“Off the hook hipster place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The NoMad Hotel

The NoMad Hotel
Ranked #60 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Santa Rosa, California
“Off the hook hipster place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

I felt like I'd walked into a movie set ... or at least one of the hippest places to be in Manhattan. Gorgeous, petite hotel. Very unassuming from the outside. High ceilings. Crazy-cool lobby bar and restaurant off the stately sitting area in the lobby. One of the best meals I've had in New York--and I work in the food/wine business. So much fun.

Oh. The rooms. I could live here. My room was as big as a New York apartment. It was only missing the kitchen. Very Restoration Hardware catalog in terms of the decor.

I would go back in a heartbeat. Was it expensive? Extremely. But if your company is paying, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Lisa M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Just back from staying here for 4 nights, can't recommend highly enough...

The restaurant and bar area were fantastic with a great atmosphere. Probably not suitable for a family.

Room was great, 24hr room service with freshly prepared hot food, great bed and shower, and not that noisy (we were on the higher floors).

Position I felt was excellent for heading uptown and downtown, with plenty to do round the area.

The only thing I'd say is I hope it is still as good when I return...don't let it slip Nomad!

1 Thank _12Mac12_
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We had 2 separate stays at the NoMad Hotel on our visit to New York and both were superb. The rooms are spacious, clean, beautifully decorated and had fast free WiFi. The beds were luxurious and very comfortable giving us much needed rest. We stayed on the 10th and 12th floors and found that both the rooms were extremely quiet. All the staff were terrific and extremely helpful and resolved some minor issues we had easily and quickly. The shower was worth the stay alone but we found the bar and restaurant to be some of the best in the city. We thought the location was great and offered convenient access to all parts of town. I highly recommend this hotel if you are planning a trip to New York. Well done and thank you NoMad, you were an outstanding highlight of our NY trip!

Room Tip: Rooms facing W 28th St offer terrific view of the Empire State Building
1 Thank HJPMac
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

Enjoyed staying in this boutique hotel. A convenient location. I enjoyed their breakfast, and their coffee was delicious.

Room lights difficult to figure out so I thought initially the room was dimly lit. But once I found out how to turn up the lights, it was fine.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Marivic T
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

The NoMad was everything I had hoped for and more. I spent a few days doing research on where to stay as I wanted comfort, cleanliness and a peaceful night sleep and I am so glad that I stayed here. The staff was friendly, no attitude at all - and very eager to help whenever I needed assistance (wake up calls, luggage storage, cabs) no problem.

My room was so clean and comfortable! Now that I am home, I often find myself missing my bed at the NoMad. I slept so good and the hotel was very quiet. The room was also well equipped with all the little luxuries you could hope for. They offer a fully stocked mini bar but I still suggest grabbing anything at a local Duane Reade to save some cash. Make use of the bathtub after a long day of walking around the city - you'll be glad you did.

Finally, the overall decor of the hotel is truly represented in the photos posted by the hotel as well as guests. Charmingly Parisian. I felt like I was in my own apartment, not a typical hotel room at all.

Room Tip: 12th floor - super quiet and views of Empire State building.
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2012

Great modern, stylish hotel. Our room was clean, quiet and the bed was very comfortable. We stayed in the atelier room with the lovely bathtub. The hotel is situated near the flatiron district and the subway station is literally 30 seconds from the hotel doorstep. Very convenient. If you don't mind walking, its about a 20 - 25 mins walk to Time Square, MoMa and fifth avenue (for shopping indulgences) We also tried the restaurant at the hotel, great food and service although it was a little pricey. Overall a great stay.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MicroBunny
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

Easily my new second favorite New York City hotel!

Why only 2nd? Read on to find out.

I booked a classic room facing the inner courtyard and the NoMad absolutely did not disappoint.

The room was stylish, comfortable and luxurious without being over the top. Nothing gaudy or ostentatious here. Indeed, the room was fairly understated and had a welcoming cozy residential feel to it.

Let's talk room inventory (i.e. the "hard product") first -- the most comfortable king sized bed I have ever had the pleasure to sleep on in any hotel (and I've stayed in a lot of hotels over the years); beautifully reclaimed hardwood floors; high ceilings and tall windows which give one a nice sense of space and light; LCD TV with all channels in HD (however, channel selection was limited, at least compared to the channel offerings in at least one NYC hotel I've stayed in); laptop sized in-room safe; hardwood table; two chairs; more than sufficient lighting -- all had dimmers; an I-Home dock (handy for recharging IPods or IPhones); ironing board; slippers; luggage rack; umbrella; standard sized closet; mini-bar; in-room slippers; toiletries from Cote Bastide; Frette towels; marble bathroom counter top; marble bathroom floors; large shower area with wall-mounted and hand-held showers (unfortunately, both showers had only a single spray setting); water went from cold to hot fairly quickly; complimentary WiFi and morning newspaper (either NYT or the Post). I should also mention that my room was very clean.

Everything in the room looked and felt luxurious, well-made, and expensive. Nothing cheap here. Unique design touches that further elevate the room also abound, to wit: the air conditioning grill (not your standard vertical slats); the prints on the walls which are unique to each room; the "Do Not Disturb"/ "Please Clean Room" sign you hang from the door handle (not your standard plastic or cardboard); the steamer trunk mini-bar; the leather wrapped headboard. All these little touches worked as a cohesive whole to make the room as inviting, interesting, unique and comfortable for guests as possible.

The room was not perfect, however. I would have liked a somewhat larger desk, for example. The floors being reclaimed hardwood, they creak and I could hear guests in the rooms above mine walking on theirs. A number of bathroom fixtures seem to have retained their water and splatter marks, even after housekeeping had cleaned. In terms of amenities, a complimentary mini-bar and snacks in the lobby (like Hyatt's Andaz hotels) would be welcome. Heck, even just complimentary in-room bottled water restocked daily! (Hence, NoMad only being my 2nd favorite of all the hotels I've stayed in in NYC. The Andaz Wall Street retains the #1 spot for me precisely because of the complimentary mini-bar and lobby snacks and outstanding design/service/other amenities.)

Unfortunately, I never did eat in the restaurant or have a drink in the bar, so am unable to render an opinion as far as those as concerned. (Maybe next time.)

I didn't have much interaction with the staff. But of those I did interact with (briefly), I found them professional and courteous but not necessarily determined to over deliver on a guest's expectations (which is fine with me, as I'm primarily a D.I.Y. type traveler anyway).

A couple of additional notes to what is already a (maybe too) long review:

The lobby and restaurant are so well trafficked by people dressed up to the nines (coats, ties, and elegant dresses) that walking off the elevator, even in nice jeans, khakis and a collared short-sleeved shirt, can make one feel a bit out of place. (It's a presence thing :) To be sure, this is one hotel where i don't think you're going to see very many guests in jogging pants or shorts, sleeveless or (worse) tank top shirts, fanny packs, and sneakers.

Location wise, North of Madison Square Park needs to gentrify a bit more, I think. I found the relative absence of places outside of the hotel offering a full, well made and tasty American breakfast menu (i.e. sausages, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, fruit salad, etc.) to be particularly frustrating. (However, if all you want is a coffee and, say, a croissant, there are a number of places within short walking distance from the hotel.) I likewise found the absence of convenience stores or, better yet, the big drug store chains like CVS or Duane Reade (where one can buy necessities) within close proximity to be a minus. (However, note that the presence of a Shake Shack and Eataly a short walk away serve to even out some of the negatives.)

In summary, a very nice hotel that gets most things absolutely right.

The NoMad gets a decidedly enthusiastic thumbs up from this traveler.

Room Tip: The Classic rooms do not have the free standing tub. However, because they're located in the inn...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo