“Nice relaxing place for dinner”
Review of Bar Bresco - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Three of us had dinner on a Monday night, which admittedly is not a busy night so the place was not that full. This is listed as an Italian wine bar and has an interesting intimate low light decor with lots of wine bottles on display, but also has a "retro" look with several black and white TVS with the sound off (but with subtitles on some of them).

Service was excellent. The complimentary bread and humus spread that we started with was delicious. For appetizers we got the grilled seafood platter (which had amazing tasting shrimp, mussels, and calamari) and the buffalo mozzarella cheese with tomatoes. The quality was excellent and the portions were large for appetizers. For the main course I got one of the specials, which was the largest piece of veal parmigiana that I have ever had with freshly made broccoli and russet potatoes. The cheese was actually baked into the veal instead of being the usual loose glob on top. I am not exaggerating when I say that two people could have made a meal out of my dinner (which I could not finish, and took the leftovers home). The other people in my party got the grilled skirt steak with spinach, which was expertly prepared--and another huge portion that resulted in more leftovers to bring home.

The cabernet wine that two of us had with dinner was very good, as was the ricotta cheese cake with a hint of orange that we shared for desert along with a couple of peppermint teas. Everything was reasonably priced (the total bill for the three of us including tax was just under $50 per person).

If you are looking for a reasonably priced place to eat dinner with really good food, huge portions, a nice atmosphere, and great service, this is the place to go. We will definitely be back.