“An amazing part of history!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
The Sightseeing Day Pass NYC
Ranked #73 of 1,068 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic 127 year old synagogue in the Lower East Side. $12 adults, $10 students/seniors, $8 children. Mondays free.
Melbourne, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“An amazing part of history!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

A beautiful gem in the middle of shops and houses.... What an amazing restoration and the history of the building is wonderful. I was really looking forward to my visit and I wasn't disappointed. I was there with a friend who wasn't really keen on going but he was really impressed with the tour and the Synagogue as a whole. Sarah our guide was so passionate and extremely knowledgeable.

Visited May 2014

• Czech first
Palo Alto, California, United States
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Jewish Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was very impressed with the restoration of this important historical synagogue. It is truly awe-inspiring and Miryam was a great guide! It is interesting to hear the history of Jews in the Lower East Side, especially since the synagogue currently sits in the middle of Chinatown.

Visited May 2014
Tillson, New York
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Rich in tradition and very informative”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Was lucky enough to participate in one of the free tours on the Monday before the Passover Holiday. Excellent tour and a fine insight into Jewish community life during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Very well restored.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank neilepi
Wisconsin
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Noshing and strolling on the lower east side”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I am for the most part an anti-tour person so when I happen upon one as I did earlier today I want to tell others about it. I met guides Hannah and Amy at the beautifully restored Eldridge Street Synagogue along with about twenty or more others for what was called a lower east side Passover nosh and stroll. Prior to the walk we were able to taste treats such as chocolate covered matzo and macaroons while Amy talked about the highlights of the synagogue's recently completed restoration.

The walk took us to businesses, meeting places around the area such as Jarmulowsky's Bank, Loew's Theatre and the Forward newspaper building. I left the tour with a greater appreciation of this area. There is much to do in NYC, but so much of it seems targeted just for the tourists. This wasn't. The fact that the majority of people in the group were from the area and many of them had been on the tour before speaks well of it.

Visited April 2014
Vonore, Tennessee
502 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 975 helpful votes
“A pleasant, interesting visit but not an essential stop for us”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were in NYC for a week and were trying to visit several neighborhoods. I read this Museum was situated in the midst of Chinatown. It was an easy walk from the subway stop (maybe 2 blocks), but it took some time to get there from our other destinations and I would not have added it to our list of stops if I had less time. I don't think this is one of the best attractions in the City for those with limited time. However, we did enjoy our visit--and we happened to arrive on a Monday when admission is free (donations accepted).

It was essential for us to have the guide, as we are not Jewish and much of the symbolism of many of the items would have been lost on us. We did find the stories of the neighborhood and immigrants interesting. The guide was knowledgeable and fun, but he took an hour and a half to give the tour as he went into so much detail. Some of the guests were growing impatient.

The synagogue itself was turned into a museum to raise funds for restoration. It is not used for services, although services are held in the lower level which has a few rows of benches. The restoration work is lovely.

There is an elevator for those with mobility issues.

Visited March 2014