The NoMad Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
US$208
US$200
  • Pool
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$188
US$308
US$274
US$347
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$313
US$232
  • Pool
US$515
US$412
  • Room Service
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$267
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
US$204
US$171
  • Fitness centre
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$310
US$243
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$210
US$167
  • Fitness centre
All reviewslibrary baratelier roomclaw foot tubflatiron districtwater closetreserved for hotel guestshardwood floorsace hotelmadison square parknew yorkthe empire state buildingwalk in showergreat boutiquecool hotelrestaurants and barsluxury hotelbeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 January 2013

A pleasant hotel done in the spirit of Costes (Paris) and it sort of works in the public spaces. The restaurant is cosy (we didnt eat there) and the bar very busy and popular.The rooms are a little soulless bur ok. Our bathroom wasnt very clean. The room was also quite cold and didnt offer a lot of comfort for a cold November NYC. We didnt love the location for atmosphere but it is quite central. Some of the staff were nice (particularly the doormen) and we had a problem in our room which took them a while to sort out but we got there in the end. Overall Ok but we will try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed at The Nomad last night (16 Jan 13) for 1 night & had an amazing experience! The hotel is located near The Ace, in a slightly gritty area, but very near Union Square, the Flower District, & Midtown. I arrived early around 11am, but my room wasn't quite ready; it became available around 2:30pm. The boy that checked me in (I think his name was Brad) was cool, friendly & had a great smile every time I saw him- he was also quite efficient, handed me an umbrella as it was raining & said I had been upgraded to a 'Grande' category, which he said was one of his favorite room types!

I ran a quick errand, then waited in the lobby for an hour or so while my room was being prepared...I accessed the Wifi, which was very quick in the lobby & in my room as well, which was complimentary. Very cool & sophisticated crowd during the day in the lobby, as well as in the restaurant, which is directly off the lobby, so the area stays crowded as so many people are waiting for their tables at peak times, but it never became an issue of overcrowding. The hotels style is designed after a Parisian Flat & feels quite authentic & very chic! I loved it- the lobby is always very dark & sets a relaxed vibe- I also loved the dimly lit hallways leading to the rooms- very moody & subtle. The whole hotel feels like something out of Paris, yet retains a warm, homey, yet hip vibe- congrats to everyone behind the idea!

My room (# 504) was quite spacious & had tall ceilings, 2 large windows that let in a nice amount of sunlight, an amazing victoria + albert free standing claw-foot soaking tub (clearly my favorite feature in the room- spectacular!!), a lovely mini-bar concealed in a beautiful leather trunk that had a great selection & several local items, a fantastic bed with very soft sheets, perfect pillows, a lovely throw & a very comfy mattress, large Frette bath towels, very cool details like hardwood floors, a beautiful rug, large flat screen LG TV with perfect sound & very clear picture quality with a wide selection of channels, & a very cool set of framed pictures scattered on the walls.....I really loved my room & it was again, very cozy, yet stunning in design & feel. I also loved the really tall & high doors leading into my room & the closet area! The bath vanity is near the tub, then a little hallway lead into the WC, then into a glass encased shower area. The Argan bath products were lovely, but very strongly scented, similar to Roses.

The Food I had at the hotel was outstanding! Daniel Humm is renowned in NYC & has an amazing Food & Beverage Program at the hotel comprising several rooms (Atrium, The Library, the Bar, etc.) It was packed every day & clearly extremely popular! I went around 5pm to the Library & had a lovely time. The room is really gorgeous, & again, dim & very chilled out. Cool crowd & the Food was amazing! I ordered the Crispy Chicken Tenders with this amazing Lime, Chili + Yogurt dipping sauce, & also the Orange Julius drink, which was so delicious I had 2...it's a really delightful blend of orange & cream. The Milk & Honey dessert was delicious! The milk ice cream with honey drizzled on top, then brittle, shortbread & crisp meringue is an amazing combination- just spectacular!! The service in the bar was very friendly! I also ordered Room Service a few times- everything was very good, including a lovely breakfast smoothie, refined squash soup, amazing raspberry tart & the swiss Cheese plate was great!

