“Even the set deserves an award”
Review of Newsies The Musical - CLOSED

Newsies The Musical
More attraction details
Owner description: Disney's NEWSIES, the breakout new American musical, is now on Broadway in New York City! The musical, based on the beloved 1992 Disney movie musical of the same name, features a score by eight-time Academy Award® winner Alan Menken (Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Sister Act) and Jack Feldman and a book by four-time Tony® Award winner Harvey Fierstein (La Cage aux Folles, Torch Song Trilogy). NEWSIES is directed by Tony nominee Jeff Calhoun (Big River revival) and choreographed by Tony nominee Christopher Gattelli (South Pacific revival). Set in New York City at the turn of the century, NEWSIES is the rousing tale of Jack Kelly, a charismatic newsboy and leader of a ragged band of teen aged ‘newsies,’ who dreams only of a better life far from the hardship of the streets. But when publishing titans Joseph Pulitzer and William Randolph Hearst raise distribution prices at the newsboys’ expense, Jack finds a cause to fight for and rallies newsies from across the city to strike for what’s right. NEWSIES is inspired by the real life "Newsboy Strike of 1899," when newsboy Kid Blink led a band of real life orphan and runaway newsies on a two-week long action against Pulitzer, Hearst and other powerful newspaper publishers. The original Disney film has morphed into a cult phenomenon with a generation of avid fans discovering the movie on VHS and DVD. The stage version introduces several brand-new songs by the original team of Menken and Feldman while keeping many of the beloved songs from the film, including ‘Carrying the Banner, ‘Seize the Day,’ ‘King of New York’ and ‘Santa Fe.’
Binghamton, New York
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Even the set deserves an award”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Saw Newsies at the Wednesday nmatinee on 8/1/2012. Great show. The dancing was excellent and the set on three floors added to the show. Just amazing what can be done on a Broadway stage. The dancers stomped, tapped, did acrobatic manuevers, and never missed a beat. Hghly recommended.

Jupiter, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wow”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I didnt want to go to this, but my daughter did, so I relented and went. All I can say is wow. This is definately one of the best Broadway shows I have ever seen. The dancing was superb. The energy in the theater was infectious, everybody throughly enjoyed the show.

Visited July 2012
New City, New York, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A powerhouse of joy”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

When you leave a theatre and hum the music you know it's great!!! My son, 29, daughter, 23, an actress, singer, dancer and my husband were so enthusiastic, bowled over with the talent, the amazing dancers, the story! We had right Row G seats, just fine. We couldn't stop talking about it throughout. Lots of smiling. Can't wait for one of the leads to be a featured actor in the hit TV show Smash this Fall.
I highly recommend this musical for sheer fun and wonderful family entertainment. The kids will of it too!!!

1 Thank askarden
Virginia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I heard this play was good so we decided to see it. It was much better than I expected. If you like musicals this is for you. It will appeal to all ages. The applauses stopped the performance at least 4 times.

Visited July 2012
Collegeville PA
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“A Fun Time”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

I saw this movie when I was a kid and yesterday, I brought my 6-year old to see this. Fortunately, the theater had booster seats and my son needed two of them in order to see well. We were sitting in left orchestra, which turned out to be pretty decent seats. The only thing I didn't like about the theater was how little room there was between rows. I was a bit cramped, especially since we had packages with us that wouldn't fit well under the seat.

The show itself was great with lots of high-energy music and dancing, which kept my son entertained. He enjoyed seeing the sets move around the stage and would even dance a little in his seat. It's a 2.5 hour production with at least a 20-minute intermission--it might have even been closer to 30 minutes. I just recall it being an unusually long intermission.

We made a day of it in the city and will probably make this an annual tradition going forward as there are now other shows he's interested in seeing. Just wish they weren't so darn expensive!

1 Thank GigemAggie