“Best Jazz Club”

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Best Jazz Club”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Probably the most consistently interesting booking among the city's top jazz clubs. The food here is easily best by far. The way they treat (largely tourist) patrons is best by far; if anything they are possibly too "nice" as the quiet policy isn't always strictly enforced. The food and cover prices are typical for New York. This is one of the best places in all of New York to be pleasantly surprised.

Visited August 2012

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Poughkeepsie, NY
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great music AND great food”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Many jazz clubs sacrifice one or the other - Jazz Standard provides solid jazz and outstanding food from Danny Meyer's Blue Smoke Barbecue Restaurant upstairs. Each Monday one of the three Mingus tribute bands plays; other days the venue is populated by some of the finest jazz artists, modern and greats from the jazz past like Lou Donaldson. The barbecue's outstanding, the music even better.
This is a must for New Yorkers and visitors alike.

Visited June 2012
New York City, New York
“Great for tourists and New Yorkers alike”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

As a New Yorker, I feed off of introducing my friends to new places in the city. Many have never been to a jazz concert before so, this was a treat. Also, any tourists visiting nyc has gotta love this place. it's quintessential nyc.

Visited June 2012
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Mingus night is a must-see for jazz fans!”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This was my first time in NYC, and I really wanted to catch a good live jazz show. Boy, did I pick the right one!

After searching around on the web and reading some reviews I came across the Jazz Standard which runs a Mingus tribute night every monday. The band itself is organized by Mingus' widow and comes in three flavors, namely Mingus Big Band, Mingus Orchestra and Mingus Dynasty. See their web site for further details - the gushing reviews on the site under the Mingus Big Band speak for themselves as to the quality of the music.

They have two shows per night, $25 per person (half price for students on the second show, but YOU MUST phone them directly to get that price since this cannot be done on the website.) We went to the early show, which began at 7:30, but doors were at 6:30. My wife and I actually arrived at the venue around 5:45 and asked the people at the Blue Smoke restaurant when we should get in line, and they suggested going down around 6:15 or 6:20, which we did and were first in line and got the pick of seats in the house. As to complaints about service that you see here, I can only imagine that the people complaining arrived just before the show at 7:30 and expected the staff to rush over and interrupt the show so that they could order a meal and beer. We found the staff very attentive, friendly and helpful both prior to the show and during intervals, but they would (thankfully!!!) not be so rude to the musicians as to interrupt the music. The food was wonderful and reasonably priced given that the portions are the usual NYC size. My wife got the 'small' baby back ribs (which do not come with a side) so she ordered a 'side' of Mac and Cheese and spinach, and the Mac and Cheese by itself would have been sufficient for her as a meal. I ordered the pulled pork (another of their classic dishes, as the waitress told me) which did come with sides of beans, bun and coleslaw, and could only finish half. Again see their site for the menu and prices, but I felt that they were more than reasonable given the beautiful venue and quality of food.

The set itself was just over 1 hour long, at the end of which we were told we could speak to our server to stay for the next show (presumably for another $25 per) but we had to leave the next day, so that was a no go for us. At any rate, the music was so sublime that no number of sets could have been any more satisfying, as I felt like I could listen to them for years on end and never have enough!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank CPRandSEM
Göteborg, Västra Götaland, Sweden
4 attraction reviews
“Great Food”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Great food and fantastic music, just might be back the next time in town...

Visited April 2012