However, there a few flaws to point out, none of which really bothered me, but I can see how this could be problematic for some guests:

#1) I was on the 5th floor. rooms begin on 2. The hotel is around the corner from the Uptown stop for N/R trains for 28th st. station & I could very clearly hear the subway arrive & leave, as well as occasionally feel the rumble beneath the earth from the train (which was actually cool in my opinion). The sound proofing from outside is not very good. I could hear people talking from the street & like I said, the sounds from the trains. I live in New York, so none of this really bothered me, but just something to point out. I'm sure the Higher floors are less prone to the train sound. It wasn't super loud or annoying, but clearly heard.

#2) The In Room Dining (Room Service) Menu is extremely limited. I love ordering Room Service when I stay at any hotel, so this is important to me when traveling. While everything I ordered was really delicious, having more variety & choices would have been nice. The all day dining menu is small, with very sophisticated choices, but having more options like Salad, a solid dessert menu, etc. would be nice. When I asked for Whole Wheat Toast for breakfast, the only options were White or Multi-grain.

Overall, I really loved my stay & the hotel is housed in a stunning building with charming & very nice doormen! I'm so happy I stayed & it's a really unique hotel with amazing design details! Also, Alexis, who made my reservation was super nice over the phone & was a great first start to my stay! Michelle from Room Service was very kind over the phone, as was everyone at the Front Desk & when I asked for a slightly later check-out it was kindly granted from Charlie.

Thanks for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Tub!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2013

The rooms were a fantastic French boutique. The claw foot bathtub was a joy to use. The room service was delicious, and the library bar area was probably my favorite thing there. Will stay again next visit!

Room Tip: I had a great view of the Empire State Building from my room which was only a few blocks away.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Located in the middle of all the action, near the flatiron building and Union Square, the NoMad is a trendy, v pricey, and very satisfying experience. My wife and I traveled there for my 40th birthday - a 5-day trip. Stayed on the 11th floor in a standard room.

Decor: The refurb that the French interior designer did is excellent, with great taste and amazing sourcing of stuff.

Food: the chef (Dec 2012) was fantastic. The food was pretty pricey, but definitely Michelin standard. Their speciality is roast chicken with some magic ingredients (truffles etc), which we didn't order. The burger from room service was excellent - much better than one of the top 10 NYC burgers that i tried earlier in the day, and not really that pricey. Defo worth going to the hotel to eat only. The bar looked beautiful but a bit cramped.

Location: It's not in the middle of everything, but half-way between downtown and uptown. Nice and quiet, and next to a subway stop so you can get up or downtown quickly.

Service: Shames the UK with its excellent customer service, as most places in NYC do. Not overly nice and too-polite but just right, with any info you needed immediately responded to.

In summary, an amazing hotel with perfect service, but be prepared to pay! A great experience...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We were supposed to stay at a family member's spare bedroom in Chelsea for our trip, but my husband surprised me by whisking me from the airport by towncar to the Nomad Hotel. We entered the beautiful dimly-lit lobby and I instantly felt like I had entered the realms of a different era.
We were assigned a room on the second floor overlooking the glass rooftop of the resident restaurant and the exterior red brick walls of the other side of the hotel. There was plenty of sunlight to light up our room. I was really impressed with the details of the boutique hotel. Everything was designed to mimic the detailing of old design but was actually a modern fixture. For instance, the room access keys are tap cards; one step above the swipe card readers you might find at most modern hotels.
Once we entered the room, we took time to look at all of the beautiful touches such as the reclaimed hardwood floors, global art on the walls, antique-inspired push-button light switches with dimmers, expensive Persian(?) rug, furniture, drapery hangers (yes, seriously). The bathroom was spectacular with a modern octagon-shaped toilet with dual push-button flusher, marble hexagon tiles in the shower, dual shower heads, and handsome sink vanity with classy fixtures. The bathroom supplies were exquisite with Frette towels, pebbled goblets, Argan toiletries.
The bed was extremely comfortable with a plush-top mattress and down comforters and pillows. We declined the turn-down service so we didn't get to experience that.
We ate brunch/lunch at the in-house restaurant by the same people at Eleven Madison Park (one of the top restaurants in the city right now). The chicken sandwich on Brioche with Black Truffles and Foie Gras was to die for. We can't recommend it enough. The lobster salad was really good too, but too light on the salad portion.
Overall, this was an amazing experience and Nomad is my new threshold for boutique hotels. If you appreciate the details, definitely stay here.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple