grace, like it was ours. I felt very safe here. So did my daughter. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: We started in room 217 and then got switched to room 205, which was on the end and much bigger. We l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family