“Slick and well run, but the neighborhood ???”
Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #52 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We often seek out smaller, more intimate hotels -- places that our friends have never heard of -- which led us to the NoMad. There is a subdued, somewhat eerie ambiance on entering the lobby. Dark, quiet tones abound. We checked in on a hot, humid afternoon and felt soothed just walking through the door. The desk was well staffed, so we were immediately accommodated. The young lady who checked us in could have been more welcoming, but, from that point forward, the staff was excellent. The room was nicely appointed, with numerous original framed pieces. The large, claw on ball tub was in the room itself (the bathroom was quite small) which we thought a bit odd, but we soon became accustomed to it. The bedding was top shelf. On the downside, the A/C was marginal and there was a hint of subway rumble in our fifth floor room.The rooftop bar staff was great and the bartenders fabulous. We left for dinner a little tipsy, but content. We walked to a restaurant a few blocks away. The neighborhood is jammed with cheap jewellery/t-shirt/cell phone shops and there is a veritable maze of construction scaffolding to be negotiated. It's just no fun walking around this area. On balance, a comfortable boutique hotel that I would visit again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less subway rumble.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pfmattia

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The hotel experience was good, but the dining experience at the restaurant was out of this world! I recommend the Seafood Plateau and the signature Chicken dish - brilliant!
The hotel rooms were well appointed and the service in the hotel overall very engaged and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank 313Travelbird
Reviewed 22 July 2012

What about The NoMad, a brand new hotel North of Madison Square Park? Well, let me tell you, there is a lot to tell about The NoMad. The options to put your head to rest in the city are endless, but I am very picky. I am looking for a hotel that is an elongation of my eclectic fashion identity, the service has to be top notch and my heart has to go bananas when I take my first steps into the hotel.

And this is exactly what happened when I entered The Nomad hotel. The dark mood overloaded me with a feeling of peace and tranquility. It is such a contradiction to the crazy multi-cultural setting outside. And that is making it even more interesting. In other words, the hotel is located at the most perfect eclectic corner in NYC.

My first impression took my breath away. Heavy materials, fabrics and colors are combined to transfer you to another universe or even to another era. An era that was driven by elegance and mystery. You want to look left and right to take a glance at the other guests. But the setting makes that quite impossible. After taking a ride with a vintage elevator, an interesting corridor takes you to your room. And you slightly wonder: am I at the Orient Express?

We preferred a Salon corner room on a high floor and they granted our request. When I entered the room both my bag and my jaw fell right on the hardwood floor. You walk in the room by a small hallway which is a forerunner of something magnificent. Talking about being in awe. How can you combine deep and rich fabrics with such brightness? It is a design mystery to me. They created a sophisticated pied-à-terre that feels like a true haven. I did not know where to look, literally, because the views come in plural. Being in a corner room we could take advantage of three spectacular views of the north of Madison Square Park area. I could almost spot the hip and trendy Ace hotel.

And now some special words about the bed. All luxury nyc hotels talk about Egyptian cotton (read: the beds cost millions). But in this large marshmallow you close your eyes with a smile on your face. One minor setback: we are dealing with the tinniest bathroom alive. Perfectly designed but oh so small. So small that I never closed the door while using it.

The vibe and the overall atmosphere are magnificent and extraordinary. Everywhere I looked my eyes started to sparkle even a little bit more. But there is room for improvement. The amenity kit in the bathroom is limited and complementary water would have been a fabulous treat during the heat wave. Oh and the newspapers are complimentary too, but you have to ask for them yourself. Will I go back to NoMad hotel? DEFINITELY. Let's say that the NoMad hotel is a less well-oiled machine than the Greenwich hotel, but the potential and the possibilities of the hotel are endless.

note: unfortunately I was not permitted to take photos of the public areas.

Room Tip: corner room on a higher floor
5  Thank Knickerbockerforlife
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The hotel is perfectly lovely.
Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful -- especially the bellman who ran to fetch a fresh-brewed cup of coffee for my boyfriend at 430 in the morning, and the man at the front desk who went to the corner to fetch me a cab while said bellman was getting the coffee.

I stay in NYC very often for work, but I would certainly look forward to coming back to this hotel for a longer stay.
The room felt nothing like a standard business hotel - I have had my share of those.
It was more like a little flat in Paris. I loved all the details - from the artwork to the fixtures in the bathroom.
The restaurant is a treat in itself, too.

4  Thank enoNYC
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is over-hyped, over-rated and clearly over-priced. When I first tried making a reservation, on-line, the site would only let me make a reservation for 12 days. I tried repeatedly and since it was a brand new hotel I finally called only to discover that their website was in disarray. A Reservationsist finally straightened things out and I stayed for two days with a bill well over $1400 for a very mediocre room. The decor is lovely, if eccentric, but what really took the cake was the dinner I had with their "fabulous four star" chicken with truffles. I've had far better at Quatorze or Chez L'Ami in Paris. This one was very mundane and far from memorable. When I saw the NY Times wax ecstatically about it, I was amazed and The Times went down a notch in my book as far as their Resaurant Reviews. Perhaps all will improve with age.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Kate M
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for two nights following our small wedding celebration. We were incredibly impressed with the well trained team they have assembled! Every single associate we came across from doormen, front desk agents to dining room staff were incredibly engaging, knowledgeable of the property and area and extremely passionate about what they did! It is extremely rare that you could find a newer property already hitting on all cylinders when it comes to the human element!

In addition the rooms were extremely well appointed, clean and furnished in a tasteful manner. The beverage program is top notch from smoothies at breakfast to solo pot SO coffees to drinks at the bar that rival anything a top NYC bar can churn out.

Bravo, look forward to returning soon

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I was tempted to try the new NoMad because of the quirky looking, eclectic room design. Not only do they deliver with maximum hipness and style points in that regard, they have created a unique experience that is truly luxurious. Most 'quirky' boutique hotels use interesting design to distract from the lack of investment in other areas. This is the first example I have found that has managed to balance both unexpected design and the highest quality in furnishings, finish and special touches. For example, the 'minibar' is a wonderfully designed steamer luggage trunk that has been converted into a personal bar, complete with a half bottle of the hard-to-find and very good Copain Pinot Noir. Another touch is the old-school push button light switches, but instead of the typical hipster boutique lack of lighting (typically to disguise imperfections) the room lights up brightly with the ability to adjust the ambiance. The linens are exceptional, the walls lined with interesting collections of art prints and photos, and the room amazingly quiet. I have two reasons for not giving it 5 stars (yet). I don't think the hotel has found it's stride yet with the public areas. The service in the main bar and adjoining library (beautifully designed) was a bit awkward--they didn't seem to know if they were a hipster bar, or a new form of luxury experience. And second, the location is, let's say, 'emerging'. While this is definitely the top choice for midtown, and this part of broadway is apparently projected to be the next cool spot, it's still midtown....All said, I will definitely be back and will enjoy following this hotel as they get more comfortable with their concept and execution--it's a good one.

Room Tip: Don't turn down a room on the third floor--they have the highest ceilings!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business