“Prime Location”

Chelsea International Hostel
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed here for one night. The location is perfect. Right off 8th Ave, you can walk up 3 blocks to 23rd and catch the A, C or E subways and go Uptown or Downtown. Only 3 stops from Port Authority Terminal which is right by Times Square.

Check in is at 3, so when we arrived at noon - we were told to go downstairs, drop off our bags and come back. The lockers were 4 dollars for 24 hrs and a fair size. We stored our bags until check-in...which was seamless.

The hostel itself is a little dungeony... with the rooms being small, ours had two twin beds, a sink and two lockers. For the most part it was clean, and safe... the door to our building was locked to the street, only guests could enter the unit we stayed in. Each room locked.

The shower on our floor was clean, as was the room/closet with the toilet.

The courtyard in the back is nice, with picnic tables and wifi.

For 50 some dollars a person in New York City... I think this was a great deal, especially for just one night, The location couldn't have been better, the gentleman who checked us in was super friendly, as were the other guests.

It's a hostel - don't expect the Ritz.

Would definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank ktmholden

Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is the only review I have ever written. I'm not one to complain but my god this place is not worth the money. Its very expensive for a hostel and you are paying for a prison bed...wifi works in one area that is it... No friendly atmosphere... People can just walk into the building as there is no code for front door.. Breakfast is ridiculous.. And they claim to have a kitchen - they don't (unless you think a camping stove is a kitchen with plastic cutlery). I feel awful to have to write this but I felt let down...you can basically get a room in a nice hotel if you're in a pair for near enough same price.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Lauren B
Reviewed 25 July 2014

very well located. between three subway stations where you can go anywhere in ny (and easy to go to the airport).
you can walk easily to HighLine Park or Flatiron Building.
very secure neighborhood (the hostel is in front a police station).
The breakfast is simple, but ok (fruits, bread, juice, milk, coffee, corn flakes).
The bathroom is clean, a little bit small, but the shower is hot (i was there in the winter and i was affraid of take a cold shower).
The rooms are very simple, but ok to sleep (the room was to hot in the winter, that i could sleep with the window opened, but i don't know how it is in the summer).
The wi-fi reaches only the common areas.

My final review is: isn't the cheapest place to stay, but worth it for the location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Paid $130 per night for a box room with 2 very old metal beds in it, a tiny sink and 2 lockers that you could pick up and take with you. The shower room was so small that you struggle to turn around in it, a shower was a real struggle!
The internet only worked in one aread of the hotel and they locked that up at 21pm at night so you couldnt get any wifi after that time!
There was one nice member of staff, the rest you felt you were putting them out just asking basic questions or asking for help.
It was extrememly noisy both from outside and inside the bedroom areas of the hostel, hearing police sirens all night from the police station over the road, which I know cant be helped but to add the loudness from the other tenants stayin there of a night is a real pain in the backside to get to sleep of an evening.
You basically pay for the area your staying in and thats all. I have paid less for better hostels.
Chelsea is a wonderful area and your basically within walkin distance to most things.
Love the area - NOT THE HOSTEL!
It needs a lick of paint, comfier beds, sound proofed rooms, wifi throughout, bigger shower areas and a basic overall revamp!
Also the kitchen area contains a 2-point hob (not a cooker) and only the front one works, 3 pans which the tenants tend to eat out of? (when there are numerous plates) No cuttlery and a few utensils... Extremely basic. Ah and only one fridge worked with NO freezer...
Would not stay again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Calmond
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was warned that New York is expensive. I therefore chose this hostel as the advertised price fitted my pocket the best of all the other places I had looked at. The hidden costs killed me, though. The biggest "hidden" cost is all the various taxes you have to pay. These almost doubled the initial price. It would be so much easier if New York included all taxes and tips in the advertised price!

As for the accommodation: The hostel is clean, the staff quiet but effective and the neighbourhood is one of the nicer 'burbs of lower Manhattan (in my opinion at least). There are many eateries and grocery stores very close by as is a police station. Access to public transport from here is very easy too. The building is old and thus so are the amenities. The common area where guests can watch telly, gain access to the internet and where breakfast is served is cramped. The outside seating area (quad) consists of steel table and bench combos.

I booked a single room and must state that it resembles a cell more than a room. Thankfully there was a working air-conditioner, but in these tiny confines it became a rattling disturbance. The bed was fine, the linen clean and the room was swept almost daily. Included in the price was a "breakfast". This consisted of a bagel, a fruit, cereal and the most disgusting substance passed off as coffee.

All in all I did not spend much time in the room, but I am extremely disappointed at the price vs value for money. I am sure I could have checked into better facilities for that price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WindhoekWolf
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

After travelling for a fee months and staying in various accommodation types I found that this hostel was one of the worse. We stayed in a twin private for 4 nights at a cost of $470; a room that consisted of cramped space, no curtains, the smallest shower/toilet to share with the whole building and no TV or Wifi in the rooms.
The breakfast was very basic and only ran from 8am-10am, the common areas are small, unclean and nowhere decent to relax along with being closed off at 11pm. Due to the Wifi access only being in the kitchen area and outside yard which again is closed at 11pm it can be difficult to keep connected or even socialise with others.
The staff behind the desk were at times rude and I felt when asking for fresh bedding and so on, they had to get of their backsides and do something.
The atmosphere in the hostel is stale, there is no interactions from the staffs and when you think you may have a nice time here from trading their website, you will be disappointed.
The only good thing of this hostel is the location, however with the subway being cheap enough and easy to use I would advise other travellers to book else where!! I never normally give a very negative review however this place really left a negative memory on my trip and a huge hole in my pocket with what could have been spent in a more friendly, clean and happy hostel!.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank katie b
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

As a couple travelling we wanted to stay at a hostel to meet other people and socialize. That's why we payed for a really bad room at this hostel when we could have gotten a room at a hotel for the same price.

The room had two simple beds, a sink and a locker. We also had our own bathroom. It was the size of a prison cell. This would have been ok if we didn't had to pay $130 per night to sleep here. It had aircondition that was located on the wall just above the one bed. We had to take turn to sleep in this bed because it was blowing cool air on the top of you the whole night and it was almost impossible to sleep because it made a lot of noise. Because of the warm weather we couldn't turn it off.

Wifi was only in the common areas and it was really slow. The time we were there we didn't see any activities by the hostel to get people to socialize. We thought we might meet some people at breakfast, but we stopped eating breakfast there after the first morning. You get a dry bagel, a piece of butter and jelly (that wasn't enough to cover the bagel) and an apple. There was also cereal and coffee. Of course you have the option to buy your own stuff and make a better breakfast, this again was a disappointment because of the price we payed.

This is probably an ok hostel for those who pay less to sleep in rooms with more people and shared bathrooms. It all comes down to this- the price we payed did not match what we got. All other hostels we have stayed at have been better.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple